don't click here

Sonic Pocket Adventure NGPC prototype

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by drx, May 12, 2016.

1. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    I've recently bought a sample/possible prototype of Sonic Pocket Adventure for NGPC from Japan:

[​IMG]

I've ordered a dumper and will be providing a dump when it gets to me. The total cost to me was around $380 if anyone would like to chip in.

2. Mors

Mors

Fangame Creator Member
    Turkey
    Super Mario Flashback
    That's really awesome. I hope there are noticeable differences between this and the final version.

3. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    Here's a link to the page about the sample cart that's already dumped, if anyone else was wondering if this one is different: (From the photo above, it looks like it's not the same, which is good)
    http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_Pocket_Adventure:_Trial

I had to look it up, so figured I'd save someone else from asking.

4. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    The dumper finally cleared customs after a month of waiting. After a few bad dumps it turns out to have quite a bit of differences! A legitimate prototype. I'm planning to release it later this year (my release queue is insane).

Some screenshots:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

As you can see it has the prototype pose mentioned here: http://sost.emulationzone.org/sonic_pa/specialstage/index.htm

Nobody has donated so far but it would be much appreciated (even a bit would help): [email protected]

5. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I'll happily drop you a few dollary-doos when I get paid next drx. Mind explaining the 'release schedule' though? I thought you just uploaded the rom somewhere and said "have at it".

6. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    I recently got back into releasing prototypes (and updated Hidden Palace) and I want to do releases properly. Take a few high quality photos of the cartridge, have some comparison screenshots between the prototype and final, research it a bit, write it all up, etc. This takes time and I have like 700+ prototypes to release.

Don't worry though, it'll be released soon enough.

7. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    700+?! proto's to release any other sonic protos in that 700?!?! Wow, well I just donated to Borman for his endeavor, I'll donate the same to you that I donated to him, but it'll have to wait a few weeks.

8. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I'm not worried. Don't get me wrong, I'm not rushing you. I have almost 0 knowledge on what releasing a proto really entails, so I was just asking.

9. JTE

JTE

New Jersey
    SRB2
    Excellent work, good job, have a 50. drx deserves some serious appreciation.

10. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I'd like to think for the Sega stuff at least, people would step forward for you. Eventually. I know not much was done with the 2008 haul but, idk, you shouldn't be doing everything :v:

Then again Sonic Retro's coverage of all those Chaotix prototypes still amounts to a few bullet points. Nobody having touched those pages in six years. Despite this all-powerful wiki software and huge knowledge base.

11. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    This is part of why I'm doing these week by week now, to avoid people being overwhelmed and ultimately not really going through them like in 2008. Although we will be revisiting the 2008 release over the new few years on the new wiki.

Thanks! Means a lot. Thanks to Jelq God who donated $20 AUD as well.

12. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Oh wow, no green eyes outside of the Special Stage? This makes it the superior version already! :v:

Also, "King Relics" and "Mad Aquatic" instead of "Aquatic Relix"? Now that's intriguing...

Thanks for sharing this! :thumbsup:

13. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    I'm almost tempted to say that the lack of coverage on the Chaotix protos is due to 1.) not very many people have "grown up" with or played Chaotix enough to be able to catalog differences off the top of their head, so jotting notes down is far more intensive; and 2.) I could've sworn when I read through the topics there were some issues running specific protos in emulators. Wasn't one of them super difficult to do without straight-up hacking due to a bug with the sound driver?

That said, if people were to write more down there'd be more for me to read and catalog! :)

14. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    There's at least one known issue caused by an HW revision during 32X development: PWM in early versions doesn't work correctly. You hear a loud screeching noise instead of the correct audio.

EDIT: I'm not sure if that's actually the case now. The earliest known prototype is 1994/12/07, and the 32X was released in the US on 1994/11/21. Maybe the Chaotix devs were still using old hardware at that point, I don't know...

15. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Nobody grew up with Chaotix - it was on the 32X :specialed:

You have to jump into the deep end with this stuff. The problem is, very few people even go near the pool.

I mean genuinely here's a job right now for Sega Retro - writing down somewhere which prototypes exist.

And then later we can work out build dates, and then obvious changes, and less obvious changes, and someone can dig into the ROM and find something fun. Small starts are better than nothing - a screenshot of every prototype title screen would be a useful first comparison right there and it should take seconds.

16. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    You should take a look at what I'm doing with Hidden Palace. I'm basically doing this for all prototypes out there. Sonic Retro is still necessary to go into them in-depth though. I have some ideas about to approach the Chaotix prototypes, as honestly the task is incredibly daunting, more on that later.

17. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    I think retro really needs a prototype forums section, its not easy to dig threw the general topics to find prototype/ early build / beta / alpha topics.
    Everything isn't always up on the Wiki.

18. Jen

Jen

#lapidot Moderator
    England
    Various drawings
    This is awesome, drx! Thanks for sharing yet another prototype with us.

I've just sent $20 to you, I hope it helps :)

19. Spehiroth

Spehiroth

Canada
    Nothing (yet)
    http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showforum=39
    There used to be a proto subforum, it's in the archives now. I think it was created when drx did his massive proto leak in 2008. Since drx is actively releasing stuff again, I think we really need a new proto subforum. Perhaps we should take it to Site Affairs?

Anyways, nice to see you back in the game again drx. Looking forward to any surprises you have in store for us! :thumbsup:

20. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    And it should be - that's the poiiinnntt

That being said I hadn't seen the recent contributions from drx and co - the existence of dedicated pages on that Hidden Palace wiki. This is exactly the sort of thing I wanted to see on Sega Retro - whether it's worth re-inventing the wheel now is a different story. Life is better when all the information is in one place, but I don't want to be a dick and undermine the work that's gone into this so far. Also we've had a six year head start so its our own fault for not jumping on this sooner.

Top tip though - the ISO date format helps with sorting.