don't click here

SEGA Mega Drive Classics Hub (PC/Steam)

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by TimmiT, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I was only vaguely paying attention to this thing, but now that they've started accepting hacks... wow lads you've really ruined that service. I found Sonic the Hedgehog: Helen Keller Edition.

I don't even know what that is.

Also Thunder Force IV. And Super Donkey Kong 99... twice. And all the Sonic 2 prototypes.

Good luck regulating that noise.

2. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    Out of curiousity, am I the only one with subpar performance on the emulator itself, with, at times, choppy framerate? Is it because of the 3D-environment (which should not matter if the emulator is run in full screen mode), or is this emulator some kind of Mega Drive counterpart to higan? :psyduck:/>

Also, apparently, I have to disable Dynamic Super Resolution on my graphics card or the Hub will default to the highest-possible DSR-resolution with no way to lower it. :psyduck:/>²

3. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    So, someone plopped a few of my hacks up.

Now, apart from a comment from someone who used the "well if the creator doesn't upload, then we should" comment (despite the site only being up a single day, not even giving the creator a chance to upload in the first place, which makes the point irrelevant). I wasn't too bothered with them being up. In fact, if someone wants to plop them up, they'd have my support, so long as it only goes up once. But I noticed this morning that they've all disappeared, and I'm talking all of them, who of which were by different authors, everything else seems to still be up... What happened?

4. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    Maybe Sega's actually moderating now?
    In any case, even if someone's already uploaded your hacks, I don't think we want to set a precedent of accepting that. I'd ask for them to be taken down and upload them yourself.

5. redhotsonic

redhotsonic

Also known as RHS Tech Member
    United Kingdom
    YouTuber
    I heard people are reporting hacks that have been uploaded by the non-creator. So unless you upload it yourself, someone is bound to report "you aren't the creator!" and then Steam/Sega removes it.

6. flamewing

flamewing

Emerald Hunter Tech Member
    France
    Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
    SCH is also up now.

Out of curiosity, is anyone else also having the issue of not being able to set a DLC requirement except through the tool, which does not appear on the site?

7. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Usually the uploader will credit the actual creators of the hack in the description if they didn't make it. :v:

8. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    Yep, same here. When I try to set it on the Workshop itself I get an undefined error. However, it's for cosmetics only, really, as the required DLC is set in the tool.

In unrelated news, I've heard that a lot of hacks aren't working properly, including one of mine. Turns out, the emulator has a weird way of dealing with SRAM. If you select Sonic 1 or 2 as base game if your hack has save functionality, it won't work and may even glitch out the game. But if you select any base game that does, such as S3K, it works, even if your hack isn't built on top of it.

This is mind-boggling, and pretty darn retarded on Sega's behalf, but I can't exactly say I'm surprised.

9. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    They have the SRAM information hard-coded instead of checking the ROM header (which is often wrong). Granted, they should have added an option for setting SRAM type when uploading a mod, so that's probably an oversight.

10. GHNeko

GHNeko

sega stockholm syndrome Member
    テキサス、アメリカ
    Hybrid Souls Card Game
    Considering that SEGA is basically opening the floodgates, you think this is something that they'd fix if addressed by enough of the community?

11. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    that is if they don't decide to kill the work shop due to all the illegal uploads of other companies' games.

12. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    It was an April Fools joke (and yes, predates even the announcement of Workshop support). As Helen Keller was blind and deaf, this hack has no graphics or sound. I haven't actually looked into whether or not the game's logic is even running, but it's effectively nothing, as seen in this footage someone captured.

It's a small thing, but AFAIK Steam also won't let you download mods that have their DLC requirements set properly if you don't have the required DLC. Even if I'm wrong, at the very least it allows you to see the required DLC on the page, instead of subscribing to the mod and then finding out that it requires a game you don't have.

What really strikes me is that the first unofficial upload of Sonic Classic Heroes did have its DLC requirement correctly set. I'm really curious how he got it to work and why nobody else has.

13. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    I keep seeing people uploading games that arn't even for sale on steam pop up on the workshop. If people don't stop, I suspect sega may pull the plug on the Genesis workshop

14. LoneDevil

LoneDevil

Eternal Underdog Member
  15. GHNeko

GHNeko

sega stockholm syndrome Member
    テキサス、アメリカ
    Hybrid Souls Card Game
    The community can probably act as a police force and report mods that shouldnt be up there since keeping this feature up is in the best interest of the community and SEGA.

16. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/34270/discussions/0/357284767239063274/

\o/

17. NoNameAtAll

NoNameAtAll

MY HAT'S ON FIRE. HALP! Moderator
    On the flip-side, it could be easily abused. Report legit stuff solely due to rage toward the creator for petty reasons.

Still, it's better than nothing methinks.

18. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    Glad Sega are doing something about it.

19. REPO Man

REPO Man

Just wish I didn't have to go through the fancy-ass new HUB to run mods. My computer barely runs the actual HUB program (not the old launcher they used), and that's after I set all the visual settings as low as I could. Hopefully they'll tweak the HUB and/or allow mods to run via the old launcher (which is still there).

20. redhotsonic

redhotsonic

Also known as RHS Tech Member
    United Kingdom
    YouTuber
    Good to hear that from Sega. Now we just need to hear some acknowledgement on the SRAM for mods and we're all good I think.