don't click here

Sonic Classic Heroes

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by flamewing, Nov 2, 2010.

1. flamewing

flamewing

Emerald Hunter Tech Member
    France
    Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
    For these 3, a matter of infinite time.

2. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    While I admire that you want to shove a whole heap of characters in-game, you might struggle to make them distinctive enough to justify the space they take up in ROM.

a.k.a. Tikal is a waste of pixels.

I don't much care for the "customiser" solution because it's extra hassle having to manage 4803249832 ROMs to see the full extent of the game.

3. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    I'm entirely open to suggestions.

4. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Sonic CD's Sound Test Member
    I thought it would be obvious that Mickey would use his moves from Castle of Illusion: Jump and then press Jump or down in the air to do a butt bounce, and throw apples/candles/rings...? with another button. Or, for both Mickey and Donald, you could even use the wizard's magic cloth from World of Illusion.

I am interested in all of these character combinations, but I am one of few who probably prefers to play as a single character, rather than juggle 3 of them. That being said, switching characters to take advantage of their different moves is quite nice.

5. SpaceyBat

SpaceyBat

United States
    Freedom Planet 2
    Personally I feel like the non-Sonic series characters should be an extremely low priority, if at all. In addition to breaking the theme of the games, there's also the fact that Disney and Nintendo enforce their IP more strongly and may not take the same stance that Sega does with ROM hacks.

6. Drex

Drex

I feel that using the magic cloth the way it was used in world of illusion is way too static for for sonic gameplay. The attack should use Some form of movement or, at least, keep the momentum going.

World of illusion is the only Disney character game that I've ever played so that's why am asking for suggestions.

7. Brainulator

Brainulator

Regular garden-variety member Member
    That's something we do have to consider. I think, if anything, these types of characters should be given forked hacks.

8. Pokepunch

Pokepunch

UK
    A Sonic 2 Hack
    I'm not a fan of the non-Sonic characters either, they seem to be really out of place.

9. Drex

Drex

I've seen Nintendo characters in sonic hacks plenty of times so I don't think anyone should be worried about that.

Disney on the other hand is a rare case and they have been cracking down on the use of their IP pretty hard lately.

Still, I don't think a rom heck Will bring that much media tension for Disney to want to take action. Especially when their characters aren't even at the forefront of the project.

10. Brainulator

Brainulator

Never mind the fact that in 1989, they forced some daycare centers to take off Disney characters in 1989. You know, because generating interest in Disney characters to kids is evil.

11. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Me too. Just leave Sonic, Tails & Knuckles in the standard ROM and let people choose their crazy teams, including different fixed combinations that won't require every single character to share the same palette.

And speaking of, it would be neat if different people could make their own "character packs" and upload them to the customizer. SonicTeam Workshop? =P

12. flamewing

flamewing

Emerald Hunter Tech Member
    France
    Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
    And just because I want to:
    [​IMG]

(yeah, I know Ristar's perspective does not fit)

13. I made a Ristar sprite once that fit the perspective, if I can find it I could upload it. Hell, if there's anyone non-Sonic I want in it's him. I'll even do his sprites if I can find time.

14. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    If we can pick what teams we want to play as could we possibly get a version that replaces Metal Sonic with Mecha Sonic? :v: I've always liked Mecha better. :P Still I'm really liking everyone's edits so far and SCH is one of my favorite hacks regardless if Mecha is missing from the game.

15. Tweedle

Tweedle

I've always been a huge fan of the idea of a Mickey Mouse Sonic hack (With map and physics changes of course..) , So I love the idea of Mickey and Donald!

16. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    It's a cool idea, but in my opinion their graphics would look much better if they were more on-model with any of the official versions (classic or modern) of the original characters. As of right now, their proportions seem noticeably off...

17. Man, it would be awesome if Donald could use the plungers from QuackShot! That game is great, much better than World of Illusion, IMO.

18. Brainulator

Brainulator

Where's Manic? :v:

19. Drex

Drex

Mickey is being Sonic-ized to fit in along side Sonic characters in Sonic's world. Mickey and Sonic's designs are already very similar when broken down to their most basic features, but having four-fingered, Disney proportioned characters matched up with any of the Sonic characters would be off putting.

If you still disagree then feel free to create your own sprites.

I'm still open to open to suggestions for Mickey, Donald, and Goofy's attacks folks. I prefer magic based ideas, but I'm open to consider anything that you suggest. All ideas may not make it into THIS hack, but I will still make the ones that I like.

I'll look into that Castle of Illusion idea D.A.

20. Pexs

Pexs

Otherwise known as Spex Member
    Wait, I'm actually kind of lost here. How many teams are going to be in now? And is Mickey seriously being considered? I thought that was a joke. No offense, the sprites are phenomenal. But it couldn't be any less fitting.

Serious request here: Can someone explain the state of the game and the upcoming planned features? I've been passively reading the updates in the thread for at least the last 25 pages (which equates to about a year), but I feel like I missed something.

Edit: More clarity.