don't click here

Big's Fishing Derby

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by flamewing, Feb 16, 2015.

1. STJrInuyasha

STJrInuyasha

Henderson, NV
    SRB2
    This is, flat out, the worst thing you can say to someone who wants to critique someone else's work. You're not only harming the person doing the critique with such a put-down, you're harming the person that made the work in the first place by discouraging bringing up flaws. Everyone has different viewpoints, different likes, etc.; the author is only going to be aware of their own unless others actually start a discussion.

Not discussing cons doesn't suddenly make them cease to exist.

2. Clownacy

Clownacy

Tech Member
    Are you sure he wasn't just being sarcastic or hyperbolic or making a play-on-words of 'con'? You guys are taking this way too seriously.

3. rata

rata

Argentina
    Trying to be useful somehow.
    Well, if there is another meaning for 'cons' or it is a word game, then I don't know which could it be so naturally I can interpret it just one way. Now if it is a joke or not, I can not know that without knowing the person who said it, even less on a text forum outside my native language.

Edit: now you tell me that your message was sarcastic too and my mind blows up.

4. redhotsonic

redhotsonic

Also known as RHS Tech Member
    United Kingdom
    YouTuber
    Oh crap, I started something!

No. Only flamewing gets to tell me that about his hack. If he doesn't want to know, he doesn't have to watch my future video, and neither do you. And it's not cons like "This is shit", it's constructive cons. Also, I give a lot of pros.

Anyway, why not? I've had plenty, plenty of people criticise my S2R hack, with more than a fair few cons. And I like that; it gives me something to improve on.

No, he was talking to me.

I haven't seen any get vanished, unless there were some posts made after my last visit and vanished before I came back. Everything I have said is still here.

In my future video, I will be talking about the aim of the game for each hack, then everything I liked, then everything I disliked, and all bugs I found, then a general wrap-up. This is for every hack that won a trophy in SHC2015. Hoping to get it out by the end of next week.

flamewing, if you do NOT want me to say any cons (or dislikes), then say now, and I will leave your hack out by your request (that includes pros and etc).

5. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Guys, guys, this all started because of a post by MathUser, how come there are still people who read what he posts? I thought everyone would know by now that he never says anything meaningful.

6. flamewing

flamewing

Emerald Hunter Tech Member
    France
    Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
    I always welcome constructive criticism. 100% positive opinion only tells me that the person loved the hack; good criticism tells me that the person liked it enough to care to see it improve, as well as some ideas on how such an improvement might come to be.

7. Glisp

Glisp

That one weird guy that does stuff. Member
    Bloomington, IN
    None at the moment I'm afraid.
    Yeah, I've known Mathuser for several years. He's fond of trolling, shitposting, and just messing with people in general. so yeah when he acts like a dick, don't take him seriously.

As for this hack, I've saw enough footage to think about trying it out. I actually came back to the forums to see if there was an update to the Sonic 3C hack but I keep getting side tracked by threads for other awesome hacks. This one, is no exception. When I try out this hack later I'll give you my thoughts on it, but from what I've saw in the footage, my thoughts may not differ very much from what others said.

8. flamewing

flamewing

France
    New revision $21a is out, which has some minor fixes including a race condition in the art decoder.

This is the version on Steam.

9. flamewing

flamewing

France
    So, one thing I have been thinking of: making half of all ring powerups into 'double' powerups, where you get the rings and a non-ring powerup. I am thinking that this would really help people fight the Boss Fish. The icon for it could be a W, and it would split after collection.

Another idea is instead of you being instantly hurt by the Boss Fish when the line touches him, he would instead be hooked and you would be fighting him for control. If you manage to keep him stuck near one place long enough, Eggman will use a bomb that will hurt both you and the Boss Fish; if not, the Boss Fish will eventually break the line.

10. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    Amen. Any sensible person would state the same thing you did.

People who do not welcome constructive criticism don't bother at all to improve their work and lack soul for what they do.

11. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2203/

Is this page correct? It says 2.0 and the base game is Sonic 2.md. Also the last update seems to be 09 October 2015, later than one you've posted here.

12. flamewing

flamewing

France
    The version is old, but it is not wrong about base game: BFD is a fork of SCH, so it is ultimately based on S2.

13. redhotsonic

redhotsonic

Also known as RHS Tech Member
    United Kingdom
    YouTuber
    Yes, please. One thing that really bugged me was that during the boss fights, I kept getting ring power ups and shields, making the boss to defeat almost next to impossible. For me it required luck. Doing a double power up will help increase my luck, whereas...

...your second idea will help actually battle the boss and keep him away from Froggy. One suggestion though, if the fish already has Froggy, can you wriggle Froggy out of him (or when Eggman uses his bomb to help escape the line, Froggy also escapes)?

14. flamewing

flamewing

France
    My intention is for the hit to be a normal hit in every way: the Boss Fish would be in hitstun, and Froggy would be released.

Another thing I am thinking of is to make the boss try to avoid you if you have invincibility :v:

15. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    Just so you know, I updated the RHDN page now.

Edit: I see you credit some other people on various pages. You should add them to your wiki page. Then I can add them on RHDN.

16. Flamewing, on what planet do you think that Spring Stadium Act 2's music would suit Ice Mountain?!
    What I guess I'm trying to say is, would you like my port of Ice Mountain Zone? You can view it here. Please PM me if you'd like it... I'm also available for any other music requests, if you need them, so also PM me if you'd like my music assistance.