don't click here

Sonic Incursion (RELEASED)

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Ell678, Apr 20, 2014.

1. I have no idea how this flew under my radar for so long but it looks incredible. Here's hoping you can get out a demo or something later this year, can't wait to give this a try!

2. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    I may have a demo out for Sage - probably the first two zones.

3. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    Some screenshots of various points in the game.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Absolutely loving it. Keep it up.

5. CSketch

CSketch

The sketchiest guy you've ever seen Member
    I just love how this fangame looks so far, can't wait to play it when a new demo comes out (if my potato of a computer can handle it but I'm sure it will). Also, I know you're probably focusing on stages first and foremost and I think that's for the best, but do you have anything planned for bosses? Will they just be the usual egg mobile gizmo but used by one of the Metallix or do you have something more original in mind?

I just love how this fangame looks so far, can't wait to play it when a new demo comes out (if my potato of a computer can handle it but I'm sure it will). Also, I know you're probably focusing on stages first and foremost and I think that's for the best, but do you have anything planned for bosses? Will they just be the usual egg mobile gizmo but used by one of the Metallix or do you have something more original in mind?

6. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    I have all bar two of the bosses implemented already. The Metallix Sentinel (the black, modern variant seen in the last screenshot) serves this role. It's mostly direct fights with one of them (no contraptions), with a couple of twists along the way, as well as the final bosses (one for each character) being something different. Sonic's final boss is already in...it's quite epic.

The vast majority of the game can be played through. Icicle Incline is missing its Act 3's, but once they are done, you can play from the start right through to the final levels. There is a lot of bug testing and refinement that needs to be done though, as well as cinematics.

7. CSketch

CSketch

Wow, thanks for the response! I was afraid that my question might've seemed a bit intrusive? Yeah I know, that sounds dumb but ehh.

Honestly I can just see the effort you've poured into this just by looking at the screenshots, it may just be me not looking hard enough but I think this will be the first complete 2.5D Sonic fangame, I mean there was Sonic Fan Remix but I've seen no progress since years.

8. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    Here is some footage of Metal Sonic in Hex Heights Zone Act 2 & 3.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyOf22HsszY[/youtube]

So what progress has been made recently? A lot ancillary things - new loading screens (these are on a per zone basis), new HUD for Metal, various general improvements. The Act 3's for Icicle Incline Zone are in progress. Once they are done, the game can be played from the start right to the final levels as both characters!

9. CSketch

CSketch

Honestly that gameplay looks great and the level design doesn't seem that bad either, if there's one thing though is the boss: It's an interesting concept but I would like if there was a way to see if the missiles were truly dealing damage? I'm not saying adding a healthbar since standard Sonic games don't have 'em but rather maybe make him flash red or have electricty go through him to show that he's shortcircuiting? Or even just having him stop his attack for a bit to show that he was stunned by the missile or have robot parts fly outta him: Apart from that I don't have any real gripes with the video shown (just kinda curious to know if Spindashing and rolling will get a separate button forAct 3 though that's probably the case), and even then the boss problem can be fixed way later since the game still needs polishing of course.

I'm quite excited for this project and it seems very close to completion bug testing and polishing aside, which is really a great thing, as I was craving for a full Sonic fangame for quite a while now, amazing job Ell!

10. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    Thank you! The other bosses do actually flash when they are hit, I realise now I haven't implemented it on this boss. Accumulative visual effects / different animations are definitely possible, so it's something I can look into. Pinch modes are also possible, but I doubt I will incorporate that - in most cases they become cheap and I obviously want to avoid that.

And yes, rolling is assigned to a different button for this Act 3. I really can't wait to be in a position where other people can play Incursion.

11. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    A look at another "Boss" in Incursion -

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5Y51RNYHdg[/youtube]

It's time to be honest. I'm getting a little burned out with Incursion. The game can be played right up to the final levels now - but there is still so, so much to do. There has been virtually no major bug testing (although there are no serious ones), there are cutscenes that need to be implemented, general refinement, then the menus and UI. I'm also considering redesigning the first Zone entirely, as it is not to the same standard as the other Zones. I was trying to get the game in a releasable condition for Decemeber - but I seriously doubt that will happen.

However - I do hope to have it in a closed Beta stage by then. So - I would like to know who would be willing to play it and give feedback? This is just for future reference, but I'd like to get a feel for who is interested.

12. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    I'm definitely down with bug testing and giving feedback when you're ready to share a beta. Really looking forward to playing it, this is still the most impressive nearly-complete 3D fangame effort out there besides SRB2!

13. Liraxus

Liraxus

Some shmuck Member
    Idiotville
    Nothing, really.
    I like the effort behind this, seems like an Unreal Engine fangame that's really trying to be something great, and I appreciate that.

My biggest suggestion is that if you want to make this the best looking it is, I'd add another month devoted to polishing, a few of the features in the game are a bit...eh in terms of presentation, I don't really like how Metal Sonic always makes a "Woosh" sound every time he jumps, it gets annoying after a bit, and I'd advise lowering how much of a sound him and sonic make when they jump.

Also, this is probably just me, but the worlds kind of feel barren at points, I know it's a WIP, but I wouldn't be surprised if these were open models/models from the store(And there is nothing wrong with that!), but you're doing your best at this, and that's impressive alone.

Just try to focus on gameplay first and make sure everything is working, then focus on polishing things to make the final work as presentable as possible.

(Also, I saw a sideway pipe in that one 3D segment with Metal sonic, it looks like it could be a cool grind rail sort of thing that leads to a secret...)

14. I have been following this game since you announced it and have been loving all the footage you have shown! Definitely looks like one of the most complete 3D Sonic fan games around!

If you need someone to beta test, I can help out. Anything to make this game better, as it already looks pretty stellar!

15. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    I'm glad there are people out there who are interested in playing. Sometimes it doesn't seem like it.

As for the ultra fancy bells and whistles, this kind of thing is, as you would expect, one of the last things to do. The levels come first.

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh yea I'm still in full support of this and look forward to it. Silence on my end doesn't necessarily imply lack of interest, but I am always checking this thread out when I see updates. Looking good sir.

17. Liraxus

Liraxus

Some shmuck Member
    Idiotville
    Nothing, really.
    A free Sonic game, fanmade or not that isn't Shadow the Hedgehog is worth trying out, and this one's definitely worth keeping an eye on.

18. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    I'm interested, though I do want to point out some things.
    My main criticism is that there's a lot of it that looks visually shoddy, but could probably be improved a lot with a bit more work.
    The potential is there, and that's what bugs me; a few screenshots depict a much better environment compared to the rest.
    The pic showing some kind of ruins level next to a cliff, with trees and that quad-skull thing, has exceptionally well made models, texturing, detail and lighting. It looks much better than the rest, and it's noticeable in every screenshot of the level. The models separate the bricks which form structures, there's a pond with lily pads and circular platforms with bridges, the trees look great, there's lovely detailed props, everything is appropriately textured, the lighting is easy on the eyes yet has great contrast.
    Then I look at the canyon level, the one with the hexagonal structures behind the foreground. It looks like an N64 game with an HD texture pack. It's dull, there's no details or props, the models look like hastily made low poly messes, the textures are continuous slabs over broad surfaces, and the lighting is shabby, and it makes Sonic much harder to look at. It's a really stark difference to the quality of the ruins level.
    I don't know if you intend to revamp these environments, if that's what you meant by the game taking several more months to finish despite the levels being done. I'd sure hope so.
    It's also worth mentioning that in everything shown, Sonic's shoe buckles are a near black mustard color.

19. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    I've always gone with a "when it's done" approach. I was hoping to have the game at least completable with both characters by December, but it simply isn't going to happen.

And really, Mr Lange, I need to hear those kinds of constructive comments more than most, as they give me a lot to think about, so thanks for the feedback. I also can't believe I left the muddy gold on Sonic's shoes.

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    One thing I would suggest graphically is to work on the foreground a bit. The backgrounds overall are pretty good IMO, but the foreground is typically some flat texture floating in nothing. Make it more organic or more unique and I think that'll really make things look nicer.