don't click here

Archie Sonic Comic Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh I totally get what they're trying to do but they could have let those 2 slide a little I feel like. Sally and bunny's redesigns are fine though.

Some segafication was needed though I'll give them that at least. It's nice seeing more zones from older games now, particularly on Angel Island which is now basically S3K World, which I'm fine with

2. CSketch

CSketch

The sketchiest guy you've ever seen Member
    Wait, the whole Genesis Wave after crossover shenanigans that rebooted the comic was because of Penders? I mean I knew he was a jerk but I didn't know it had to do with him? I can't seem to find info on it so maybe I'm just not looking hard enough but honestly I always thought it just kind of happened because either Sega demanded it because it was way too different or because Flynn wanted to start over in a world untainted by Penders, though the latter would've been weird and unlikely.

3. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    As I understand it, it was an editorial mandate. Penders had a huge amount of influence in the comic up until 2006 so there were legal tripwires everywhere. You saw characters like Julie-Su, Geoffery St. John, and even Scourge disappear because they were technically Penders creations (Scourge tangentially, but even so). That part has been officially confirmed.

Penders has claimed he's open to licensing "his" characters, but that's 100% just an attempted power trip for him. A, a licensed comic isn't going to license third party characters for said licensed comic, that's idiotic. And B, his characters have no nuance or even any real characteristics outside of their relations to the actual Sonic characters; at least nothing Flynn can't or already hasn't easily recast with his own or existing characters (seriously, his use of Honey in the Sonic Fighters adaption was GENIUS).

4. Dr. Mecha

Dr. Mecha

Dallas, TX
    3d Models
    Well, it was more than that:

Apparently, during the skirmish, Archie Comics discovered that their current contract with Penders was too ill defined to use in court. Also the original contract, along with all the contracts that they have the writers signed up to this point, were somehow lost within the messy paperworks. I call this little incident PenderGate because it literally open the floodgate of potential lawsuits from past writers, which could threaten their license with SEGA. This prompted them to reach a settlement with Penders and force a soft reset after the crossover with Megaman to retcon all of their previous writers works out of continuity; leaving anything that SEGA managed to acquire thanks to the games form STI that ties into two of the most beloved TV adaptations, and the ones SEGA introduce themselves.

This means that Ian Flynn have to drop whatever he's doing at the moment, write an new scenario to accommodate the new continuity, and create new characters and concepts to fill in the void that the previous writers left behind, while modify existing characters to fit SEGA's guide line (females have to be fully clothed, no relatives to SEGA's characters besides Maria and Gerald Robotnik, etc). This may be a blessing in disguise since it would lead to a more faithful adaptation of an long running game series, complete with a staff that were fans of said series to being with (compared to the original Archies' Staff of Sonic Writers); but it comes at the cost of leaving lose threads that were otherwise tied up if it weren't for the "Pendergate" that I just mentioned earlier.

5. Tylinos

Tylinos

New solicits are out. Ian's said over Twitter that people have already figured out the surprise in SU, regarding Nixus. Main guesses I've been seeing around are Thrash (because come on look at him), a robot, and...Boom Knuckles? (EDIT: And apparently Naugus in disguise, based mostly on the name.)

http://comicsalliance.com/archie-action-releases-for-june-2016-solicitations/

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    We also finally got a trade announcement out of this, Worlds Unite Volume 1. On their Twitter, ArchieComics said that we'd hear about Waves of Change next month. So for anyone else who just gets the trades like me...the drought may finally be over.

Unless these get delayed with no explanation again

7. Luck that &Knuckles variant

8. Spindash54

Spindash54

Did you ever wonder how he spins in place? Member
    So Sonic trades 3, 4, and 5 get shafted again to bump up Sonic/Mega Man 2, after that alone has been delayed a bunch of time already. Let alone Mega Man 9, 10, and 11. On top of Sonic Universe releasing so slowly, it hasn't even reached Sonic/Mega Man 1 yet...

9. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

Are there any trade for Sonic following the Genesis arc? Because none seem to exist as far as Google lets me know.

10. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    DAMNNN, that looks amazing! Had the Sonic comics looked like this in the Mega Drive times, I would have bought all of them.

11. Jen

Jen

#lapidot Moderator
    England
    Various drawings
    Yeah, that's a really beautiful cover! Is there a "clean" version available at all (I.e. without the text/logos), does anyone know? It'd make a lovely phone wallpaper :)

12. Tylinos

Tylinos

It was done by Diana Skelly, so if one's going to go up anywhere, it'll probably be on her Deviantart: http://nerfuffle.deviantart.com/

No sign of it yet, though.

13. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    So the & Knuckles variant of Sonic Universe 89 has a reference to Awesome Chaotix on it
    [​IMG]

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Good God the memes just aren't stopping are they

Also missed opportunity they should have put mighty, heavy, and bomb plushues in the crane game. Still though like the cover and the 32x coloring on the side bar, nice touch.

I also enjoy the comic doing the classic flashbacks, it's a nice way of explaining the lore now that the universe blew up and all. Plus it means we get classic sonic which is nice.

15. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    That Tails plush really should've been a Tails Doll.

16. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

"Why am I connected to the bee?!" just made my day. Well played, Archie.

17. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Couldn't help but notice there's been a lot of 'Classic' Sonic around the comic lately. Especially notable in Sonic the Hedgehog #281, but I seem to recall Flynn saying he couldn't use the Classic designs as a 'young' Sonic for some reason. Am I mistaken in my recollection or has there been a change recently that I've missed?

18. Ryuki

Ryuki

Did... Did they... Did they just reference Egoraptor? Just how deep have the Grumps dug their claws into the franchise?

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    That may have been an old universe lore rule, as 'Classic' Sonic wasn't really a young Sonic due to some convoluted thing involving running fast with a Super Emerald, so Classic Sonic turned into Modern Sonic from that point forward (the others gained their eye colors when Archie felt assed enough to do so, no explanation provided). Now they can use their Neo Classic Sonic (Classic with green eyes) to explain Genesis/Game Gear era events since that's how he looked then. In the new universe it seems that a lot of the SatAM lore happened during that time, so Classic gets to poke his head in the story.

20. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    No, I seem to recall it being in reference to his design in S2GG adaptation, hence the existence of Green-eyed Classic Sonic.

Yet in Issue 281, they have the black-eyed Classic design, no green in sight:
    [​IMG]

I dunno... maybe the GG games took place a little later, when the green eyes developed... but then Snively's account of South Island had Sonic with green eyes...

Perhaps it's just an artist thing I'm looing too far into.