don't click here

Sonic Generations Hacking (and More!)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Andrew75, Jun 23, 2011.

1. S0LV0

S0LV0

Sonic Generations Helpdesk Tech Member
    Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    I'm not sure if you realize this, but Unleashed Project doesn't adapt the level designs just because we can. It's because not everything functions the same. You can say keeping everything the same is "exactly like Unleashed," but... it's not. It's just refusing to change things broken in the transition. :/

2. Turbohog

Turbohog

Honestly, why should they even care what you do with the Unleashed Project? Their project is separate. They can do whatever they want.

3. S0LV0

S0LV0

Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    I mean, that's what I personally believe. I haven't approached them in virtually any fashion regarding their own mods because I feel it's their work, but I've dealt with a lot of comments on my videos from them and people associated. It's a little stressful and unfair, honestly.

4. Turbohog

Turbohog

How on earth is it unfair? You don't have anymore of a right to port Sonic Unleashed levels to Generations than they do.

5. S0LV0

S0LV0

Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    It's unfair that I'm being swarmed with people telling me I shouldn't be porting the levels because "they did it already." Which is what it seems like you're accusing me of doing to them, even though I just said I haven't gotten in their business at all.

The only reason I posted the response I did in this thread is because I took Arcieo's phrasing to be a jab at me for attempting to adapt the level design of the stages. If I was incorrect, my bad; I probably shouldn't have said anything anyway.

6. Turbohog

Turbohog

The only thing I'd accuse you of is taking this too seriously. I love what you're doing and I think it's cool that other people are doing it too. At the end of the day I just hope everyone can remember that this is just a Sonic game.

7. Clownacy

Clownacy

Tech Member
    I dunno, having your work called out for increasingly stupid reasons seems a good enough reason to get at least a little annoyed, no matter how much you trivialise it.

8. Paraxade

Paraxade

At the end of the day they're just different approaches, similar to how you can play my Wave Ocean where I tried to make adaptations and changes so the levels would work in the Generations engine, or you can play brianuuu's version where he tried to make it as close to the original as possible. I think the way Sol is going about doing it ultimately ends up with higher quality results (plus she seems to be more concerned with quality and polish just in general, from what I've seen), but anyone who disagrees with me can go play the Adventure Pack version instead, so... everyone wins, no? If they're mobbing Sol for not going about it the same way they are then that's kinda silly and they should stop, and I wouldn't blame her for being frustrated by it.

9. Crimson

Crimson

Sonic Generations 3ds Project
    Hi, I'm a long time reader of this thread, but first time poster.. so, I recently started trying to port levels into Generations, and the levels works fine, collision and geometry all work and stuff... except, when I try to finish the level; either by selecting 'quit stage' or by continuing after the results screen; the game crashes. Has anyone else had this problem before? And if so, how do I fix it?

10. Skitt64

Skitt64

I'm trying to make a pack that makes Generations as much like Unleashed as possible, does anyone have a physics mod that uses the Unleashed physics(Or preferably, the original Unleashed physics parameters file by itself)?

11. S0LV0

S0LV0

Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    I'm pretty sure brianuuuSonic already made a pack for that. I dunno if yours is meant to be any different, but just making sure you're aware of that.

12. Twilightzoney

Twilightzoney

Tech Member
    Elgin, IL And Hampshire
    Unleashed and Generations Stuff and Custom Works
    What Havok version are you using you need to use 2010 2.0 32bit otherwise other version like 64bit of 2010 or 2011 will crash it. Its important to make sure you use the right version. I'm planning to make a better guide for doing Levels and other things in the future and edit the Wiki page honestly. It need it for other people to get into it.

13. urlogic

urlogic

Please do. If some more in-depth documentation existed, I'm sure a lot more people would be able to get into the generations mod scene and make some really great things. :specialed:/>

14. Crimson

Crimson

Sonic Generations 3ds Project
    I was using 2012 of both 3dsmax and havok... guess that means I'll have to try to find a 2010 version of 3dsmax, cause, if I remember correctly, the 2010 havok didn't have an option for the 2012 3ds max... Guess it's a good thing I still have the installer for the 32bit 2010 havok :)

15. urlogic

urlogic

I was just thinking... has anyone ever attempted to make a mod that takes away the ability to plow through enemies so easily using the homing attack? Or making the enemies actually dangerous?

It really feels like the enemies in this game pose no threat at all, and it's bad when a lot of the time you're just cruising through the stages anyway. Idk about anyone else, but if I wanted to play a Need For Speed game I'd just buy that instead. :colbert:

16. S0LV0

S0LV0

Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    It sounds like what you need is a different game, not a mod. You're basically asking to remove a vital core mechanic that the game was built around.

17. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    I haven't personally looked at the enemy parameters, so I have no idea how editable they are, but you may be able to change stuff like shot/attack speed and whatnot. If you seriously want threatening enemies, though, you're best off sticking to the Genesis games. + - Though those FREAKING ARTIFICIAL CHAOS THINGS in Sonic Adventure 2 are annoying as hell.  

18. urlogic

urlogic

One thing that comes to mind is making them shoot projectiles in certain patterns, or randomly like a bullet hell enemy would, forcing you to quickly dodge a ton of projectiles. Or an enemy that locks onto you, takes two hits and chases you around until you defeat it. Even simply making the projectiles bigger or increasing enemy attack range/frequency might work. I'm not exactly a modder so I don't know how possible these things would be to do, but it would certainly add some much needed enemy variety to the game and I'm sure it would be a mod a good bit of people would appreciate.

Vanilla generations' enemies are basically...how should I say this... small, heavy stop signs that you can pretty much completely ignore?

Lost World does a little bit to fix this with needing to kick certain enemies, knock them down and THEN homing attack, among other varieties I don't know off the top of my head at the moment.

Quick edit: Forgot to mention that I believe it would also be necessary to not make these enemies get in the way of the flow of the stage. Kind of like what happens in every single stage of + - Sonic And The Black Knight   .

19. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    You'd be better off recreating from scratch to do something like this.

20. urlogic

urlogic

I don't see why you'd have to recreate an enemy that shoots projectiles in order to make it shoot more projectiles, or something of the like.

It actually kinda surprises me that nobody has really taken an in-depth look at the enemies in this game.