don't click here

Huffington Post article about Sonic 3/Michael Jackson stuff

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Never though of that, but it's very possible.

2. redquebec

redquebec

The Sega-CD theory is very interesting, it could be possible. Another element could be they may have over-hyped their updated SMP driver and its capabilities, as well as cartridge space.

• "Yeah, on CD? I do that."
    • "On cartridge then? ... Well, if you got plenty of space."
    • "Not plenty of space? ... At least the sound quality will be good"
    • "Sample playback is far from good? ... Ok whatever, count me out"

COuld be, who knows?

3. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    There was speculation at the time that a sequel to Moonwalker was in the works (the game, not the film).

I can't yet prove if this was ever a tangible thing, but it's a possibility.

4. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I've had that suspicion since I read all these guys talking about how the music couldn't be "compressed" inside the cartridge and keep the quality.

5. Ben2k9

Ben2k9

We stand to Fight Oldbie
    Manchester, UK
    none at the mo
    im not sure:

https://youtu.be/h0kQm_6i5_g

6. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    They don't sound similar at all, besides both being the word "GO". It reminds me of the whole "Ice Cap Zone is totally Smooth Criminal guys" in that it's just people stretching and trying to connect dots where none exist.

Personally I thought the sample was from this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6hpAihC3Qk

But pitched up a little; could be wrong, though.

7. Afro Thunder

Afro Thunder

Call Da Doctor! Member
    NS, Canada
    Trying to get outta Dr. Dre mode, and actually release an album.
    It's unmistakably a clip of Run-D.M.C.'s "Peter Piper". It's sped/pitched up slightly, but it's definitely from the Run-D.M.C. track. The "Go"'s in "Speed Demon" sound way different.

8. redhotsonic

redhotsonic

Also known as RHS Tech Member
    United Kingdom
    YouTuber
    "Dun dun, dun dun dun, dun dun, oh, come on, boosh!" I preferred that boss theme to S&K, loved at as a kid. I always wondered why they changed it and many others; then when I grew up I learned it was because of MJ.

I always thought it was MJ saying "Go!", but I agree with you that the "Go!" in Speed Demon just sounds too different and is just clutching at straws. However, if it's not MJ, then who is/shouting saying "What?" in Launch Base (either act)? You can hear that twice near enough the beginning (if it's not "What?", then I've been listening to it wrong all these years! Then again, I always thought it used to say "Go Hedgehog!" near the end of the loop!).

9. Afro Thunder

Afro Thunder

Call Da Doctor! Member
    NS, Canada
    Trying to get outta Dr. Dre mode, and actually release an album.
    That is actually a (very) low quality DJ scratch you're hearing, not someone going "What". :p and the "Go Hedgehog" sample you think you're hearing is just the "Go!" sample chopped up.

10. redhotsonic

redhotsonic

Also known as RHS Tech Member
    United Kingdom
    YouTuber
    Oh, really? Thanks for clearing that up. But it sooooo sounds like "What?" =P

Yeah, I learnt that already. Like I said, when I was a kid, I thought he said "Go hedgehog". Would've suited better IMO but meh.

11. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    In related news, Endri made some big findings, including the drum machine used for Sonic 3.

Here's the interview he's referring to.

12. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    I've got myself a set of samples from the MPC-3000 (from KB6, where you need to pay a small donation to get the samples) and while I can certainly see some parallels (GATESN#3 from Disc 3, for example) I'd like to know some more specifics. A good lead, though, I've wanted to know the source for Sonic 3's DAC samples for a long time now.

13. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Yeah, I think this could have been more than likely. I'd imagine SEGA initially hoped the Sega CD would sell well enough to become just as popular as the Genesis (if not more so) and that their big IP's (I.e Sonic) would either become CD exclusives or at least get made for the Genesis and then ported to CD.

I recall reading somewhere a few years back that a SEGA employee confirmed Sonic 3 was considered initially as a Sega CD title. I think it was also said that they considered making Sonic 3 as an isometric type game. So maybe SEGA at some point considered putting Sonic 3 on the CD because they were concerned about the limitations of the Genesis hardware.

14. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    Here are some of the specifics thus far.
    I've also found that clap G_PC sounds exactly like the clap from Flying Battery, snare BOMB_SN is the tom from Mushroom Hill, and kick KICK_K is IceCap's kick drum. Kick BD14 also seems to match one of Launch Base's kick drums.

15. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    I was figuring this'd be the case -- most online uploads are seemingly incomplete, since no googling can find any of those. :(

It'd be great if either of you would be down for uploading/recording a more complete sample collection of the drum machine for research, but asdf the copyright thing.

16. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    It would be nice to suddenly find a torrent uploaded anonymously by somebody that we would never identify as a board member because this would be a totally anonymous thing and nobody would ever tell those people from the 90s about it.

17. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Totally awesome research! :)

18. Epsilonsama

Epsilonsama

THE FASTEST TAPE ALIVE! Member
    Earth
    I'm I the only one who thought about Protoman with all the Blues in the article? :v:

Seriously other than the weird use of that word the article was interesting.

19. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Re: "Go" sample

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVb6ZuXrhXk

a.k.a. it's probably part of a sound effects library somewhere. Shame Taxman never got the chance to soup up the music like he did with Sonic 1 and 2.

20. Unreality

Unreality

I got to thinking how the Captain EO version of 'Another part of me' used by Disney, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8k4k2J3Mjo has a bass track that sounds a lot like a Genesis to my, admittedly, untrained ear. And then I got to thinking how the 'bass sound' reminds me of Sonic 3 multiplayer competition select music https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcJTTbIJgx8. Not the melody just the actual 'sound' of the bass. Perhaps its just the sound of the era. Sorry if this isn't new or isn't relevant, but hey.