don't click here

Sonic Generations Hacking (and More!)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Andrew75, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Arcieo

Arcieo

Adabat Adventure Pack mod
    Already fixed some bad cameras (like one hour ago). And please post all of your feedback, S0LV0, if you don't mind, would be appreciated. Thanks.
    And I got you, Mors : ) We'll try to use more playable cameras in our future mods. (you can check in there on my YT, + on ItsHelias94 YT)

2. Mors

Mors

Fangame Creator Member
    Turkey
    Super Mario Flashback
    Also, if you skip the first zip line, the camera gets glitched until the next one.
    EDIT: And on top of the wall with spikes lack collision.

3. S0LV0

S0LV0

Sonic Generations Helpdesk Tech Member
    Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    I think the rest of it boils down to uncanny valley. I don't think anyone would deny that Sonic Unleashed (Wii)'s stages were more simplified and wide-open in design, and being built within its own framework, it (for the most part) worked. Bringing that into an engine like Generations, especially when you're trying to match the visuals with the HD version in a lot of ways, you're giving it a more direct comparison to the HD stages which, let's be honest, have a lot more going on in them. I mean hey, if you like running and drifting on wide-open plains, far be it from me to judge, but I don't really think this fundamentally works.

4. Retroman

Retroman

It could work in Sonic Lost World :v:

5. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    I'm glad to hear you fixed the cameras, because yeah, that's REALLY disorienting. Like, I don't get motion sickness, but with the way the camera swung around so much in cinematic angles, I was starting to feel a little lightheaded.

My major complaint, and I hate to say this because I imagine generating lightmaps for this game probably takes a long time, is that the stage feels a little bit dark. I assume you're probably going for the same sort of feel as the tutorial level in the HD version of Sonic Unleashed, where it's just barely dawn, but the stage still feels overly dark. A little more light would be welcome.

I feel like there needs to be something during the big S curve drift right before you get in to town. The fact that the turn seems too tight even for Sonic Generations' drift is a bit of a problem, too. Maybe some dash panels somewhere to make that section a little more clean (so you don't bump in to the wall), or some enemies to drift through? (I think drifting hurts enemies, doesn't it? I don't remember)

6. Arcieo

Arcieo

Guys, thanks for your feedback, appreciated. We listened to your advice and fixed all the mess right away. Also, all disorienting cameras are replaced by free camera with distance to Sonic adjustment.
    Here are some screenshots of an updated version that will be released with next mod we are doing. Hope you'll like it [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I personally think you're wrong on this. Simple and wide-open stages of Unwiished can be modified in the way that it will fit Generations engine alright. Yeah, we all know that Unwiished stages aren't better than HD Unleashed, but with proper adjustments to the stages you can do neat results with them, that it will be almost the same level of visual design that HD Unleashed has.

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Also keep in mind that the stage ported over was the tutorial stage, so it's going to be fairly boring from a pure port perspective.. The other stages should be more fun.

8. Jase

Jase

~~(_ _C^> Member
    Just want to throw this out there as I have followed this thread for a long time now, to all of you that have created mods and ported stages from Unleashed and other games, it's extremely awesome to see. I feel inspired to jump into this sort of thing but I crap myself at the concept of 3D stuff (I've only done a small bit of 3D modelling in Maya briefly). It's all very impressive and I'll continue to lurk this thread in awe.

9. S0LV0

S0LV0

Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    Well, that's what would lead into my qualm with the level design you've chosen to employ; but like someone else said, it's just a tutorial level, so I'll reserve judgment until more content is shown.

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    It does kind of make me wish that for this and mods in general though that people didn't always start with level 1. How many Emerald Coasts, Wave Oceans, and Windmill Isle's have we seen? Why not Final Egg, that water base zone, and Eggmanland Wii? Start somewhere different.

11. S0LV0

S0LV0

Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    Well, in the case of a full project, this happens because the person is following the progression of the game/stages. I can attest to this, Unleashed Project and all.

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    It's just a shame so many projects fizzle out after level 2 or 3. Of course I get why, but we're just left with multiple iterations of level 1 and 2s

13. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    I think the issue is the "Project" mentality itself. The Unleashed Project is a massively popular example of a successful large-scale mod. Amateur modders want a piece of the action, announce "The <insert Sonic game here> Project", make a bit of progress, realize they're in over their heads, and quit.

14. S0LV0

S0LV0

Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    http://youtu.be/XrN1ti0HJ5Y
    Fuck me, I was up all night and day finishing this up. I'm taking a well-deserved catnap now.

15. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    Looking excellent as usual. I'm a big fan of how creative your workarounds are. :eng101:

16. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    We need more comparison videos because I'm not seeing any of the workarounds. then again I didn't play unleashed all too much.

17. S0LV0

S0LV0

Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    I'm going to take that as a compliment! Anyway, I'll walk you through them.

At 0:36, platforms have been placed in the air for wall-jumping. Since the pole mechanics in Unleashed have Sonic able to jump directly up, and this is no longer the case in Generations, he can use the wall jump here (combined with some good timing not to hit the thorn) to reach the higher path, rather than jumping straight up from one of the bottom poles. (Imo I like this method better anyway, I always found the pole mechanics awkward in Unleashed.)

At 0:54 was originally a QTE that would send you over the spawning robots if done correctly, and into them if not. This has been turned into a light dash challenge with a rainbow ring for trick opportunities; since the concept of failure punishment is very different in this scenario, the enemies at the bottom are no longer immediately firing, so that the player has a chance to recover should they not make the light dash.

At 0:56, an object called something to the effect of "iron wood box thorn" was replaced with these more standard iron boxes with thorns attached. This was for multiple reasons: First, it was actually considered an individual object in Unleashed, rather than an ObjectPhysics. After plenty of digging, I couldn't find a proper model of it and figured it's most an object so they can take the IronWoodBox and just attach thorns to it without having to make an entire new ObjectPhysics. The other reason is more practical: They were badly designed. You can actually boost directly into the boxes where the thorns are in Unleashed and you'll break them without getting a scratch. It completely negates the point of the section, so this replacement seemed entirely necessary.

At 1:37 there's originally a second pole attached to a second set of platforms, but since the cte pole launches you considerably further, it was removed for redundancy. A dash ring was also added for the sake of flow.

At 2:00 some custom cameras are employed for the poles so you can better see the thorn balls for timing your jump. I did this with another pole in the earlier section, but it wasn't shown in the video.

All this, of course, isn't counting more minor tweaks and the revisions already seen in Act 1. As much work as it is, adapting this stuff is a lot of fun.

18. S0LV0

S0LV0

Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    http://youtu.be/42XA9uW4tyk
    Once again I've deprived myself of sleep for this. Zzzzzzzzzzzzz

19. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    It was worth it man! loving every bit of this.

20. Arcieo

Arcieo

There were many complaints about the camera and the GIA on this, so we have fixed it for you and now you can enjoy the mod better. Sorry for the inconvenience before.
    We also did some minor adjustments to the stage for the sake of better gameplay.
    So enjoy this update and let us know your feedback!
    https://www.youtube....d&v=KU-ZzB0VCrU

Also, for those of you who want to experience true Unleashed level-design in stages, enjoy the level mods from my friend, N69. His levels have exactly the same object placement as in the original game, including those Unleashed objects that were found in Generations code. Here is latest Spagonia pack update.Holoska and our Adabat updates are coming too. Stay tuned!
    https://www.youtube....d&v=WQMYgNVF-uo