don't click here

Sonic Lost World (PC / Wii U) Hacking & Resources

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Dario FF, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Stupid question, but is this hacking the original Wii-U version, or the PC version?

Also, is there some sort of size restriction on the level areas? I mean, considering this is built off of such a similar engine to Generations, I'm a bit surprised that I haven't seen Generations imports.

2. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    PC version now, the Wii-U hacking is pretty much defunct. A certain Dario-like person vanished and we can't ask for the topic title to be changed.

3. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I believe so, yes. Gens and Unleashed would load and unload geometry as necessary when Sonic passed certain points in the level. Lost World doesn't do this. Instead, it loads the entire stage at once, as evidenced sometimes by the entirety of a level being visible on screen. It's possible because the levels are tiny by comparison. Or something to that whole effect, I think. Not really a technical person, so that's just my understanding of it.

Here's a highly watered down first part of Modern Green Hill
    http://youtu.be/T3Pw6BM3cbQ

4. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    Not posting here /= vanished.

The fact that I haven't even played past the third world of the game is more the reason why I don't visit the topic often. :v:

There's a technical limit of 2048 terrain instances from what I found (good ole' counting), although that might include other visible objects in the count as well. They're also all loaded on stage boot, there's no terrain streaming whatsoever. There is culling however based on distance to the camera, and it depends on the hhd file that the stage uses.

So yes, something as big as a Generations stage is obviously limited considering they go far above that limit when it comes to node count. That doesn't mean there's no ways to work around it though...

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    That and the fact that Unleashed/Generations stages would play like trash in this game.

This game is much more suited for 06 and earlier 3D game levels than Generations and Unleashed were though

6. Huh, you'd almost think SEGA did it intentionally for our end. Want to make Unleashed-style levels? Mod Generations. Want to make Sonic Adventure-style levels? Mod Lost World.

7. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Except that Sonic's movement differs quite significantly from both, I get what you mean.

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    You missed a good stream last night. Melpontro was streaming his editing of wave ocean, and dude, zoney, tail channel, and sonic the meme lord himself showed up. Amazing

9. Mors

Mors

Fangame Creator Member
    Turkey
    Super Mario Flashback
    I wish there was a way to get the chatlog, that was pretty great.

10. Venom Snake

Venom Snake

USA
    Is there any known fix to T-Pose glitch?
    Google doesn't help me at all, but I'm forced to play this game on my laptop because my desktop has a certain AMD CPU that glitches the game. It's the glitch where after the game loads Sonic is stuck in a T-pose and the game crashes after 30 seconds.

I'm really hoping there's a fix out there.

11. Arcieo

Arcieo

Adabat Adventure Pack mod
    SLW can only handle 2048 terrain-model per stage. Apotos have ~3200... There is limit of SLW modding
    [media]https://youtu.be/bhUg8KyG9eg[/media]

12. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

I'd like to see what can be done with Sonic's movement physics first, because while there's potential in some of the parkour stuff, I just don't think his default speed and handling will be much fun with older Sonic stages. Some of the port videos I've already seen look a little tedious to play, probably because they were made with a faster and more agile Sonic in mind.

13. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    I'm surprised nobody's tried porting any Super Mario Galaxy levels. The BMD format has been cracked forever!

14. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    Step 1: Port Mario over Sonic.
    Step 2: Port Mario Galaxy levels and music.
    Step 3: Challenge people to tell the difference between this and the actual Mario Galaxy.

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I think the gravity hasn't quite been figured out yet, otherwise yea get on it people that's what these modding abilities were made for for this game.

16. S0LV0

S0LV0

Sonic Generations Helpdesk Tech Member
    Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    I mean that's easy, Galaxy's the one with good physics

17. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    Oh yep you got me there.
    In fact it does "parkour" much better for that matter.

18. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    This game has very little in common with Mario Galaxy. Not sure why people find it so hard to realize that.

19. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Except that's kinda not true?

I mean calling Lost World a direct clone or ripoff of Mario Galaxy is out of the question, but the former does have a lot of obvious design decisions (level themes and progression, level structure, and the actual design of the levels to name a few...) that really can't be defended as something unrelated from the latter title.

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Plus, internally the large Springs are referred to as star launchers, so if that's not a rip off what is