don't click here

Huffington Post article about Sonic 3/Michael Jackson stuff

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jan 25, 2016.

1. So, I might've asked this before in a couple of other threads about this subject, but do we have any sort of definitive "Who composed what tune" list anywhere? I know there's a few we've figured out over the years through similarities as well as music being recycled in other games (Sonic 3D Blast Genny), but I don't remember if there was ever a comprehensive list.

2. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    Absolutely wonderful. So happy to see new and definitive details about this! I do wonder if the Estate and Sega could work some kind of deal out. Could they somehow edit digital releases of the game to include MJ's name in the credits?

I'm curious about the demos too, provided they still exist. If they do, who's holding onto them right now?

3. I'm pretty sure you've covered all of 'em.

The best you might find is in the "Brad Buxer and the S3 Mid Boss Theme" thread. I'd suggest starting reading it from page 9 onwards.

4. So, since I really don't know much about the whole S3 development phase, was S&K worked on at roughly the same time or later? I'm curious if MJ had any input whatsoever about that game's music, or if that was completely done by Drossin and the S3 gang minus MJ.

5. lordexodus

lordexodus

Interesting read...

6. Also, this is now trending like mad on Facebook. Maybe someone should shoot Jun Senoue a tweet with a link to this and see what he thinks. :v:

7. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    I don't think we'll see much of a change out of Sega, but it does bring the issue full circle to where we were last year and the start of the Sonic 3 Remaster drive.

8. Xilla

Xilla

I fail to understand....I begin to see! Member
    Hopefully one day we'll be able to hear the original recordings, Sega are probably blocking us from a "long lost" Jackson album!

Hey, I wonder if a Sonic 3 proto was sold off in that Neverland auction! :v:

9. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Well, most of S&K's music is in Sonic 3's Sound Test...

10. PhotonSeek

PhotonSeek

An interesting read. I personally feel it should've made some mention of the Sega Sound Team, as it gets annoying when many people who are not in the know think Jackson and co. done the whole soundtrack.

Speaking of the Sega Sound Team, it's a real shame there are still mysteries surrounding the Sonic 3 & Knuckles soundtrack. It wasn't a very good idea for Sega to get MJ to compose for the game in the first place, in my opinion. As for legal issues, Sega seriously need to stop being cowardly and just face those issues. It's causing many good ideas to be unusable such as an S3K soundtrack and an S3K phone/iOS port.

11. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    Well I'll be damned! It took 10 years, but this has finally gone to HuffPost! Again, this isn't something we already didn't know, but I'm positive, Sega is terrified by the Jackson estate. I'm sure the demo tapes have been destroyed to dismantle any physical connection of evidence. I'm happy to hear more of Howard Drossin's account in which he admitted he didn't add much. Just took out the Michael-isms from the Mini-Boss and Knux theme, although they continued to use it for Sonic 3 anyway. In fact, wasn't the revised Knuckles theme and S&K theme song related items the only additions to the Sonic 3 music library? I guess it just happened to work out that Sega ran out of time putting together a complete version of the game. I'm surprised he didn't mention the sample of JAM in Carnival Night, other than saying it sounded like MJ's style. Sonic 3, was definitely more of a collaborative effort compared to the previous games. Ice Cap was the lasrgesst red herring because of Hard Times, but it's not without saying that Hard Times COULD have influenced other works for MJ and Buxer.

12. Mid-act boss, S3&K main theme, Knuckles' theme, and the Invincibility theme all changed with S&K plugged in.

13. JaredAFX

JaredAFX

You telling me a shrimp fried this rice? Member
    Florida
    Downloading megahertz
    Wow. (I saw this on Facebook and went to the main page first to confirm it was real XD)
    What a great story. Like everyone's been saying, the "blues" thing is kind of weird, but it's really interesting to get this sort of account of the story. I for one didn't even know that STI was top secret. How accurate is that? But, anyway, the whole story is really interesting and it's super cool that we have proof from the composers that Michael Jackson made music for Sonic 3. I think it's cool how the team was hired because of Michael's involvement in the first place. Now if we can compile a list of who made which song we'll finally be done with all of this :specialed:

14. PhotonSeek

PhotonSeek

Sadly, I think that'll be a long time yet. The MJ guys refuse to talk about it (and are being hostile) while there seems to be no way to directly contact Tatsuyuki Maeda, Sachio Ogawa (Sega cannot give their Sega emails to the public) and Masanori Hikichi, the remaining three Japanese composers that we are unsure what they made.

15. roymcgeeters

roymcgeeters

Video games do not make video games Member
    Brad Buxer: "I've never played Sonic 3, so I have no idea if our music ever made it into the game"
    5 years later: (Playing Sonic 3) "Oh. Yep. That's it."
    Well that was easy.
    Also, can "Blues" become a thing now?

16. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Much like Fetch, no. Blues will never be a thing.

17. roymcgeeters

roymcgeeters

Video games do not make video games Member
    Don't even know what fetch is, so I guess that settles that. :v:

18. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pubd-spHN-0
    :v:
    (Great movie by the by)

19. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    Every time I hear the word "Blues" I immediately think of Mega Man since that's Protoman's Japanese name. :v: I still disagree with the whole statement saying that MJ didn't like how his music sounded in Sonic 3. If this was the case, then he wouldn't have liked how his music sounded like in Moonwalker as well. And it was pretty obvious with certain tracks in the game were composed by MJ. (Launch Base Zone is the track that comes to mind. I know there are others, but I can't stand the Mini-boss theme nor Knux's theme in Sonic 3 alone and prefer not to get those stuck in my head.)

20. RetroFreak

RetroFreak

Interestingly enough, those tunes are the only ones continued used through S&K. Since they were in a new product, they probably had to be changed. The level zones, however, remained untouched since they were seemingly untouched from the originals. Probably some sort of legal reasons for that

If I recall reading, weren't there many alternative tracks made for each zone? I'd say its safe to say they went with the runner ups when porting the game over to PC. I'd be very interesting to confirm that. Also on that note, I wish they could release all alternative/proposed tracks to the game. :)