don't click here

Sonic 3 Complete

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tiddles, Dec 25, 2009.

1. redquebec

redquebec

Looks like Sonic CD, could it be?

By the way Tiddles, I'm soryr to post it in public, but did you managed to test the upgraded samples I sent you back in the days? :)

2. Brainulator

Brainulator

Regular garden-variety member Member
    Well, I don't know what's up and all, but I want to praise this hack. :)

By the way, I noticed that sound 55 isn't hooked up to anything. It's no total loss, but was it a proof of concept for something that was scrapped out of insignificance?

Also, are we sure that E3 and E4 are the speed-up/slow-down sound test options? I honestly can't tell...

3. Tiddles

Tiddles

Diamond Dust Tech Member
    Leicester, England
    Get in an accident and wake up in 1973
    The speed options are 07E and 07F since the 2013 release - perhaps I missed updating that on the wiki.

055 is an extra ValleyBell made as part of the PC set, but that I didn't have any option or programming to deal with. It may eventually appear somewhere. There are also unused classic drowning and emerald tunes, which don't sound quite like they should, and some yet to be used classic SFX.

4. Brainulator

Brainulator

Thanks for that. You didn't update it because you're too slow (kidding), so that's why I asked.

And which options would those be, by chance?

5. Brainulator

Brainulator

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nsgf0Me4jy8

Video showing off the fact that Sonic & Knuckles mode doesn't override Sonic 3 layouts.

EDIT: Aw, Overlord, I wanted the video to not be embedded... but thanks anyway! I guess I'll accept :-P

6. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Out of curiosity's sake - how easy would it be to make in-betweeny frames of animation for some of the bosses.

I'm thinking Marble Garden Zone Act 1's boss - it flips from one direction to another in an instant. Obviously there's loads of scope for this kind of thing as every single character and enemy could theoretically benefit too, but I thought I'd single out that boss... because Sonic 2's Mystic Cave Zone boss does more?

p.s. it's taken me 20 years to notice this happens.

7. Brainulator

Brainulator

It could be smoother than that, really. Just look at the slot machine bonus stage.

8. Brainulator

Brainulator

I wonder if the unused invincibility theme will be used if invincibility tracks could be set separately. I think I prefer Sonic 1's invincibility track to Sonic 2's... but that's just me.

9. Brainulator

Brainulator

Oh, boy, I found a glitch.

In Lava Reef Zone Act 1, the first projectile-shooting gate may be destroyed before touching a starpost to the right and entering a bonus stage. I come back and open it again, only to find that the gate is shut and can't be opened again, even if I venture far off to let it reset. The only way to get through is to use Hyper Sonic's dash.

Hopefully this gets fixed in the next update.

10. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Wow, LRZ's checkpoints are just massively hosed, aren't they

11. Brainulator

Brainulator

Yes. But at least it isn't the Megaglitch that warps you into PAL mode.

12. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    For what it's worth, I've fixed the "megaglitch" by forcing the LRZ1 moving lava off during the act change. You can still do the transformation glitch to break it, though.

13. Brainulator

Brainulator

Doesn't fix my reported glitch or what ORKAL showcased. :-P

14. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    I meant in the current dev build, sorry. You can still fall through the lava but you can't trigger "Act 1.5", the act transition itself fixes things if there's anything out of the ordinary by that point. The starpost issue is perfectly valid and unlikely to be the only of its kind, though.

15. Brainulator

Brainulator

So you can still do what ORKAL did in that video and not get Act 1.5? Sweet!

As for the starpost issue, I sense that that would be easily fixed by respawning those objects upon hitting a starpost.

Also, given your posts and project marker, are you in charge of the hack at this point, or picking stuff up when Tiddles can't work?

16. Tiddles

Tiddles

Diamond Dust Tech Member
    Leicester, England
    Get in an accident and wake up in 1973
    I'm still alive and notionally in charge for now, but Neo's done a lot more work on all aspects of the thing than I have in the last few months - I'm mostly just nodding approval in the background, and I'm perfectly happy with that at the moment.

17. redquebec

redquebec

Very nice to hear from you again Tiddles :) Would you mind if I respectfully ask you to share some kind of WIP changelog? Not asking for release dates or anything, just to know what we oculd expect for the next release :)

18. Brainulator

Brainulator

Good to hear that.

By question, have you ever considered forcing the continue counter to reset whenever the slot machine bonus stage is entered, regardless of which method of counting is used? Of course, this would break the game by giving you a continue by collecting 1 ring in the stage every time you enter it... but what's the harm in continue spam? Launch Base Zone has a means of spamming lives to your heart's desire, and continues are virtually worthless with a save mechanic and resetting the console, not to mention save states.

19. Brainulator

Brainulator

I have been playing this game and commenting here so much... I need to do something to benefit this hack sometime. :-P

I found another glitch. I don't know how or what caused it, but I abused Hyper Sonic's dash in the rolling section of Marble Garden Zone Act 2, around point 10 in this map and this caused me to warp into Competition Mode (specifically Time Attack). I have no idea.

20. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Are you asking him to deliberately add a bug or am I just reading everything wrong?