don't click here

Playing the "Bad" Sonic Games

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dr. Corndog, Jan 25, 2015.

1. This is essentially a circlejerk since what one considers to be "bad" is very fucking subjective.

+ - tl;dr this is stupid  

2. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Right, except you just agreed with me about Unleashed. Regardless of your opinion about the game, it's generally not seen as good outside of the dedicated fanbase. It's one of the "bad/mediocre" games. I suppose Sonic 4 could possibly be touted as one of the good games by the same standard, but opinions about it in the mainstream seem to have changed significantly since 2010.

3. He clearly didn't as he states that (what can obviously be inferred to as the Werehog) as the mediocre game clinging to it, not the whole game, which is what your original post does.
    EDIT - spelling :v:

4. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    I thought I was alone in this. S4E2 gets so much right that S4E1 got wrong (more consistent art, good physics), but the game is so much more tedious to play what with its often overlong levels and irritating "stop every few seconds to use a mandatory partner move" mechanics that I would rather play Episode 1 when given a choice.

5. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Pardon me, I misread his post.

But still, his post doesn't hit the point I was making. I was just wondering if we're in agreement over which of the games have bad reputations. To put it another way, Mario Galaxy has a brilliant reputation. Not everyone is going to like it, but we can agree that it's a well liked game in general.

6. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Exactly. I'd never consider Unleashed as anything below an exceptional Sonic game.

The physics are barely any different, the only thing they changed is what happens when you let go of the controls.

The art is better, and I fucking love the Metal Sonic theme and hope that comes back in some form, but other than that the forced partner move thing just completely kills whatever flow the game had, more so than anything in S4E1.

Other than that, agreed with Xeal above: this is stupid, because we can argue all day over opinions but they all differ.

7. Fantastic

Fantastic

Born on an island, in the heavens. Member
    "Playing the "Bad Sonic Games"

You mean all of them? :^)

8. JaredAFX

JaredAFX

You telling me a shrimp fried this rice? Member
    Florida
    Downloading megahertz
    All Sonic games are bad. Sonic 1 doesn't even have the spindash. /sarcasm

...But yeah. What Xeal said is pretty much what's going here. Everyone has their own perception of what is "good" and what is "bad." There are plenty of people (mostly trolls, but there are some legitimate people out there) who like 06. To them, it's not "bad." Sure, most people consider it "bad but a guilty pleasure" or something like that, but there are people who would consider it "not bad" or even "good." I like Sonic Adventure 2--it's a childhood classic to me. Some people absolutely hate this game and call it terrible. I'm personally in the camp of "it's not good but I still like Sonic in it."

...This whole thing was basically to say that things are subjective. What some people call bad is not what everyone calls bad. Someone grew up on Sonic Genesis.

9. MartiusR

MartiusR

I've just realised, that it depends on the game I've played :P

In case of Sonic the Hedgehog 4 (episode 1) I've read many critical opinions... But many of them were totally unconvincing for me ("it doesn't have the physics from StH 1-3 from Sega Mega Drive, so it's bad/it's junk"). So I've decided to give it a chance.

The most troublesome is for me Sonic R. I could agree with many critical opinions about, heck, I could even agree, that it's bad game "per se". Despite the fact, that I had some fun with it. Guilty pleasure? Not excactly, I don't see anything embarassing in playing in Sonic R. But it highly depends if someone considered its flaws as something which disqualifying the whole game or not. I didn't.

Sometimes it's just simple curiosity. If something wasn't totally smashed by critic of "common players" and "reviewers", and looking for the screenshots and some "overall" description, I would like to make my own opinion. It's quite similar thing with one TPS which was considered as really bad (last Army Men game - Sarge's War), but surprisingly, I've enjoyed it a lot, despite its flaws. What an irony, that I've obtained this game from polish PC Magazine, Play (it doesn't exist from a couple of years - most of them unfortunately didn't survived in Poland), which made it's review in year of release... And yes, it was undoubtly negative. That's why I've tried with Shadow the Hedgehog (although in this particular case I regret :P), also that's why I would like to buy PC version of Sonic: Lost World on PC (after I've finally buy a new PC, but this probably will take some time :( ). It seems (for me) to have some playability value, it looks decent on screenshots, I'm curious about it, and that's it.

And to be honest, I'm not highly orthodox fan of Sonic, so I like the experiments. Of course it doesn't mean that I can digest anything (widely considered as mediocre Sonic 3D Blast is for me barely playable and it's one of these Sonic games which I honestly dislike).

10. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Sonic R and 3D Blast are not bad games, guys. You lose. =P

11. winterhell

winterhell

I don't see anything embarrassing in playing any video game or watching any cartoon/anime show.

As far the the game quality, I've played 50+ racing games and among them nothing comes even close to Sonic R. Even Ridge Racer 6 looks/plays like a masterpiece compared to R.

12. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I disagree with you on the Daytime Stages, I think they aren't very good. The level design has loads of BS death traps with little to no warning. It's very trial and error. I also hate the controls, whoever decided that the boost button should be the same as them homing attack is fucking incredible.

I do like the Modern Generatios Stages since they fixed the above problems, but I consider Unleashed Daytime stages to be very different. Also note Unleashed was marred by a terrible framerate.

I also think the Werehog is flat out bad, it's a knock off God of War that is worse in every conceivable way. I agree with you on the Hub Worlds, and I would also point out how stupid the Medals were.

I really dislike Unleashed, I really have no idea how so many Sonic fans have an appreciation for it. I agree with you more than most others :v:

I'm also not a fan of Sonic 4, it's lazy and a mess, I agree, but I still think its more competently designed than Unleashed and more consistently fun. But I mean, that's not really saying much :v:

13. </opinions the thread>.

+ - As I said yesterday this honestly is just stupid. The clear consensus here is that people like or dislike one thing or the other. No shit. I mean yes, we do beat around this horse every once in a while but do we honestly need an entire thread dedicated to doing so?  

14. Because you have a very fixed view of what a racing game should be. I like Sonic R a lot for what it was, not for what it wasn't.

15. winterhell

winterhell

I liked Flickies' Island, Spinball and Chaotix very much.
    While Sonic 1 was the first one I played and it totally blew my mind, it takes 10th place in my list.

And I cant stand the 8-bit games.

tl.dr. yes everyone has a different opinion and taste

16. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    People criticize the physics because the game controls far worse as a result. They don't criticize the fact that they changed the physics, they criticize how badly the game controls. There's a reason why no one ever complains about the New Super Mario Bros. games' physics: They don't suck. But if you compare S4E1 right next to Sonic 1-3, it's quite evident that Sonic 1-3 offers far smoother control over Sonic 4.

And even if Sonic 4 had decent control but no other changes, the game still wouldn't live up to its name.

17. winterhell

winterhell

1) Use the exact same engine with slight tweaks for audio and video handling
    2) Add a new character or a character ability, or not at all
    3) replace the content with 6 beautiful zones with bosses + epic Final Stage boss
    4) new Special Stage
    5)???
    6) PRINTS MONEY

*cough*Sonic 1. Sonic 2. Sonic 3. Sonic & Knuckles. Sonic CD. *cough*

18. Felik

Felik

I'm pretty sure CD didn't print money. Not even sure S&K did.

19. NoNameAtAll

NoNameAtAll

MY HAT'S ON FIRE. HALP! Moderator
    Okay, now I know you're full of shit because Sonic 1 was first on the GBA and it had the Spindash. :specialed:

But yeah, this thread is very much opinion. I don't even really get what there is to discuss. People'll play what they play.

20. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    Not sure how that relates to my post about how badly S4E1 controls compared to S1-3&K.