don't click here

Sonic 06 PC Remake

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by S0LV0, Dec 8, 2015.

1. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    Man, I just love how this works.
    I bought 06 twice, by the way. so I definitely know I'd like to try this when it's out.

2. Twinbee MkII

Twinbee MkII

Uber Snuzzlemuffins Member
    People who know me on the site and in the chat likely know how I'm going to respond to this, but I feel I need to chime in.

Do it. You go at this project, and you give it your all.

I've been a fan of Sonic 06 since the beginning. I still pull it out every so often to play it to completion. I'm also not blind to it's issues, or that the majority hate it with an almost maddening fervor. That said, I can also look past it's massive faults for what the game was clearly striving towards. it was a game that shot too high, and fell too low because of numerous outside issues. Would the final planned game have been amazing? Who can say. What I do know is, 06 happened. We can ignore it, or we can take what it taught us and move ahead. "Those who fail to learn the mistakes of history are doomed to repeat them".

So on that note, I praise this project and hope it makes it to completion. As someone who still enjoys this game, seeing it not only on PC as it originally would have been, but as well tweaked and cleaned up to an even more enjoyable form, fills me with joy, reminding me of earlier times I enjoyed this series. Gistix, you got this gamer in your corner the entire way.

As for those who have let their distaste for 06 be known in this thread, try to think of it this way. Once the game is finished, it'll likely be open source, and any changes you want can be made to your heart's content. If that isn't to your liking, then if for no other reason, think of this as a massive proof of concept that can go towards the future of the fangame community. So only good can come out of this, even if not for the game itself.

Good luck on this project, and I'll be keeping a close eye on it. Thanks from this 06 fan.

3. CommandanteStreakTH

CommandanteStreakTH

Indonesia
    Project: Shadow
    In all honesty, I'm fully supportive of this project because I'm doing a similar one as well.

Just don't let the reactionaries discourage you okay

4. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Back in the day I'm not even ashamed to admit my first impressions of 06 were that I thought it was amazing. Seriously. I think it was because my expectations were basically at the bottom of a volcano by the time I played it what with the overwhelming amount of damning reviews and negative feedback from fans. I was expecting a car crash of a game so I was surprised to find it mostly as competent as SA2. Not as good as SA2 of course but still a decent and modestly enjoyable Sonic game. Flaws yes, and hindrances that prevented it from reaching its potential taking it from below average to truly good but to echo everyone else I could see the great game they were clearly shooting for and enjoyed what I played of it. Full disclosure: I only played Sonic's campaign to completion over several hours at a friend's house. Didn't touch Shadow or Silver. So with that in mind I think this project holds merit as I'd love to play 06 again on PC with a decent controller. It's the epitome of "what could have been" but I don't believe it's the irredeemable trainwreck that most make it out to be. I think its terribleness is vastly overstated.

It's an okay game with some decent qualities and some of the levels are enjoyable. It could have been better but what's there isn't actually that overwhelmingly terrible.

5. CommandanteStreakTH

CommandanteStreakTH

Indonesia
    Project: Shadow
    Probably due to the glitchiness, lost content, and other symptoms of unfinished work. If they called it a Beta or an Alpha, everyone would be much more forgiving... But I never actually played it, only watched videos of it.

Story-wise, it's really okay if they just took out the bestiality story.

Otherwise, this is really boosting my morale because I really thought the fangaming community would vehemently hate the bad titles to the point where a remake isn't worth it. Now I can see that me -and my team- have a chance.

6. synchronizer

synchronizer

If you start making changes to the core gameplay after everything is set or implementing different "mods", I suggest looking into this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GonGJZeu-kA

-faster movement speed, especially on rails
    -homing attack without delay (like Blaze's)
    -gravity affects homing attack and movement along slopes.
    -additional wall-jump animations during mach speed section
    -it appears as though you were meant to have the ability to slow down during the mach speed sections, perhaps by holding backwards on the analogue stick. That would be a big improvement I think.

Also, I recall that in another video successive life containers prompted only one line from the character as opposed to one line per life container.

You probably thought about this, but maybe simply jumping on enemies should be a valid attack like in every other main Sonic game...

7. Nice. While the game is absolute poo, It still has this weird mythical power to make me want to play it at least once.

This is in no way wasted talent (as some have suggested) as I'm sure the attention the programmer will get from this will lead to more work. If he pulls it off then it's great publicity for himself.

Good luck!

8. shilz

shilz

"If they took out the bestiality story"
    WHAT BESTIALITY STORY?
    god, it really pisses me off that ANYONE would call it a "bestiality" story.
    there is NOTHING to suggest this is nothing more than a friendship. I want someone to prove otherwise.

9. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    shilz was the scene with Sonic and Elise frolicking through a grassy CG field and also the kissing scene somehow removed from your memory? And if so could you tell us how? I'd really like to do that as well.

10. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    Can we have a topic specific rule to keep '06's dirty laundry out of the topic?

Either way, while the kissing scene does tread the fine-line between man and beast, (Even considering we're talking about walking talking anthropomorphic creatures.) I'm more concerned she was kissing something dead, so add that to a tasteless nod to Sleeping Beauty, it's a doubly odd scene to start with. Like something a bootleg fan comic would do.

I'm sure if the game had more dev time, it might have been removed and replaced entirely. The Spongebob movie had tons of really bad ideas for scenes that never made it into the film as well, but thanks to it being a finished product, they had time to decide what made the cut. '06 never got that chance.

11. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    if there's one thing I hope they include even if it is a deviation, is that when soning jumps into a robot, the robot gets hurt instead of sonic.

12. shilz

shilz

What's wrong with the CG Scene? that's pretty innocent.
    And the kiss: who cares? it's probably a kiss on the cheek or some light touching. remember there's a flash, so that leaves it up in the air.
    even then, what is different about constant ships between pairs like Sonic and Sally?

13. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    ^This. If you look at what has been uncovered about Sonic 06, you can see that the story went through many drastic changes throughout its development. I'm sure it would have went through more changes, had the dev team been given a reasonable development schedule.

14. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    I'm not surprised the story changed a lot during development. It's too bad they weren't given enough time to revise it further.

It's the principle of it all more than anything. If Sonic and Co. were flat out furries, the scene would still come off as out of place, but possibly a little less morally ambiguous thanks to a mostly human likeness. The difference here is that Sonic is neither human-like, or even animal-like for that matter. Because of that, many people connect Sonic more closely to an animal than human, so you can see where the knee-jerk bestiality comments come from Elise romancing him.

Personally, I don't know what to think on the matter and boil it down to a lack of time, as I mentioned in my last post. If the circumstances during development were any different, the very idea of such a controversial relationship might not have seen the light of day, and we wouldn't be talking about it in the first place.

15. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    Sonic 06 is a trainwreck of a game. But it's a glorious trainwreck and I would absolutely love to re-experience the sheer madness at my leisure with less loading times and getting stuck in things. Impressive effort so far.

I thought any ambiguity went out the window as soon a priest wouldn't let you save the world until you answered if you shipped Sonic x Amy or Sonic x Elise as your OTP.

People zero-in on the kiss and the Windows XP grassy field scenes but I don't think anything else tops the sheer dumbfounding "WHAT?" of that mission.

16. The Impossible Dingo

The Impossible Dingo

Socially maladjusted Member
    Sydney, Australia
    My game with an extremely long name!
    Also, can I just put in a request for the Gems to stay absurdly powerful? I've been using the Sky Gem all day to bypass locked doors. Also, will there be multiplayer? Perhaps with all four (assuming you implement Metal, and it's a story type thing not an Amigo)?

17. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    I doubt the gems will stay absurdly powerful, and even if they did, I doubt the game will still be broken enough for you to get through doors with them.

18. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Gistix hasn't posted in quite a bit, maybe we scared him off? hope thats not the case.

But hes probably being restrictive because hes still a trial member doesn't want to waste his 20 posts. Pending Limbo can be a bitch to get out of.

19. shilz

shilz

Most likely his signature absence. they rarely upload a video.
    I'm sure they're still working on it though- look at the gap between object files, test level, and the first whole section of kingdom valley.
    plus next is probably implementing silver and mach speed. there's a while to go before this is done.

20. Gistix

Gistix

Yes I will, I also found some in the game other stuff/references about Metal Sonic and Chaos Gardens.

I'm planning to add multiplayer, yes. I'm also thinking about including other characters as playables, like Blaze or even Omega. (In multiplayer)
    The Gems probably won't stay that powerful, at least not as spammable as they are, I'll probably make use of the energy gauge.

The videos on youtube will probably take a while to come back now as I moved to a new version of Unity and decided to rewrite some stuff (mostly Sonic), since I noticed some problems, and also because I wanted to get rid of old code I had written like, a year ago.

Thanks everyone once again for all the support, comments and critics.