don't click here

General Project Screenshot/Video Thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, Jun 26, 2008.

1. MotorRoach

MotorRoach

Your concept for a "complete" version of Sonic 1 certainly gets me very intrigued, and I already look forward to it. The sprite design you have for Ray has a really decently made head, although both the body and arm still resembles Sonic's too much, so you might want to try differing him a little more-- not too much, since he's kind of a Sonic clone anyway.

As for Knuckles, it's really neat that you're making him have sprites that are not just straight out of Sonic & Knuckles... although the change does feels rather slight. I personally feel you could go the extra mile and actually experiment with his sprite design some more, to make it feel more unique and different from his S&K sprite design. I personally would love to see a Knuckles sprite design that resembled his classic artwork some more (you can probably tell it's the case, if you've seen what I've done to Knuckles' sprites in the current release of SRB2). Here's my take on the sprite design, in case you're interested:

[​IMG]

Certainly looking forward to see what you make for the hack, either way!

2. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    I thought about that...and may ultimately end up doing that, but part of me wants to keep the way his shoes normally face, as a way to kinda set him apart from the other 6 who do EXACTLY the same thing.

Also MotorRoach, I really like your take on the sprite, especially that shading on the head. The way you did it ALMOST makes me want to omit the 3rd red and stick with 3 reds instead of 4... but I REALLY don't want to resort to that. I think it needs to stick with a 4 color fur palette.

3. MotorRoach

MotorRoach

By all means, give it a 4th shade of red. It would probably look better that way.

4. Dee Liteyears

Dee Liteyears

deep in the past
    Spriting and hardly getting shit done
    I just made a loud "squeeeeeeeee" when I saw this :D
    Looks like it's time for me to do a proper backdrop for SPZ now

5. AURORA☆FIELDS

AURORA☆FIELDS

The cute one here Tech Member
    Finland
    AMPS
  6. rata

rata

Argentina
    Trying to be useful somehow.
    Hmm... what kind of program is that? Is it some dissasembly manager or what?

7. AURORA☆FIELDS

AURORA☆FIELDS

Finland
    AMPS
    it is a text editor called Sublime Text, wtih Motorola 68000 highlighter and my own custom color theme

8. rata

rata

Argentina
    Trying to be useful somehow.
    Oh, I see. I've seen text editors with highlight options, but never the group thing so that's what confused me, haha. Thanks for answer.
    + - I am probably the only idiot who works with wordpad.  

9. AURORA☆FIELDS

AURORA☆FIELDS

Finland
    AMPS
    I've just realized I can click those files to bring them up... Much easier than trying to find right tabs when there is like 15 of them.... Hah! I guess, thanks for giving me an idea to try it?

10. I'm looking at the site for that, it looks really useful! How do you set up the way it colors variables and stuff? I don't think it has a built in setup for ZScript. Also, the site says that I'd need to buy a license for continued use, but that the free version has no time limit. How exactly is that policy supposed to work?

11. AURORA☆FIELDS

AURORA☆FIELDS

Finland
    AMPS
    I don't know, it keeps bitching me about buying it, but I can click away. All you need is a highlighter script and then color schee tmo archieve something similar as I have on the picture, as both combined (with selected file types) make the colours appear as desired by the user.

12. Devon

Devon

Down you're going... down you're going... Tech Member
    your mom
    After several weeks of studying the MegaCD and looking and experimenting with the ASIC, I finally got it to work, and I've done a basic (and shoddy) rotation:
    [​IMG]
    The reason it may look a bit weird is because I limited the size of the image buffer and I repeated a some entries in the trace table to fill some space.

Later, I will experiment more with larger images and perhaps less shoddy values for the trace table.

13. Devon

Devon

your mom
    I have been attempting to create a trace table generator, and it's almost complete. It still has some problems with it, but it can do rotation (although, not perfect, and sometimes the scaling gets weird).

This is what I have so far:

14. Devon

Devon

your mom
    I finally made proper code to rotate and scale images with the ASIC. I did a test with the DA Garden art data:

15. BinBowie

BinBowie

Na Zdrowie! Member
    USA
    [​IMG]

Coming Soon

Also, props to Natsumi for programming the new and improved Joenick boss.

16. Abyssal Leopard

Abyssal Leopard

Spain
    None
    Looking badass Baka, can't wait for the release!!!
    Also, looks like Joenick has become a very experienced fighter. You're gonna have trouble Sonic!

17. LuigiXHero

LuigiXHero

Sonic 1 Character Pak
    I figured after the contest to rethink the path I am heading when it comes to Sonic North Island.

I decided that instead of doing completely new art (which is really difficult for me) I am going to modify existing assets I have.

With that said and done here is a new zone:
    [​IMG]

It is called: "Forest of the Lost Souls Zone" and yes the title card fits perfectly. (Thanks to Bakayote explaining how to.)

So far it uses the beta layout (what little there is) But I am fixing the collision and making new chunks.

Act 1 will keep the beta layout at the start but will be heavily edited to be able to go throughout the area, and then have a new layout following that.

Later acts will just be new layouts.

Even though I said no brand new full level art, I'll eventually add a new background and modifiy the foreground to fit the zone's name a little more. (it will take inspiration from shantae and the pirate's curse's Spiderweb Island)

All in all I hope Sonic North Island will be fun to play whenever the next version is out, and that I am sorry the last version was so rushed.

Btw song suggestions would be amazing.

(currently I have zone art from SCD, S2, and S2B. I might do S3K idk yet.)

18. Devon

Devon

your mom

19. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    Pardon the ignorance, what exactly is this ASIC thing and how does it differ from what SCD already uses? It just seems like you're going through a lot of effort to end up with a worse looking, poorer performance version of the SCD special stage.

20. Devon

Devon

your mom
    The ASIC is the graphics processor included with the MegaCD to accomplish different graphical effects (such as scaling and rotation). Right now, I am still experimenting with it a little, to see how I can improve on how it performs and looks. I used the SCD special stage to test with 3D.