don't click here

Mobius Evolution

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Felik, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    Alright, this is a really, really fun project and from what I've played thus far (first Zone, all 3 acts), it has something I see comparatively rarely in such completed hacks - fair level design. : O The music's nicely done, too (love the Chaos Boss theme. : D ), though there appears some slight overlap between SFX- and music-channels. I mean, that's kinda always the case, but it seems somehow more noticable here. Nonetheless, an excellent team effort. : O Good job, y'all.

2. Eduardo Knuckles

Eduardo Knuckles

Not a loved one, but the most hated person. Banned
    Someplace somewhere
    Project S.A.M.G.
    Thank you very much. I'm glad to see my effort receiving feedback. By the way, I hope this to be the first time this song has been ported and used in a hack.

3. Abyssal Leopard

Abyssal Leopard

Spain
    None
    I'm sorry for the bump, and for wasting one of my Trial posts for this, but I consider it extremely necessary.

I just want to inform you all that I will be fixing issues in the game as people find them in streams and gameplays (I wasn't going to do this, but... considering the fact that this game has been actually successful, I'm going to at least make an effort in updating it to fix bugs... No new content will be in further updates, though). I might be updating the mediafire file constantly (without the need to change the link in the forums or anywhere), and I might upload the file in Sonic Games Dimension and in other forums when a significant amount of fixes have been made. Having seen how much people really appreciate this project, it would be indeed a shame if I left it with bugs that would interfere players' experience. And again, I thank those who have been supporting me and my team all this time.

4. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    This is a very good hack IMO. I really enjoy playing this.
    It has new art, new enemy behavior, new music and objects like the bubble, glider and balloon.
    And this group of people actually made some original attack behavior for bosses (not just reused or imported bosses from other Sonic games).
    It feels like a complete hack as all important aspects have been changed. What also deserves a thumbs up is that the hack is actually finished. Something that happens far too infrequently within the hacking community.
    When polished, it will be one of my favorites. More ideas like this please.

5. MartiusR

MartiusR

I totally agree with Sith, I haven't finished it yet, but from what I've played so far I can tell, that it's definitelly worth attention (and worth to play of course) title. The only serious issue I had was that in first zone I've met (relatively often) situations when some "active" parts of the level (I mean platforms/"floors" where you can move) were "merged" (visually) with the surroundings, sometimes it could be a bit confusing (however it occured only in lower parts of the levels from this zone). Other than that though - it's a cool thing, with some variety and new elements, it's working fine. Good job, Abyssal Leopard!

6. redhotsonic

redhotsonic

Also known as RHS Tech Member
    United Kingdom
    YouTuber
    I'm glad this got bumped, because I somehow completely missed it in SHC2015. So I've given it a go (latest version) and so far I am really enjoying it! Here's my "Let's Try":

http://youtu.be/giwQGUX1Zvg

LINK

7. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    I just watched your vid and good you're having fun there. The new badnik is not bugged I think but he's fast as hell so stay on your toes.
    This is one of a few hacks that actually is complete. The only other recent one I can think of is MS Hyperdrive, which is also bleeding good.
    I hope Abyssal Leopard and his team will find a new concept for another hack in the foreseeable future. I can really appreciate people who can actually make a complete hack instead of just a 'proof of concept'.

I hope other promising WIP hacks like MegaMix, Sonic Classic Heroes, Burned Edition and Brother Trouble also will get finished in the near future. C'mon guys, don't leave your great hacks stranded in development hell.

8. Felik

Felik

So I played the latest version (I believe it's 3.5) and it's such a massive improvement! Massive kudos to Abyssal Leopard for fixing nearly every problem I had with the game!
    The earlier version was a good concept but barely enjoyable. Now it's a very playable, creative and what's the most important enjoyable experience.

I can't recommend this hack more!

9. Abyssal Leopard

Abyssal Leopard

Spain
    None
    Aaaaaand surprise! A special version including the following things:

- A couple bug fixes in the level layouts
    - A sound test feature, which a lot of people from what I know have been requesting.

Link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/xs03166nd91xmam/Mobius_Evolution_Version_3.6.bin

Ah, and before I forget -- I'd like to request something as well: I would love it if somebody could update the wiki of the game for me, (since I sadly cannot access to such things myself), including this update. That would allow the more recent players to play the latest update of the game.

10. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    Splendid! Time to throw out 3.5 and update to this new version.
    I always loved this hack since I played it the first time.

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I was playing this on my Genesis as Blaze and the game froze upon getting the 4th Chaos Emerald :(

I wish this game had a save feature, still enjoy it though.

12. Abyssal Leopard

Abyssal Leopard

Spain
    None
    Whoops, noticed it while I was playing here as well. I'll see what I can do about it.

13. SpaceyBat

SpaceyBat

United States
    Freedom Planet 2
    It's that damn 4th Chaos Emerald. :v:

Anyway, a while back I found a way to cheese the final boss by strategically hitting him in a way that lets you get behind him. With careful timing, you can keep wailing on his back and defeat him shortly after he lifts off the ground. I haven't tried to fight him the legit way yet but I have a feeling this is more difficult to pull off (took me around 20 tries or so), so I hope it's not patched out.

14. Abyssal Leopard

Abyssal Leopard

Spain
    None
    Fixed the bug mentioned by Dark Sonic -- thanks a bunch for reporting it. The link is the same as before, but the ROM is updated (thanks, Mediafire's update feature, I owe you one)

Anyway, if you're lazy enough to scroll up, I'm gonna help you a little: http://www.mediafire.com/download/xs03166nd91xmam/Mobius+Evolution+Version+3.6.bin

15. Felik

Felik

Your link got shortened thus making it unusable. Please fix the link

16. Abyssal Leopard

Abyssal Leopard

Spain
    None
    Fixed the link. Thanks a bunch, Felik.

17. Knucklez

Knucklez

I love 2B 'n' ass. Member
    I finally gave this a playthrough and I'm pretty mixed on the experience. You overhauled everything and pretty much made a whole new game, albeit inspired by the base game. This is the most effort I've seen put into a full-length hack since MegaMix and S Factor (truly dead projects at this point) with unique gimmicks and mechanics, and hey Blaze too! I loved the lengthiness of each act... That actually blew my mind a bit, even though there were a lot of long speed sequences. However I very much appreciated and enjoyed the design and layouts.

I will point out my gripes with this though. Like what's already been said, this hack lacks a whole lot of polish. From the countless bugs and glitches to the oversights I would have expected to have been fixed since the contest release. Come on, the moment I went super with Blaze and touched some spikes, she got hurt. Really? No invincibility? Just a ring loss of 20 something rings? No thank you. As much as I loved most of this hack, there's still much work to be done. I'll just leave it at that.

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I think that behavior is intentional. "Super" Sonic is not really Super Sonic in this game. He flashes blue and has the same behavior as you mentioned. He moves faster than Sonic does but he loses rings when getting hit. You don't lose 1 ring per second though in this form.

So chalk that up as "it's a feature :specialed: "

19. Abyssal Leopard

Abyssal Leopard

Spain
    None
    It is indeed, not exactly "Super Sonic". Since there are 6 emeralds instead of seven, I decided to make some sort of "Semi Super Sonic", which, despite he shares some of Super Sonic's speed boosts and a bit of the transformation's appearance, it's a more vulnerable one. Therefore, as Dark Sonic said, it's more a planned feature than a bug.

20. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    To the critics:

This is already better than anything Sega's given us since the demise of the Dreamcast, so why critique?

Eduardo Knuckles
    Yeah, thank God, or I'd know to avoid your hack from the start. :P

EDIT: Obviously trolling, constructive criticism is good for hacks...