don't click here

Sonic X-Treme question(s)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by DesertWarrior, Nov 27, 2015.

1. DesertWarrior

DesertWarrior

I have a couple of questions:

1) Can or will a complete reconstruction of Sonic X-Treme ever be possible?

2) How many different versions of Sonic X-Treme were there? I'm not talking about the various iterations the project took before it became Sonic X-Treme, but I've heard there were like 2 or 3 teams (including PoV) working on different versions of the same game at various points in 1996. The whole development cycle around 1995 to 1996 seems really murky; can someone help me clear it up?

Like, what exactly was Sonic X-Treme per se? How many levels was it supposed to have? Which Sonic X-Treme, of the screens below, was "it"? How close was it to being complete when it was cancelled? It's so murky to me.

My dream as a Sega and a Sonic fan is to be able to play what I see in these screenshots, with music included, just as if it'd actually had been released in late 1996:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's been my dream since 1996.

2. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    I would recommend going to the Sonic Retro wiki and reading up on it, as the majority of your questions have already been answered. Yes, there is a project being headed by Andrew75 to re-create X-treme utilizing the assets that were discovered earlier this year on an old dev PC.

3. DesertWarrior

DesertWarrior

Well that's where a large part of my confusion comes into play:

What version of Sonic X-Treme do they seek to recreate? Chris Senn's? POV's?

How much of a complete game is there to even work with? Was there any 'design document' for X-Treme (IE "Level 1 is "Green Emerald Zone" and this and that happens here, boss is Dr. Robotnik and you defeat him by doing this; Level 2 is "Industrial Mayhem" and you do this and that")?

I'm used to PC game design which is a lot more straight forward and the design history - even in the wiki - seems very muddled.

Even Andrew's project - is his aim to create a full fledged Sonic X-Treme from the assets? Like, start to finish the complete game, including soundtrack? Or just a few levels?

4. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    I'd like to add a few bits of info here:
    AXSX has been in development since 2006, with 1 game engine change which forced us to start over in 2011.
    We're not re-creating Sonic Xtreme 100% persay, All the levels from the various leaks have been reconstructed and will be in AXSX, But they will be included as unlockable bonus content since the layouts don't have the required polished Sonic feel, rendering them un-game worthy.
    Our current goal is to make 100% custom stage layouts with a completely new story loosely based on some of the original stories. Some Stages will be using official texture assets while other areas will rely completely on custom made content.
    The gameplay for AXSX has a more classic feel to it than what we've experienced with Xtreme so far.