don't click here

Sonic Lost World (PC / Wii U) Hacking & Resources

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Dario FF, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Amnimator

Amnimator

Real talk, repacking the cpk may not have even been that realistic for most stage mods; not to mention the patience of the modders waiting for it to repack every edit.
    Also I'd say edit GMI, add a fresh interface, and go with Melpontro's naming idea.

2. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Oh see, that's quite interesting. I don't suppose that any functionally for spindashing on water was created and left in? The only place where I can guess that water might function as water, if it even exists, are the tiny little pools in WH2. But that's kinda doubtful. The only place to actually go underwater is TR1 with the drill. What's the behaviour like if you force regular Sonic to go down there?

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I did try and change Sonic's starting position in TR1 to have him start underwater, I may have placed him wrong but he seems to auotmatically die. It'd be interesting if that function still exists though, I believe there is an underwater animation file in Sonic's data though, that might shed some light on things.

4. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Huh, cool. So if he automatically dies in what the game deems to be water, maybe spindashing was the only way to get across it? Or killing him is just a failsafe in the event he does somehow find his way in non-drill form into the water. I'd love to see that underwater animation if there's a way to show it off somehow.

5. SonicHyuga

SonicHyuga

Tennessee
    Sky Rail (Generations) and Aquarium Park (Generations)
    That was actually one of the first things I did:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-N6JyaMuIM

Haven't really had much time to look over the collision. I'm also led to believe that the speed values for Sonic are located in the collision, which proves cumbersome...

6. Paraxade

Paraxade

I think all of the Japanese text in the game is Shift-JIS. The object property descriptions in the executable are as well. Like GerbilSoft said, Notepad++ (and some other text editors) can already display the text correctly so there's no need to do any converting.

7. Skitt64

Skitt64

Indeed. I've noticed this a few times while playing the game. If you charge a spin dash and don't hold the button down again until Sonic's normal model is visible spinning, then you'll enter an odd state where you won't attack anything, but you will keep going and will go across the surface of water. It even worked on the mud in Silent Forest 1, but hurt Sonic after a second or two of spinning on the mud.

8. Twilightzoney

Twilightzoney

Tech Member
    Elgin, IL And Hampshire
    Unleashed and Generations Stuff and Custom Works
    I've been working on the collision with Nekit and we almost have it done we know what values go where, but honestly have no way of visualizing the mesh without making it apply rigid bodies to import back into 3ds max.

9. Korama

Korama

Tech Member
    Thanks, I've been using Kate and iconv in Linux for years, so I'm well aware of them. I didn't suggest fiddling with the encoded bytes directly, that really would be reinventing the wheel. The Windows API has functions for converting text encodings as well, of course.

Anyway, I wrote a little program that not only converts from Shift-JIS to Unicode (this is easy), but also extracts all Japanese text portions, sends them to the Microsoft Translator web service, and inserts the translated result after each original string. I did that mainly for fun and because I wanted to test that web service, not because I'm actively working on those lua files.
    If there's enough interest, I might polish that program a bit and release it. As you can see on that website, everyone with a free Microsoft account can have 2 million characters per month translated for free.

Furthermore, Twilightzoney asked me to look into the AWB file format. In Lost World, sound/bgm_streamfiles.awb contains most/all background music. I did figure out the structure of that file and made an AWB extractor/packer. But don't get excited yet, so far it's not very useful. First, I have no clue about the format of the individual music files (is it ADX2/HCA? I don't know). Second, even if you make innocent changes to the AWB, like altering the padding/alignment, Sonic Lost World won't play music anymore. The reason is that it additionally relies on values that are stored in sound/bgm.acb.
    Now, ACB files are a bit like CSB files in Sonic Generations (and even Sonic Runners uses them, I believe). They're binary tables in CRI's @UTF format. I have completely reverse-engineered that for CPKREDIR already (as CPKs use those tables as well), so I might tackle making an editor for them next.

10. Metalsonicmk72

Metalsonicmk72

The individual music files are regular old .adx files.

11. Korama

Korama

Tech Member
    Oh, they're still using those? Shows what I know about this. :eng101:
    I tried to play them with VLC, but it didn't work. Apparently VLC requires the file extension to be .adx or else it won't recognize the format.
    Anyway, thanks! Tiny update uploaded that will call the extracted files .adx now.

12. Actually, Skyth has already made a tool that will allow you to extract, and properly repack .AWB packages. His tool also lets you fix the offsets of the ACB file. As for where these offsets are at, they're extremely easy to find.
    http://I.imgur.com/l7t8Y8O.png

13. Korama

Korama

Tech Member
    That would have been useful to know, I guess. Do you have a download link for Skyth's program?
    However, while copying the AWB header to the end of bgm.acb might work fine for the moment, that's still not enough for proper music modding.
    Here's a sneak peek at my UTF editor showing one of the tables in bgm.acb:
    https://I.imgur.com/qWGZdHV.png

14. Skyth has provided the download and information in the description of this (absurdly short) video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOXmjMmHcZE
    I personally have used it and it all works just flawlessly. He has also stated that he's working on a tool for .ACB files containing the .hca sound effect files.

Also, what you're making looks like a more (in my opinion) complex version of CriAtomViewer:
    http://I.imgur.com/Zc91xks.png
    Well, except for the "editor" bit. CriAtomViewer doesn't allow you to modify the .ACF

15. Twilightzoney

Twilightzoney

Tech Member
    Elgin, IL And Hampshire
    Personally I'm preferring what Korama is doing since that would be nice to be able to change the cue names and add new ones for levels in ACB format stuff for sure. Since with Generations we'd have to edit CSB and be messy.

I'm honestly surprised others are interested in this and not for the CSB format for Generations instead to make a proper editor for that.

16. MootPoint

MootPoint

Clockwork Aquario's Strongest Soldier Member
    Okay so one of my friends is doing a character mod but the main problem is that it lack texture
    [​IMG]

He mentions that he did a "test" character mod where the texture is fully loaded but now he can't get the textures to work properly.

Can I please get answers for this?

17. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults

Dear god.

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    [​IMG]

Jesus, we must turn back!

19. Pokepunch

Pokepunch

UK
    A Sonic 2 Hack
    What could possibly go wrong? This modding community is giving us a wonderful purrformance.

20. Twilightzoney

Twilightzoney

Tech Member
    Elgin, IL And Hampshire
    Curious if anyone bothered to download all the Havok Tools from their site. All the SDK's and Content Tools for rehosting since they took down their stuff. I have all the content tools. And only three of the sdks. Was hoping someone would have the 2013 SDK and 2014 SDK to be prepared for the next Sonic game release since we'll most definitely need that if we are to want to mod it in the future. Sadly I don't have those just the Content Tools. I'll be uploading them and keeping backups just incase.