don't click here

"Blaze" - 1993 Amiga Sonic clone

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by ashthedragon, Nov 17, 2015.

1. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    Talking about Sonic inspired homebrew for old computers, I just found about this pretty impressive Sonic fangame on the Amiga 500, called Blaze. It's from 1993 so the name coincidance with certain purple cat is just that, coincidential. Looks like it was never released until now.
    http://www.indieretronews.com/2015/11/blaze-sonic-hedgehog-inspired-amiga.html

2. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    This could probably do with its own topic, because it's one hell of a find.

I've looked into this sort of thing before and I don't recall anyone managing to do loops and physics as accurate as this. It's not quite as fluid as Sonic and the health system is balls, but it's really impressive for an Amiga 500 title.

Shame it doesn't have any sound though.

3. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Done.

And indeed, this is a very impressive game, even for just a tech demo! Some of the sprites (I'm thinking specifically the waiting pose) are very S1 prototype.

4. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    The idle pose and the lava look straight out of a proto Sonic 1. Weird.

5. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    The article doesn't indicate that the game was made in Portugal, incidentally, just that someone by the username "Portuguese" commented on it :P

Still, pretty interesting looking. And stealth elements too, how neat.

6. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Wow what an amazing find. Love how the lava is like a realized version of the beta lava from Marble Zone. I take it someone at some point will port the sprites over into a Sonic hack which I will look forward to.

7. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    True! my dyslexia is playing tricks with my mind again. Fixed first post now.

8. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Pretty amazing find. It's super impressive and technically proficient for something running on an Amiga 500. It looks like it's pushing the hardware to its limits. I would have loved to have seen what the developer could achieve on something more powerful, say an Amiga 1200. Regardless this is quite the amazing discovery. Thanks for sharing it.

9. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    I want this zone in a hack. That will be all.

10. Felik

Felik

I want Blaze to be an official Sonic character... oh wait

11. Mr. Ksoft

Mr. Ksoft

Wow, this is brilliant! Going to try writing a disk for my A500 later. It's really a shame a full game was never made though.

For anyone interested, I noticed the source has been posted here and some sprites and tiles were ripped here.

12. minichapman

minichapman

I'd like to think I'll be imparting words of wisdo Member
    United Kingdom
    Staying sane.
    Getting some really cool vibes from this. It dawned on me that we never got water reflection from any title from the MD/GG era.

13. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

[​IMG]

This is really impressive! Surprised how closely they nailed the physics and speed. If Sega did go ahead with home computers ports of Sonic this would have been the programmer to go to!

14. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Are you guys watching the same video I am?

15. Yeah, there seems to be no variation in jumping speed based on the terrain (but I'm no tech head so someone else could explain better), still, It's nice and smooth in it's own right!

Nice find :)

16. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

Well I'm not studying every single element of it but it seems pretty good for what it is.

17. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    That and landing on slopes actually boosting your speed, other slopes seemingly having no effect whatsoever, being able to effectively walk around the loop, and judging by the skidding the level is made of ice.

It baffles me that people complain about other games' physics but praise this one when this fails at even the basic aspects. And no, it's not impressive that this is done on an Amiga 500 - the two are very similar specs-wise (even using the same processor, although A500's is clocked slower) and I'd be incredibly surprised if it wasn't possible to make a 1:1 port of the original game. EDIT, because I know you guys are pedants: I of course mean the gameplay.

18. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    No, I'm playing the game, and it's really quite good.

And it is impressive for an unfinished homebrew project from 1994 running on an Amiga 500. It's essentially judging Sonic physics by eye, repeating them on an Amiga from scratch, and also adjusting them to take into account this doesn't render in 4:3. Although it isn't necessarily doing 1:1 Sonic physics because it's not a Sonic game - the level design seems to be geared towards slower play.

I don't know what you were expecting but I'd suggest it was too much?

19. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    I was expecting pretty much what it is, which is a fairly decent attempt at a Sonic clone.

But to say things like "I don't recall anyone managing to do loops and physics as accurate as this" and "Surprised how closely they nailed the physics and speed" is ridiculous.

20. winterhell

winterhell

He obviously didn't mean it as 'no fan game or fan engine on any platform have managed to be as good as this'.
    Probably was 'for an Amiga game' or 'for a fan game that was made in the 90s'.

As for the physics, reverse engineering is not that difficult even if you don't have access to the 68000 disassembly.

I for one did this as an exercise and know others who did as well.
    One of the steps was record a video of pressing forward on a long flat stretch and then counting pixels frame by frame. At one point you see you max out at 6 pixels/frame and calculate the acceleration value. Then you plot it and see that it fits with the data. There you have 2 of the constants.

Now if it was on a VHS frame by frame your eyes would bleed of the interlacing flicker.

And yes, it looks pretty cool on the video. I can understand why the surfaces are smooth, but big props for having the important parts - slopes, curves and loops.