don't click here

THE KEN PENDERS CHRONICLES: a man you Ken DePenders on

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The KKM, Jul 7, 2010.

1. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    For anyone nervous, I'm 99% sure Ken is blowing smoke. Flynn is recieving no compensation for releasing this content, and in that regard, this is basically the equivelent of fan-fiction for that purpose. I don't say that negatively to Ian, but just pointing out that there is no legal quagmire here as no money is exchanging hands, hence Penders has no legal recourse. For the record, Ian is basically doing exactly what Ken is, just significantly less self-important, and about 10,000 less burnt bridges. No news here.

And for the record, the ONLY reference to any of the goings-on of Penders legal assault was only a mention of a "legal settlement;" that's by no means a taboo subject. We know pretty much everything about Penders antics except for the details of the settlement which, again, Flynn does not reveal. He has said no more or no less than Penders did during the events.

TL;DR Penders is a hypocrite, Flynn is legally safe and everyone else gets to enjoy a cool look at the inner workings of a licensed comic.

2. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Regardless, I hope he hurries up with those other parts in case something does happen.

3. Retroman

Retroman

All in all, Ian is just an employee for Archie Comics and he's not really reponsible for anything as long as guidelines are followed - the nitty gritty who has rights for what and in which cases is for the legal team

4. Cyberguy

Cyberguy

I am the Chancellor of Clown Cars! Member
    "I say this without any animosity...."

Suuuuuuure you do, Pendy.

And we all know said "certain parties" are your E'ch'y'dn'y'a headmates who are displeased with their portrayal straying from your True and Honest vision.

5. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    Can we run a kickstarter to help pay to shut this guy up? We can call it the "Send Ken to At'lu'ha'ara 10" fund.

His "Photoshop allows me to be lazy and collage smudge my art together!" shenanigans might be hilarious, but I'm sick of seeing him hound the new guard at Archie with more legal threats. I mean, seriously? There's no end to this.

[inlinespoiler]EDIT BECAUSE MY PHONE'S KEYBOARD DISAPPEARED AT THE WRONG TIME AND MADE ME HIT REPLY WHAT A DICK[/inlinespoiler]

6. Tylinos

Tylinos

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/662464491762774016

Everyone, get ready to be SHOCKED by Not-Knuckles and Julie-Su's big secret. ...Except, you know, over the past 23 years we haven't seen any evidence that Ken can write a shocking twist that isn't either utterly predictable, or just plain dumb.

I'll laugh my ass off if it's something like Knuckles having gone missing sometime between Ken's last issue of Sonic and the X Years Later series, and the Future Knuckles we've been seeing is someone else pretending to be him, so Ken can claim copyright on this guy. That just seems exactly like the kind of SHOCKING TWIST Ken would throw in to avoid legal issues and "surprise" readers.

7. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    ...erm, rather over-estimating your fanbase there, Penders? I mean, I know he's a blowhard, but multiple languages with an audio track?

8. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    This winter, huh? I'm doubting that based on what we've seen so far, but hey. This is the most un-vague thing I remember him saying about a release date, so maybe he means it.

9. What's going on? Penders is throwing his toys out of the pram because Archie is doing what Marvel and DC are doing: launching a comic book app.

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/664977611089534976

10. Tylinos

Tylinos

Well, technically, Archie already had an app. They're just relaunching it for a rebrand with the new Archie style.

Hey, anyone who can check the app, can you let us know if any of Ken's Sonic work is reprinted on there? Horridus over on Stadium already noted that his Impact Comics work (with Captain Comet and Jaguar) aren't on it, but there hasn't been any word on his Sonic stuff. (Which was already reprinted on the old app.)

11. The Claw

The Claw

As much as I loved the height of Knuckles' comics popularity as a kid, frankly the changes to work in post-Sonic Adventure games did more damage (in terms of how I perceived the comic universe) than Ken's behavior or its fallout.

I think I stopped regularly reading new issues at release shortly after the Xorda were introduced.

12. Tylinos

Tylinos

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/666354219234947072

You know, I'd love to know where Ken gets this "everyone hates creators getting reprint royalties" thing, when we've had 5+ years of almost everyone saying that's the one thing he's been doing that they don't have a problem with.

I support the idea of creatives getting reprint royalties. That doesn't mean I support Ken's generally bad attitude.

The dude's shown over the past 5+ years that he just doesn't get the problem, always changing the point and misrepresenting people's words every time it's explained to him. Even now, he's taking people not liking him and representing it as people not liking creators getting royalties. I just don't get it. It's not just ego speaking there. It doesn't feel that way to me. It just makes no sense.

13. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=185499218#post185499218

Sooo I scared the crap out of ToonamiGAF the other day by showing them Pender's works. its soo funny to see Gamer/outside fandom people's reactions to this Lara Su crap especially the horror art.

14. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Because it's the one thing that could possibly get people feeling sympathy for him, so he has to keep emphasising it over any other criticism of him.

15. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    Haven't seen this jewel posted here yet, Penders justifying the name-change from Echidna to Ech'ydna in his lovably sensible, absolutely logical hitting-the-mark way. https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/441399271678435328 (I at least ASSUME he meant to write "people have trouble pronouncing echidna")

16. Quarterman

Quarterman

Just another day in paradise. Member
    I noticed a bit further down in his twitter that he has art of Sally Acorn as an "Ebay promo". Can he even do that?

17. Tylinos

Tylinos

Well, it's eBay, so you can sell pretty much anything there.

18. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    Oops, I tried to use logic on Penders
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And it just got worse from there, even despite Overlord's help

EDIT: By the time he said "Well Marvel and DC pay creators for the work they did 20 years ago, why can't I get paid?", I just gave up.

19. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I see no problem with the translators being paid for that release. After all, they did some work on it. Penders did fuck-all. The royalties system for a lot of this is so damn broken.

20. Tylinos

Tylinos

Honestly, I don't really agree with your argument there, Chris. Unless it happened way back when the issue was first printed, translations are pretty much the same as any other reprints. I really don't like Ken's attitude on the issue, but I still feel he's just as entitled to reprint royalties as anyone else involved.

Doesn't mean he should be pulling shit like this in his response, though:

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/692848535125889024

Just wow. That's a pretty dickish loaded question there, Ken.