don't click here

Sonic Lost World (Wii U, 3DS, PC) Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, May 17, 2013.

1. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    I'm surprised people are excited about this. Sonic Lost World is quite mediocre.

2. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    You see a product, others see a playground. If it can be moddable as quickly as Generations, expect to see some interesting mods to come out of this.

3. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    It should be easier to mod than Generations. But someone will have to want to bother modding it of course.

4. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I think it's decent. And more importantly, it's another Sonic game that a lot of people haven't had the opportunity to play that's now being ported to one of the most accessible platforms with the potential to be modded as well.

There's every reason to be excited about this. It's not as if the game is virtually universally seen as a diabolical mess either.

5. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Sonic Lost World is mediocre overall, but it's not a consistent mediocre - it has good parts and bad parts.

With modding, you can keep the good parts and replace the bad parts. With the right technology, we can rebui- no, wait...

6. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Yeah I can't wait to see the mod potential come from this, plus all the Generations modding tools getting an update from this release as well.

7. Kyuu

Kyuu

Memory Access Violation Member
    Huh.

Gotta admit, even though I bitched about this game a lot on Skype back when I was playing it, I'm interested by this. A good 90% of my complaints about Lost World came down to level design, and with a PC version making modding/level importing that much more straightforward, I can see this being quite fun to play with.

I'm hoping against hope that the press release talking about PC ports of older games means we'll get a PC version of Unleashed, though :( Yeah, I'm one of those people who actually enjoyed the Werehog gameplay despite how ridiculous the concept was, so there you go

8. Faseeh

Faseeh

The port is such great news. Hoping it can bring back some more interest in the hacking scene, it's been a lil' dead imo.

Might be a stupid question, but any reason for the PSA in the topic title? (I'm not sure if it's a joke or an actual thing) I can't see anything that could go wrong with pre-ordering it from what I've read.

9. Kyuu

Kyuu

Memory Access Violation Member
    Quoting from earlier in the thread:

Basically, keep an eye on the price to see if it drops before pre-ordering. :)

10. Conando

Conando

Is not, in fact, Raphael Member
    Lynn, MA
    MarioMedia.net FTP
    ...Huh, this came as a bit of a shock. I might actually grab it again on PC for the mod potential because, even though SEGA probably won't be fixing some of the issues it had, you can bet on the community taking a crack at it. For what it's worth, I actually did like LW, though it was a deeply flawed game.

11. DSE

DSE

France
    Aw god, SEGA ! You made me buy a Wii U for nothing (Sonic Boom ? Hum ...)

Still, because I enjoyed it more than Generations, I probably buy the Steam version to play more frequetly (because my family bought the Wii U and is not that accessible) and probably for the future mods (maybe a Colors one ?)

Also I read on TSSZ that SEGA will put on Steam other old games (by old, they probably say released in last years) and it will great if Sonic the Fighters and Daytona USA come on Steam (even I play those games on Model 2 Emulator since a long time).

12. Twilightzoney

Twilightzoney

Tech Member
    Elgin, IL And Hampshire
    Unleashed and Generations Stuff and Custom Works
    I honestly made a joke a few days ago to iGamr and some others about Unleashed coming on pc. Only if Lost World came to PC before it. And then I see this ends up happening. It must be a sign....

Excited for this since we'll be able to play it in 1080p and port over the Generations Shaders since Lost World's shaders are complete crap. It has no gloss or pow and specularity it set very low in this game. It will make things 100x better if we can do that. Plus redo the GI since the GI system is very basic now. Quite exciting. My hope is that they have in-game cutscenes and not the pre-rendered ones. (I know I'm asking for too much. But it would make modding a lot more fun)

13. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    On TSSZ? Not here on Sonic Retro? :v:

14. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Just a thought - I wonder who's actually behind this port. SEGA has a history of outsourcing their PC ports to other companies but normally don't go into details. CD and Jet Set Radio were both ported by Blitworks, while Generations, Binary Domain and Virtua Tennis were ported by a Sheffield-based company called Devil's Details (also, who ported SADX for Steam?). Devil's Details would have been my first guess considering Generations, but they've been quiet even since 2012. It actually looks like Generations was their last project. And let's be honest, it wasn't the best effort on all fronts.

It'll be interesting to see the quality of the port. I'm not really expecting great things.

15. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    It's most likely that SEGA Europe handled the port, seeing how they handled the Valkyria Chronicles port last year and they're the ones talking about porting games to PC in the press release for Lost World. If they're the ones doing it, expect it to be a good port. Probably a better port than Generations really.

SEGA used to list the studio that ported the game to PC as the developer on Steam, which would usually be either Devil's Details or one of SEGA's internal studios. In this case Sonic Team is listed though, and I doubt that they handled this port.

16. RazoZen

RazoZen

Moscow
    One less reason to buy a Wii U. LOL. Already pre-ordered it on Steam. I think it will be quite fun to play it.

17. DSE

DSE

France
    I don't really read Retro's news, mostly the Forum.

18. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Yeah, okay, I get the "nobody looks at the front page" thing.

;_;

19. I look at it everyday :v:

20. gold lightning

gold lightning