don't click here

32X Kolibri Prototype for sale

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by H Hog, Sep 14, 2015.

1. H Hog

H Hog

The Ultimate Oswald! Oldbie
    Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    Sonic and the Rings of Order (Artwork)
    So yeah, as the title says, I found a prototype for the 32X game "Kolibri" for sale on Dutch auction website Catawiki.
    I'm not sure if this is a game that's already been dumped or if it's something people are even really going to be interested in to begin with (even though it is a rather pretty looking game), but I figured I'd share the news for those among us who might be interested.
    There is a reserve price on it though, and the auctioneer's estimate lies around €250-325.
    I naturally don't plan on buying it myself for that amount as I don't even own a 32X to begin with, but if someone really wants it, I don't mind being "buyer by proxy" if they rather not register an account for an auction website they're only going to visit once. Plus I'll spring for shipping to wherever it'll end up, I can at least do that much.
    Keep in mind that whatever the sale amount will turn out to be, 9% will be added on top of it, as an auction fee.
    And finally, the auction will close this Thursday, so there is a time limit involved, as there is no way to contact the seller without actually being the auction winner; either before or after the auction closes.

Anyway, here's the page it's being sold on: http://auction.catawiki.com/kavels/2849621-sega-mega-drive-32x-kolibri-prototype-sample-game

EDIT: Oh yeah, the sticker on the back implies it was sent to Germany, making this most likely a PAL version of the game (if that even makes a difference for reprogrammable dev cartridges? I'm not sure myself, but it might be a thing to consider.)

2. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    This is bad timing. I can't afford it at the moment, but I'd be interested to know if this was an earlier build when the game was less shmup and more like ecco, where instead of managing your air supply, you had to manage your energy by sucking on nectar.

3. H Hog

H Hog

Hm... took a better look at the seller's notes, here's my hand-translated version not done by Google:

"I have compared the game to the retail version and it differs (by?) a few bits. I don't know the exact difference, but it's most likely a personal code (build?) from a programmer or magazine this was once sent to."

...It seems to imply that he has a means of dumping the cart himself, and "differs a few bits" doesn't seem to suggest a huge difference. So your mileage may vary as to whether or not this is going to be worth dropping several hundred euro's on, depending how badly one wants to own a cartridge like this.

4. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    Same proto has been on eBay for a month or so now. He also has a Youtube video up for it and it looks like it's just the retail copy. I'd guess a review sample rather than anything early. The eBay description doesn't mention any varied differences unlike this one here, though.

Not worth the gamble, I'd say. I'm used to being burned too much, though :)

5. Vangar

Vangar

The prototype is almost cheaper than buying a real copy of this one. Ebay prices for Kolibri are ridiculous.

6. H Hog

H Hog

Alright, well since this is the last day for the auction, I'll assume nobody's really interested, then. =P

7. Flygon

Flygon

Well, it's cheaper than a fair few final ver. Kolibri auctions, I've heard. Could try seeing if anyone wants a copy of the game regardless of proto status! :v: