don't click here

Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice (3DS, developed by Sanzaru)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
  2. Icewarrior

Icewarrior

I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S !!11!!!1!! Member
    Isn't the game planned for Fall 2015?

Obviously they thought the game would sell without any advertising, as they do with most of their games :rolleyes:

3. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    To be fair, the audience for this game mainly seems to be kids who wouldn't pay attention to online trailers and conventions.

4. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    So apparently Gamefly and Amazon Germany have changed the date to a placeholder 2016 date. Sounds like the game might have been delayed, which would explain the lack of marketing.

Sega delaying a Sonic game would be kinda unexpected though.

5. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    It would certainly be a refreshing decision though. Actually admitting your game needs some more work? Blasphemy!

6. gold lightning

gold lightning

7. That's one lesson learned, then, I guess. Whether they have learned any others is another story (and one we'd have to wait for the next home console game to be released for that to be answered, I'd wager). At least ehy're acknowledging that it may need more time than they thought. Where was this thinking a decade ago?

8. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    If the quality of the games can match the quality of the shows, I won't have much to complain about.

Except, you know, I still want a mainline Sonic game :colbert:

9. Beltway

Beltway

Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    On one hand, this could mean the proof of upholding game quality over shipping dates promised by the new CEO is definitely in the pudding now. In terms of QA for Sonic games, this delay could be the best news for the series in a long time.

....but on the other hand, it depends on how long the game will be delayed and (more importantly) exactly what is going to be changed during that time. Because given how Fire & Ice is basically Shattered Crystal in a new coat of paint, the game would need a lot of retooling (if not being scrapped altogether for a new design brief) to be changed into a game people actually want to buy.

Remember when Sega delayed Sonic 4: Episode I for a few months to "ensure that Sonic 4: Episode I is a game worthy of bearing the weight of its name" after the Partnernet beta leaked and people (rightfully) cried foul about the gameplay and levels? And the majority of the changes that happened with that title were cosmetic changes at best and did not address the loudest complaints? The two gimmick levels in the beta that were loudly decried were replaced in the console versions with two new levels made from scratch, and were easily the most notable changes made during the beta and the final game. Those changes of which were good and much appreciated, but the physics and excessive automation staying the same in that title otherwise made the delay completely pointless.

Likewise, if only token changes are planned and/or happening to Boom: Fire and Ice as we speak, then Sega might as well have released the game on its original date, because people aren't going to buy what they will perceive to be a polished turd of a game.

Also don't mean to twist the knife further, but the game being delayed is the first official news we've heard about it, months after its reveal? :ohdear:

10. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Wow, this is a turn around. Officially the reason may be for quality, but I don't expect that that's really going to hold water. The game will still blow, it'll still be largely ignored. It's probably because the game is such a low priority that SEGA are able to push it back like this. If by any chance this actually is because SEGA wants to put some merit to the Boom game series, this is a very funny way of going about it. But no, I don't expect that's the case. This game is virtually just Shattered Crystal 2 - it shouldn't need any extra work. This delay can't be positive really.

11. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Mechanically, sure, it's Shattered Crystal 2. But they are trying to make the level design different, with it being more linear and exploration being optional. And really the biggest problem with the game was the level design.

Sanzaru's not a bad game developer. Before Shattered Crystal they made Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time and that game was pretty good and had a lot more variety. I think that if they have enough time they could make this a pretty decent game.

12. Beltway

Beltway

Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    On that note, it's worth pointing out that this holiday season has a fair amount of highly-anticipated high-profile releases. A mainline Sonic game would probably hold on its own, but Fire and Ice? With its status as a handheld tie-in to the show, it holding the baggage of negative notoriety that are the previous two Boom games the moment it was even conceived, and it not looking so great on its own merits? It would simply get lost in the storm.

With that in mind, this seems like the more likely reality to me for the reasons behind Fire and Ice's delay.

13. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

It wasn't just the level design that held Shattered Crystal back; the game's core mechanics botched it as well, from the story progression to what the gameplay actually was and the multiple character system. One of those is being fixed, but not the rest (it's been made worse with the addition of yet another character into that stupid set up). Plus it had an absolutely painful script. Not the biggest problem, sure, but it still counts. All the improvements being made do not sound nor look like they're going to made a significant difference. It will just be a "less bad" experience, absolutely mediocre at best.

Sanzaru's a very decent developer. You don't need to convince me of that. But the Boom games aren't supposed to be good, they're just supposed to sell for SEGA. I don't think the make up of Sanzaru's Boom games will ever allow them to be good.

SEGA has taught me very well that any skepticism towards a Sonic game is usually very warranted. I just rewatched that F&I footage from Joypolis, and yeah I had forgotten that it is so clearly a marked improvement on SC. But I'm still not convinced, in part due to how little attention SEGA has given it and the rest due to experience. It would be really, really great to have confidence in the series again. I was so hopeful and optimistic about RoL until we got our first look at it outside of the trailer.

14. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    On consoles, sure. But I can't think of many 3DS games coming out aside from the weird Zelda co-op game and Chibi Robo. Aside from that, if it was just because of a packed holiday schedule, they likely would have had a more specific release date than "in 2016 when it's ready".

15. Jen

Jen

#lapidot Moderator
    England
    Various drawings
    Oh yay, it's been delayed to next year, which means it'll probably be out just in time for Sonic's 25th anniversary! =P

I'm curious as to what improvements are being made to this to warrant such a delay. We barely have anything to go on here, given how very little we've actually seen of this game so far. I'm not very optimistic about the whole thing though, considering all the issues with Shattered Crystal's gameplay.

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    *clap clap clap*

SEGA I respect you for delaying this game for quality concerns. I know you've done this before with Sonic 4 Ep 1 and that game was... less than stellar, but it at least appears that you have put the fans interest in mind when making this decision, rather than getting something out the door by Christmas. While the quality of this game remains to be seen, it's a classy move at the very least.

17. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member
    It's a real shame a move like this is considered a big deal, when in essence it is just a common sense move =T

18. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Just think of it like a teacher congratulating the last of her third graders to understand multiplication. Kid needs some positive reinforcement after making the same mistakes over and over again.

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    precisely, the child finally shat in the toilet instead of in their pants or on the floor. It's reason to celebrate

20. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Probably worth pointing out this thing the CEO of the SEGA Games division said in July.