don't click here

Sonic Classic 2

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Hez, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    The sprite alignment with the rope is my bad. While designing the level I've been using normal mode. I switched it to Sonic 2 mode just to record the video. Very early WIP.

Also, the level pace gets faster right after that part actually with a spin tube and loop.

2. I'm happy to see that this project is still alive, Hez! I had a blast making the music which seems like forever ago.

3. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    I'm glad! Music sounds great and memorable :P

So, I wasn't going to do it...but

[​IMG]

VERY wip. Since the notes say the graphics basically got reused for "The Machine" in spinball, I figured it would be the best place to start. It will play VERY similiar to Metropolis act 3.

4. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Even with it being WIP it looks fantastic Hez. Very strong and impressive visually. You were always super talented with level art and the screenshot conveys that. So with this being a level from presumably quite late in the game am I right in presuming you're quite far along now in terms of completion of the overall game?

5. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    When I've heard the Machine featured graphics from Sonic 2, I always had a hard time seeing it because they seemed so much more sparse and basic than I expected Sonic 2 graphics to be. But seeing those assets in a Sonic game, I totally see how they would fit now. Almost has a Sonic CD vibe!

Looking forward to it as always, Hez!

6. thevaleev

thevaleev

Russia
    Sonic Game Land
    Woah, remaking levels from Sonic Spinball? Dude, you don't know how I love this game. I'm so hyped to see this in action.

7. Not what's going on. The level art from a scrapped S2 level was used in spinball. He's using that art from spinball to remake the level.

8. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    Since its been a while, here's some game-play of your secondary nemesis of the game, Fang! This time, you'll be able to play through Sonic Classic 1 and 2 with him and go through all sorts of different routes to catch up to Sonic to make sure his current path is spoiled.

Gameplay is super similiar to Yoshi in Super Mario World 2 (even used sound effects temporarily). I ended up recording more than I expected because its actually super enjoyable and a refreshing gameplay style.

https://youtu.be/ZHCKHCksiTk

Again, the video quality is horse shit. If anybody seriously has any suggestions on what to use to record so you-tube doesn't automatically set the quality to 240 and just thrash it let me know.

9. MotorRoach

MotorRoach

I'm not going to lie, I swear that was done only for the purpose of a joke video and nothing else. The idea for Fang's aiming is an interesting idea, but I think that something about it could be changed, just so it wouldn't end up being a straight clone from the egg throw in Yoshi's Island. The flutter jump, on the other hand, just looks ridiculous and unfitting, because it's the same as if Sonic tried to fly by waving his arms really fast.

Unless you literally want an excuse to put a Yoshi reskin in the game, I recommend changing his ability to something else-- such as making use of his spring tail, which is... like, one of the distinct things about him, not waving his legs in the air.

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Agreed. I could totally see a Scrooge McDuck cane type move working for Fang's tail. The fluttering? Kinda odd.

11. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    Ill be honest, I didn't expect so much negative feedback. I've been playing through half the game today using it and its really fun. Be-it, I'm changing the sound affects and probably using a different animation for the fluttering (or remove it completely).

I may just remove the character again. I can't really find anything else to do with anybody besides the core three.

12. SpaceyBat

SpaceyBat

United States
    Freedom Planet 2
    If you've been contemplating adding additional characters to the game, have you looked at E-122-Psi's character hacks for inspiration? Vector and his air dash could make for an interesting gameplay switchup, as would Amy, Sally or Bunny.

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    What's wrong with the pogo stick tail and the current gun shooting mechanic? That's different from the core 3. It's just change one move to another.

The gun shooting mechanic is awesome.

14. Pexs

Pexs

Otherwise known as Spex Member
    I think the character looks like a BLAST to play, even if it doesn't make complete sense to the character himself. I'd expect something like that out of Bean, maybe. (And hey, there's an idea if you want it.)

I'd say to try and preserve the gameplay somehow. It looks too fun to just scrap.

15. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    "Fang's main weapon is his Popgun, a popgun that fires corks, as opposed to conventional bullets. His title, Sniper, suggests that he's able to use his Popgun with great accuracy."

It doesn't make sense?

EDIT: Well, they aren't corks in the game. I had to find some way to make it so its not over powered so his gun uses rings that it compresses instead. Ring Corks™?

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I think he was referring to the fluttering. Bean's a duck, so he could fly.

17. DinnerSonic

DinnerSonic

Never Posting Since 2004! Member
    I want to say the flutter jump seems a bit goofy, though this is Sonic, it's not meant to be hyper serious. A Duck Tales style pogo tail high jump might make more sense, but given what you say, I wonder if it would be as fun/refreshing? If it bothers people or you too much, maybe make his ducking animation involve the trademark tail animation, jump or no jump, and have the hover sprites include a cartoony "villain's escape jetpack" instead of/along with the foot kicking?

Meanwhile, the gunplay seems pretty cool, and despite the obvious YI influence seems to have it's own unique touches, with an apparent bit of physics and the shields granting special effects. I secretly hope the electric shield one has some kind of ring magnet effect over the shots. I also like how it seems shots return the ring that you spend to shoot if you can get to it, seems like a kind of expansion of the traditional Sonic ring loss gameplay.

One thing I wonder is if there are any features to allow quicker aiming during faster Sonic gameplay moments, or if lock-on or manual quick aiming would break it, especially in the age of 2D homing attacks and other such things that aren't thought of as needed in a 2D game. Can Fang even jump on enemies though? Restricting any and all enemy damage to his (ringpop?)gun might be what encourages people to use it more.

One last thing, I swear I remember either this or Sonic Classic 1 having some form of mission mode, find the giant Badnik, beat this score, things like that. Will Fang get any missions? It'd be another good way to encourage people to use his differing jump and attack features if they needed to defeat X amount of Badniks either before reaching a goal or in general.

18. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    As of right now, he can only destroy badniks with his gun. As for quick shots, while I've been playing through testing I've just been lightly tapping on the button, which just fires off a quick round. It works, and doesn't seem to cheap.

19. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    I agree with everyone that the fluttering jump sounds like an incredibly odd move for Fang. The Scrouge McDuck influenced idea sounds like it would fit his character design better. Gun gameplay looks okay. Biggest problem I have with how he's implemented is that his gameplay is mostly just a complete ripoff of Yoshi's gameplay, which is odd because I'd expect both charactera to play very differently. Though I've yet to see him implemented great in a fangame. Has potential, but his gameplay could use either more originality or have his gameplay consist of ideas from more than one specific game unrelated to Sonic.

20. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    I'd say keep the flutter jump, but have him helicopter his tail downward, since there's already an obvious precedent for that sort of thing in Sonic. It honestly doesn't matter if his character design matches this ability, lest we forget Knuckles' design gives no indication that he can glide.