don't click here

Sonic Dash 2: Sonic Boom

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by JcFerggy, Jul 1, 2015.

1. All I'm saying is that this is practically another bitching thread with people saying Sonic is done over a fucking mobile game. Seriously? Calm your asses down people. It's not like this was the next installment for the series. Sonic Runners is having it's fair share of problems but no one is reacting in this way there, so why the devil do it here with out sound reasoning? I hate the whole "Boom" thing in general but for crying out loud guys, stop already.

2. The abusive relationship scenario does make sense, but again I"m talking about the fact that this is a mobile game, so I find this much bitching and fretting unnecessary.

Need I even speak to this?

3. Felik

Felik

Are you gonna argue that Sonic franchise is objectively bad?

4. Yes, the franchise is objectively bad. That's a little bit to obvious. :v:

As I have said, my main point is about those who are losing their shit over this crappy little mobile game.

5. NoNameAtAll

NoNameAtAll

MY HAT'S ON FIRE. HALP! Moderator
    Okay people, let's not invoke Godwin's law in this thread anymore. That'd be a very good thing.

6. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    I'm inclined to agree. It's not at that point now, but let's not let things get out of hand.

I don't understand how this applies to Sonic Dash.

7. ErictheSquirrel

ErictheSquirrel

Kiba Member
    College, making YouTube videos
    Ahh, Temple Run Sonic Edition part Deux. I haven't been really interested all that much with these runner games, seems fun but not something I'd play, even for a little bit to be honest. Its unfortunate that its the best Sonic Boom game to date sadly, hopefully Fire and Ice can prove us wrong.

8. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

It's now been soft-launched on the Canadian iOS App Store. Have at it, I guess?

EDIT: Player it myself. Surprise surprise, it's like Dash but a bit better. Virtually unchanged otherwise. There aren't any automatic set pieces in this game like the loops and corkscrews of Dash 1, and the Enerbeam sections are actually pretty nifty. The game is exactly what you'd expect.

This game painfully needs a different name. Dash is SEGA's most successful mobile game and IIRC it wasn't long ago that SEGA explicitly stated during a presentation for investors that there would never be a Sonic Dash 2 in favour of just evolving Dash instead. For the life of my I cannot find the write up nor the pictures from this event though.

If anyone is actually interested, characters have differences between them this time around as opposed to all being Sonic re-skins. They all get a bonus and special ability.
    Sonic/free: Distance bonus and magnet effect when dashing.
    Tails/50RR: Distance bonus and a free revive.
    Knuckles/30RR: Enemy bonus and destroys all enemies in a certain area when he stomps.
    Amy/30RR: Enemy bonus and turns enemies and objects into rings when dashing.
    Sticks/70RR: Combo bonus and combo doesn't reset upon taking damage.

You get 30RR during the tutorial and then have to buy either Knuckles or Amy. I went with Knuckles, and so far find his ability to be really useful. If you're either in a pinch with enemies or they're not all reachable, you can destroy them all at once and rack up bonus points for it. I'm not too sure how useful Sonic and Amy's abilities will be. Tails speak for himself, while Sticks I'm not sure of. A combo bonus sounds like it would be really useful, but her ability is a bit unnecessary. My combo always seems to get reset because enemies and such stop appearing, meaning I physically cant continue the combo.

9. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    The times DsS streamed the game, he's shown that Amy is really strong because standing in the center lane allows her to clobber things in the side lanes too. He's also shown that maximizing enerbeam segments is very helpful, particularly in later parts of runs due to the speed and amount of crap on the paths.

10. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    Finally got around to trying this out on iOS and it's more then a reskin but TBH it's not saying much for this kind of game, still an endless runner with high scores and ring farming to level up stuff.

Performance is much better then sonic runners on my iphone 5, even with adverts built in I'm not getting pauses and stutter every 5 seconds like sonic runners does.

I'll play it a bit more but it's not hooking me in like the original dash did last year, the nice new feature is the sprites stuff as it beats just pumping rings into a shield stat.

11. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    All the comparisons to Temple Run are pretty silly IMO, if only because Unleashed predates that by several years. I don't see the Dash series as fundamentally any different from the quickstep stuff except this time around it's randomized and you can usually see farther ahead.

12. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Well, yeah, but it's pretty clear that without Temple Run SEGA probably wouldn't have made the Sonic Dash games.

13. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Temple Run and all it's copies are virtually just modern versions of this sort of game anyway.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y44CjuDMxK0

Hardly an original concept.

The funny thing about Dash 2 is that it's basically just running sections from RoL, except with a stable framerate and no annoying dialogue.

14. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    I don't have a clue what it was called, but when I was in fifth grade ('97 or so) I played a game that looks like this on a school Macintosh (the old, green kind, from the '80s).
    [​IMG]
    5000 Milliseconds in MS Paint by TJ, 2015

The player object (a car, most likely) moves upwards on its own as the road on either side of it winds back and forth, leaving you to steer the car left and right to avoid hitting upcoming walls/bends in the road. You could select different difficulties that determined how far apart the walls were. Whenever I play an endless runner, I think of this game.

15. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
  16. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    Is it me or does this game eat battery like there's no tomorrow? I don't remember the original sonic dash taking my iphone from 100 to 20% in under an hour.

17. Darth Taco

Darth Taco

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3DzAxwtgWQ
    lolwut

It's like it's supposed to be ironic or something.

18. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

How do you even make a developer diary for something like this, yet alone three episodes.

19. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    >Dutch producer

fuck now I have to like this game

20. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Only to the same extent I have to like the American-made Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric. Which is not at all.