don't click here

General Project Screenshot/Video Thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, Jun 26, 2008.

1. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    I don't see why you'd need a remake of the Adventure games, anyway.

The best part of them is already perfect.

[​IMG]

2. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Mega Glitch... that's all I have to say

3. rata

rata

Argentina
    Trying to be useful somehow.
    Guys... when you think that a game is too bugged, remember what Avalanche Software did with UMK3.

Good evening.

4. I'm sorry for quote a old post, but that's for a good reason I suppose.

By the way, I like your idea, it's very good! Though, I've used other base to work with this, instead of "illuminate" characters where you select it, I decided work with colorswhen you select them, here's the video on how it works:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vxYOx4DOkk
    I'm not sure if Knuckles' palette is 100% fine, if someone want suggest something...

Also, I still have more updates from my hack:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEP0Y3GxYl4
    The old layout from SHC2014 wasn't good to me, and I thought it could be better, then I decided redo some section and do new paths to make layout more explorative to incentive to find some rewards like, hidden Giant Rings and some monitors or whatever. When I finally finished the layout, I decided post a video in Youtube with both of acts (in fact, I had already posted the video two months ago, I was busy with other things and with a bit of laziness, I apologize). I thought I might show it there.

Feel free to suggest and feedback!

P.S: About Neo Green Hill port, this is a old version, I've updated this one already, if I got accepted here, I maybe show it here.

EDIT: I don't know what's happened here, the videos simply disappeared for some weird reason. Fixed it.

5. snkenjoi

snkenjoi

Tech Member
    [​IMG]

6. Tiller

Tiller

HDK & World Runner
    Eh. I think many of 3D games are weak from a design perspective. With significant changes I think, say, something like Lost World would shine. Just look at the new hacking vids making the rounds. Just changing the stages to look like it has some semblance of traditional level design makes the game look a hell of a lot better than it appears. While I appreciate the sheer dedication of reverse engineering Sonic 2006 accurately and leaving out the technical mess, I'm not so sure a bug free 2006 would save any of the design decisions that define the game. You still have atrocious character physics, a repertoire of completely useless moves, generic platformer level design where the only fitting Sonic parts are scripted, and junk like the useless energy meter. It seems they're keeping the physics intact and accurate as possible so it doesn't look like they're improving it beyond making it actually work this time around. I would say the same with Sonic Boom:RoL and it's hilarious charade of technical problems. Fixing them still wouldn't give the game enough leverage to stand on its own.

I don't really know if I have room to talk since I'm with the HDK fellows attempting to do something very similar only with the Sonic Adventures. Maybe their 2006 is our Adventure era and we just can't see eye to eye. We feel the Adventures had something working, but completely missed its potential due to the tech and sporadic design focus. But I think where the difference lies is that we think we know the weaknesses Adventure era, of what needs addressed, changed, or worked around. What we have envisioned is to build a brand new experience based on what we think worked, dropping what didn't, and season it with our own ideas and additions. We aren't sprucing up the originals, we want to make new things based on the best parts of how they played.

Speaking of HDK here is an update: Today I learned that simulating physics + character movement component = not how to physics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    I dunno, I think that's pretty awesome.

8. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    I am personally of the opinion that Sonic 06's level design is the best of all the Adventure style games. I also like the moveset and general design of Sonic 06, but opinions are opinions.

Also, those HDK physics are flawless.

9. SpaceyBat

SpaceyBat

United States
    Freedom Planet 2
    I would love to see Sonic revert to those kinds of physics whenever he loses his rings or dies. Then getting hit at high speeds wouldn't be nearly as annoying since you wouldn't come to a standstill. :v:

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh god that masochistic Sonic Boom hack is returning?

11. Tiller

Tiller

HDK & World Runner
    That's actually filed away in the "cool shit we should try" folder for wherever the World Runner project goes. There's actually a lot of thought put into it, including how how rings spill and a quick recovery tech, but it's only an idea at the moment. Before we start experimenting too heavily we want to reverse engineer some of the movement of the Sonic Adventures and use them as guidelines.

12. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    I'd forgotten how hungry I've been all these years for a solid S3K level hack. Love the layout, great use of all the gimmicks they never got much mileage out of in the original, keep doing that. It's all crammed into the second act though- technical limitations keeping you from expanding on the first? Ideally you could spread it out so that the spike logs and falling logs could be given some more screentime too.

What other level hacks have there been recently? I'm out of the loop.

13. I'd like to spread it, but since I have to respect Knuckles' routines, and when I made my first attempted to work with this layout, I made a big mess, with a lot of chunks in wrong place, linear paths, a nightmare. Then I practically had to improvise everything to fix these kind of things and it took to be tidied (but fortunately got success).

Isn't first time I show my hack here, I've posted some time ago a video of my Ice Cap Act 2 layout.

I plan to show more stuff here, or I'll post more videos / screenshots, or I'll post a topic.

Thanks for the feedback, I'm really glad you like it.

14. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    Does anyone like ROBOTS?!

[​IMG]

For those of you who might be interested, I've been doing a few streams of this artwork in progress http://www.twitch.tv/markeyjester/profile/past_broadcasts I may do more in the future. (I recommend it to anyone, only if they are bored, because it's slow, and often boring to watch d=)

15. LoneDevil

LoneDevil

Eternal Underdog Member
    Getting a Ristar vibe, especially the shading.

16. PordyPates

PordyPates

Here's a picture of the start I've made on my hack. What do you think of the style? It's my first attempt at pixel art for a Sonic game and first time producing a ROM hack and I'm currently learning about how to implement it properly. Criticism would be much appreciated!

[​IMG]

17. SpaceyBat

SpaceyBat

United States
    Freedom Planet 2
    Really good so far!

If I were to make a suggestion, try adding some more color variety in the blue tiles. Maybe alternate between blue and purple blocks?

18. Painto

Painto

Poland
    (My first post here :P) I would like to show you few bosses on which I worked last week for my "Burned Edition" hack. Feel free to comment.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

19. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Looks cool as fuck.

20. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Looks hot as fuck.