don't click here

Sonic Dash 2: Sonic Boom

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by JcFerggy, Jul 1, 2015.

1. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    [​IMG]

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sega.sonicboomandroid

Its out right now for certain phones and devices. I had no trouble getting it to work in BlueStacks, and it plays with only some minor graphical glitches occasionally. Been playing it now for the past 20 minutes and it seems fun, but the upgrading that was present in the previous game has been swapped out for a Team system where you can swap characters when you cash out on your rings.

2. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    I can't imagine waking up to something better.

Also APK where?

3. RibShark

RibShark

Apparently I can't install it in my country. It seems that not many people are able too either, because Google Play Store only reports 5-10 installs. I'll see if I can get it to work with BlueStacks though.

4. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    It's a soft-launch, meaning that you can only download it from the Google Play store if you live in certain countries.

5. RibShark

RibShark

I assumed as such, but found no mention of the fact online. Does anyone know which countries can access the app so that we can use a VPN to access it?

EDIT: NeoGAF thread with information about the game. Looks like there's also Sonic Dash Club which appears to be a party game. SEGA are going all out on their mobile apps at the moment, it seems.

6. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Because the world needed this game.

That's three mobile "runners" they're maintaining now.

7. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    o yaaahhh!!!!!

my favrite cartoon game!! I love to tap my phone and go FAAAAAST. ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM. I HATE it thou they don't even look boom style. but now they do!!!!! cant wait to recapture the magic and tap my phone all over agan cuz this change EVERYTHING its a WHOLE new game with GREAT art style and its fun REAL fun I like BOOM :^)

^^^ You must be this braindead to enter. ^^^

8. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    It looks like Rise of Lyric's on-rails running sections in mobile form (so the environments look even worse...if that was even possible), but with a framerate that's actually consistent this time around! :v:

9. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    I checked my canadian account for the app store but not seeing it there, so android only for the time being.

10. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    So what you're saying is that a game that copies Temple Run is like certain sections of game that copy Temple Run? :v:

Anyway, looking at this stuff positively: more Sonic Boom means more time for Sonic Team to make a proper new Sonic game.

11. + - inb4 Sonic Runners 2: Sonic Boom   :specialed:
    I'm going to try to look at this with a positive light like TimmiT. More time for Sonic Team to not give us some monotonous garbage.

12. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Music could be worse
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu4ExvqOSK4

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Well just fuck everything at this point.

14. RibShark

RibShark

So I've got it installed and running, and it is clear why this is a soft launch. The music tracks change seemingly at random, and the game is very poorly optimised. In terms of the mechanics, rings no longer increase your dash meter. Instead, there are orbs scattered along the ground alongside the rings that do that. Sometimes there are rings which add more to your dash meter than orbs. You start the game with 30 red rings, and after your second run the game forces you to use these to buy a character, of which you can only choose Knuckles or Amy (Tails is worth 50 red star rings, Sticks is worth 70, and Knuckles and Amy are both worth 30). There are three slots for runners, which you can switch by entering a "junction", which is one of the side lanes which branch outwards. When you enter the junction, your multiplier increases and the game lets you pick which character to continue with. The junction continues to lead to a new area. Sometimes a hook-swing powerup appears, which launches the player into the sky where they can collect orbs and rings by tilting the device. Each character has different abilities: Knuckles has the power "Knuckle Slam" which lets him slam into the ground by jumping and then swiping downwards, while Sonic has the ability "Dash Ring Magnet" allowing him to attract rings while he is dashing. There are also "Events" which are similar to the daily challenges in Sonic Runners, except there are multiple different challenges that expire at different times. To enter them you need some tickets, which you have 6 of at the start of the game. There is only one mission at any one time, which gives a set prize when completed. Much like Sonic Runners, the prizes have to be redeemed. You can also rack up combos by destroying enemies (of which some are now flying) and dodging obstacles.

These are only the changes I have noticed however, there's probably many more.

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Sticks is the most expensive? Oh wow what is this reverse pricing or something? "Hey guys least popular characters cost the most so you really have to like em to buy them."

What a joke...

16. Recorded footage of the game featuring all characters:

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0SrAfmzVuQ[/media]

Thoughts: Laggy (must be BlueStacks, the android emulator) and needs a lot of fixing. hopefully, updates :v

17. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    They'll have done some research into this; I guarantee that the reason Sticks is the highest price is that more people who like Sticks will pay for her than people who like Knuckles will pay for him.

18. Tanks

Tanks

Sega's Mobile Strategy: "Does it have a collectible Death Egg no one can seem to acquire? " "Nope." "Great. It'll sell. Run it."

19. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff

I also did a play session of it, though the quality only is at 480p. After playing it for a while more, I feel like the difficulty ramps up considerably more than it did in the first game. With the layout being more or less linear this time, I feel the hazards are easier to see coming, but I it gets crazy to quickly. I was able to use a Sprite during one of my runs which seems to replace the modifiers you got in the previous game, and I really like the idea of them yet I was disappointed to find they were a one run item. Overall I think the game is decent to alright. It has less features and spectacle than the original, but it's not horrible.

20. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    So, if any of you looking over this thread want to take a stab at running this:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B33yeu2wlrdrNVgxb1dqMThPN1E

SaturnPhoenix over at Stadium uploaded the apk and the necessary files if you want to install it as an off-market app. As we've seen with Runners soft launch, progress carries over. 0.1.0 is the current version, so it's very early in its semi-public release and it may not run or look well.

If anything, those of you that play can help sculpt the game as guinea pigs for SEGA for the global release. Certainly helped with Sonic Jump Fever.