don't click here

Gotta Go Fast

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by JaxTH, May 14, 2015.

1. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    How and when did this become a meme? Obviously no one was saying this when we were downloading RAW RealPlayer files way back when because it's the American version of Sonic X where this comes from. Even then though, no one was saying this.

So how and when did the American Sonic X intro gain such notoriety that it basically became a meme that defines the Sonic fanbase to those outside it? It certainly wasn't around when Sonic X was new or when Series 2 was airing. It just seems to be a thing that popped up years later after Sonic X was on nothing but reruns for the umpteenth time.

It wasn't in the games, it wasn't in the comics, it wasn't in any of the previous shows. Does anyone know why this phrase became so god damn popular to use?

+ - I remember on CulT that I was the first one to post the full lyrics for this thing shortly before the American broadcast started. I think about that a lot.  

2. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    [​IMG]

This happened.

3. Graxer

Graxer

There are details about the meme's origins here:

It aparrently originated from some fan art that someone drew and posted on Sonic Central.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Sparks

4. I assumed it was a piss take of boost gameplay?! Ha I was completely wrong then :v:

5. RenyNoise

RenyNoise

Literally Swimming in Privilege Banned
    How do you draw something that bad, that doesn't look anything like Sonic. I understand it's a kid drawing, but even I was drawing more sophisticated shit as young as 3, like knowing the difference between the head and a body. Kids who draw shit like this don't give a shit, early signs of a C-Student.

6. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    It's literally better than I can draw.

7. SpaceyBat

SpaceyBat

United States
    Freedom Planet 2
  8. Vangar

Vangar

[​IMG]

This one always cracks me up :v:

I like that they referenced Gitaroo Man more then Pikachu and Sonic, because he is far less popular than those two.

9. Might as well have a go

[​IMG]

10. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    I made a variant of this about boatgirls with a badly Google Translated "gotta go fast" into Japanese only to discover yesterday Japan had already a similar enough meme

ah well

11. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    The closest the games ever got to it was Shadow's "Let's. Get. MOVING!" which I think was from '06.

12. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Someone at SEGA managed to sneak a subtle reference into Runners.
    [​IMG]

You can't tell me that's just a coincidence!

And extra props to whoever made the Sonic Boom variant.
    [​IMG]

I've never really known where it came from, honestly. Yeah, I've seen the picture but I don't get what sparked it to become a meme, when it happened or anything else. It's not even that funny. It's just become funny over time.

13. AkumaYin

AkumaYin

https://soundcloud.com/mintorment/gotta-go-fast-x-nightcall This guy's good...

14. I've always known it was the poorly drawn images, but I will always associate it with Sonic X's North American intro, it was so cheesy, it was like a Reel Big Fish song used for a Sonic intro.

15. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    If I'm remembering right, that image first started to become popular a few months before the Sanic video came out. And that was all going on when Sonic was about to have it's 20th anniversary.

It was truly a perfect storm of memes.

16. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    Wait this all happened in 2011? I coulda sworn it was an 06 thing.

You'd think that with Colors and Generations out/coming out Sonic wouldn't have been such a memegrab, unless the outrage at Sonic 4 was the catalyst, which would have made PERFECT sense. Of course I still think this would have made more sense eto be a response to the dreadful 15's

17. Tanks

Tanks

I dunno why, but I associate 06 with the badly drawn Sonic with a sign image. The one we use with the edited "gtfo" in it. Can't find it atm and I'm too tired to care...

18. Oh wow, a reference to Gitaroo Man, of all things! That's amazing. Now I want to learn more about this show.

Some day they'll make a sequel to that game.

Some day.

19. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    I always assumed it was a quote from one of the ancient cartoons, like AoSth.

20. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Wasn't Sonic X's western ending theme the inspiration for this? "Gotta go fast. Gotta go faster, faster, faster faster faster SONIC X" was part of the lyrics. They were quite cringe-y and matched the tone of western kids programmes of the mid-2000's up to today, where stuff has to sound hip and cool, crazy and monotonous. Frankly, I remember being embarrassed by this opening back in 2004, and I still am.

What the 'artist' is saying is that Sonic has devolved in to messy, ridiculous kids show with emphasis only on going fast, with little other content. It perhaps also references the many pieces of fan art out there, which are known for their 'quality'.