don't click here

Good Genesis Mods?

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by TheUltimaXtreme, Apr 28, 2015.

1. TheUltimaXtreme

TheUltimaXtreme

Breaking logic since whenever Member
    I have a Sega Genesis model 1 and model 2. Looking to make mods, assuming the model 1 works (won't display anything from cartridges, and A/V port doesn't output a signal).

Any recommendations? We have an audio mod considered, and might see about an Everdrive cart.

Also posted in General so there can be a place for discussion about mods, versions, and the like.

2. Chibisteven

Chibisteven

US
    If you have a model 1 (VA3-VA6.8) no audio mods are necessary or needed. If you have a VA2 than a mod is recommended to fix something. If you have a VA7 then the mega amp mod is strongly recommended.

If you have a model 2 (VA0-VA2.3) the mega amp is strongly recommended. If you have a VA3 or VA4 an audio mod isn't needed, but recommended.

Region-modding is recommended if you want to play imports, etc.

Some people may prefer to mod for S-Video or Component out, but this isn't needed as you can use a SCART cable to something that converts the RGB signal to what your TV would accept with an external box.

3. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    I've seen people run military spec M68k CPUs, rewire the model 1 Genesis headphone port, cut off tabs in the cart slot to allow for MD games, etc.

4. TheUltimaXtreme

TheUltimaXtreme

Breaking logic since whenever Member
    Discoveries show a few interesting things. The Model 1 is absolutely borked, possible capacitor issue. Plugging it in, it gets power, but doesn't show video to the A/V out, and even with the RF out, which does seem to work, cartridges just don't work.

The Model 2, by contrast, shows better things. It turns on, it plays games, and we have a cable that outputs the proprietary display cable to A/V, so we can assume sound mods aren't necessary.

The Model 2 DOES have an interesting... issue. Considering how interlacing works, some lines are seeming off? My brother wants to call this vertical banding, but isn't that exclusive to LCD displays? I'm trying to get images, but getting a capture isn't easy and the only way to show genuine quality is with a phone camera. How sad...

5. Flygon

Flygon

Colour banding happens with a fair few Mega Drives (and SNES's too, if I recall correctly). I lack a proper technical explanation, but it's something to do with the Composite video causing interference with the RGB lines. I'll let someone far more technically inclined fill in for me.