don't click here

Sonic CD US - Past Soundtrack

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MisterHinotori, Apr 9, 2015.

1. I'll always choose the JP soundtrack over the US one, because I know it's the original one. The US soundtrack sounds pretty generic in many places and considering that it uses the JP soundtrack's Past themes, well, that's just lazy.

However, I'd be lying, if I said that I didn't enjoy listening to "Sonic Boom" and the US Stardust Speedway. Those are undoubtedly the best tracks from the US soundtrack. Also, the US boss music is TERRIFYING. (You could say that it's as terrifying as Robotnik from SatAM.)

2. Infiniti

Infiniti

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Member
    UK
    I had to change the wording a bit, but that's always been the way I looked at it. They can change the CD-DA but not the PCM, without screwing something up.
    I have no real issue with the original version of something being changed IF was crap to begin with, but when the Americans start changing things needlessly.... :argh: Have a go AFTER the initial release, call it a limited edition or something but don't go altering something just because you can! What if the UK/European release decided to do the same and we had 3 different soundtracks?

Slightly OT but still relevant (I think)...
    Intro to Oban Star Racers (UK/JAP/FRENCH-Chance To Shine VS US-Never Say Never*) Or Gohan's SSJ2 music in DBZ (no link needed, we all know what happened here)....

*I shit you not Justin Bieber fans....They really called it that...

3. Mystical Ninja

Mystical Ninja

For old time's sake. Oldbie
    New Castle, Delaware
    Nothing that concerns this place in the least.
    So do I. The JP/EUR track is pretty overrated, in my opinion.

4. Hukos

Hukos

I enjoy both soundtracks, but I honestly think the US soundtrack is a bit more atmospheric and I love muh atmosphere.

5. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Spoilers: Americans are meant to prefer the US soundtrack - that's why it exists.

6. Well I don't :v:

7. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Oh, this discussion again?

This game is in a weird place, musically. On the one hand, I prefer the US soundtrack for general listening. It suits my musical tastes better. On the other hand, I prefer the EU/JP sound for playing the game, because the music better fits the levels, and because there's no disconnect between the present/future and past music.

I would love to see a project to compose and insert past versions of the US songs for a more coherent experience. Not that I have either the chops or the patience to do something like this myself, either part really, but it's cool to imagine what it'd be like.

8. rata

rata

Argentina
    Trying to be useful somehow.
    Well, I think that US soundtrack is lame, especially with those choirs that have nothing to do. Im not a huge fan of JP soundtrack neither, but it is better in my opinion. Especially when you start the game, then you hear JP Palmtree Panic Zone and its amazing, it has so much energy, it really makes you WANT to play the game. The other one well... meh.

Again, it's just my opinion, nothing personal with anyone, you know (Im not here to make enemies, I would like to stay).

EDIT: I would like to add that Jp's Final Fury music is damn awesome, THAT is music for a boss, and the regular boss's theme should be of similar style. It has to tell you that you're fighting against the dictator he is, just like S1's boss songs, and like in the newer S2 (ESPECIALLY the final boss one).

9. winterhell

winterhell

There are 2-3 cool tracks in the US version, buut Sonic Boom cant hold a candle to Toot-Toot Sonic Warrior. Yep I said it.

10. Clownacy

Clownacy

Tech Member
    Are we really letting the conversion turn into this again?

11. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    I... I can't believe we're seriously having this debate. In 2015. I mean, I remember reading an archive of an Usenet discussion from 1993, shortly after Sonic CD's release. And it was pretty much the exact same arguments on either side. It's as passé as Joel vs. Mike.

Besides, I prefer whichever version you select when you watch my Sonic CD video! :v:

It's totally subjective. One isn't really any better than the other, beyond your own tastes. So, okay, here's mine: The JP/EU soundtrack is certainly more Sonic-y, and usually provides a much stronger medley. Plus, it's cohesive with the past versions. The US soundtrack is more nostalgic for me personally, and has a sense of atmosphere that wasn't often seen in video game music, especially back then. I love them both equally, they're both fantastic, and I find myself switching between them on the Taxman remaster pretty much every time I play it.

12. Thousand Pancake

Thousand Pancake

Being a food you put milk on and then eat in the m Member
    Back on topic...

It would be pretty cool to have Past music in the US style. I'd make some myself, but I'm not sure how I'd get started.

13. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Hm... is Spencer Nilsen still active? It'd be a longshot, but I'd definitely contribute to some kind of Kickstarter campaign for him to make a past soundtrack.

14. I dunno if that's a good idea. Do you think SEGA would actually approve something like this?

15. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    I don't know if they have to. They didn't seem to have the rights to the US soundtrack a few years ago. We weren't sure if the Taxman remaster would include it or not and it was added in fairly close to the end as far as I remember.

16. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Also, David Wise (Donkey Kong Country composer) has worked on remixes for OC Remix projects of his own work, so I'd imagine he could do it, regardless of whether SEGA owns the rights.

17. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    I did some spelunking through the forum pertaining to my idea and it looks like it could be feasible, if not by my hand than by someone else's, definitely.

18. rata

rata

Argentina
    Trying to be useful somehow.
    Well, a Sonic CD disassembly is being worked on, this means that learning how to use the Ricoh chip will be possible, so it would be matter of getting samples, make the arrangments from the present versions to make them past-like and then voila, Sonic CD US past versions songs.
    I personally would like to get my hands on that ricoh chip and make it work in a Sonic 1 ported to CD, but lets be honest, Im useless. Im not being able to complete any task that I wanted to so, so better stop dreaming.

19. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    If anyone's up to the task of making some interpretive versions of the US soundtrack to cover the past, there's no reason to wait for SCD's version of SMPS to be fully cracked. Either a MIDI with a custom sounfont or a simple XM or IT module would do fine, and it could be ported later when the music format is cracked.

20. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
    The format's been 'cracked' for ages. There's nothing unknown about it.