don't click here

The Sonic 3, 20th Anniversary & Knuckles Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Taxman, Oct 18, 2014.

1. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Pretty much the perfect video to describe this, why it needs to be done, and what it offers.

I think it should be on the main site, and also sent out to press along with the main one to clarify our mission to people.

2. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    I can see why certain subreddits would ban people for that. They're not just places to advertise your own stuff, and if too many people would do that it would become a mess.

3. Shakidna

Shakidna

Rehash Rampage Member
    Reddit actually has a universal rule that self-promotion cannot exceed 10% of an account's activity. It does seem problematic, like what if there's a subreddit meant solely for self-promotion?

4. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Sure, the moderators of a subreddit can do whatever they like with it. That's why I never try to promote in places that have rules against self-promotion. But r/sonicthehedgehog makes no mention of that (beyond, "don't post low-effort fanwork"), and while I understand such a policy being adapted in huge mega-subreddits where a never-ending cavalcade of promotional posts would eat up everyone's time, the stream of content in r/sonicthehedgehog is comparatively tiny. They could weed out anything that became a problem. Of course, this could also just be a problem with some kind of auto-moderator. I've had to message the mods before to get my posts to appear, and it's never been an issue, just an annoyance.

But compare that to one of my favorites, r/nintendo. It's one of the only subreddits I've ever seen that actually ENCOURAGES you to post your own work, and its members don't just blindly downvote you for doing so.

Anyway! This is getting off-topic. *ahem* The petition's up to 3,368!

Please do feel free, because I made it with the intention that it could function that way, if it needed to.

And speaking of, I do think it'd be a great boon to us if we had a flyer that accomplished the same goals. Not just for posting IRL, but for sharing online. It's much easier to get people to look at a picture than click on a video, y'know? I'm not a graphic designer, but I think it could follow a similar format. Show the new features and abilities afforded by the Retro Engine, explain that SEGA rejected the proposal, give a link to the petition and site. We don't EVER want to diss Sega as part of our campaign, but their reputation for making some not-so-great decisions precludes them, and framing this as a kind of underdog story is a good angle.

5. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that whoever decided to put a plug for this project on a completely unrelated video I made was completely out of line.

[​IMG]

I'm perfectly willing to support this cause but it's clear to me just spamming it everywhere is going to upset people. Have some tact, bloody hell.

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Calm down it's one comment on one video. Besides it's Youtube comments. Ever seen an intelligent conversation on Youtube?

7. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    ..Calm down?

You're going to tell me to calm down. Wonderful. Congratulations for missing the point.

I'm annoyed, for sure, and I long deleted the spam comment. The point is that spamming this everywhere without tact isn't going to do this cause any favours, rather, I can see it harming it. If you want to annoy people, this is the perfect way to go about it, though.

8. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Yeah, DalekSam is right. It'd be one thing if it was a video in any way related to Sonic, but it's not. The point isn't, "Rar, I'm angry about YouTube comments," the point is that whoever spams the message like this runs the risk of doing damage to the cause, so please, if you can help it, don't do that.

9. Stealth

Stealth

Tech Member
    Sonic Mania, HCGE, Sonic Megamix, SonED2, [...]
    100% this. This says very bad things about who we are, and if I were to see it, I wouldn't want to help us either. It's true that we can't stop all idiocy, but that far from means that we shouldn't try; we need to keep this campaign looking as clean as possible, and people who do crap like this need to be called out and reprimanded. A silent majority isn't sufficient in this case; our audience needs to see that when our vocal minority is out-of-line, we disapprove and take action

10. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Yeah, we don't want to be grouped together with the people who constantly ask SEGA to make Shenmue 3 when they post tweets, Facebook posts or blog posts that are completely unrelated to Shenmue.

11. ThomasSpeedrunner

ThomasSpeedrunner

resident lowercaser Member
    the void between universes.
    not really any specific hack...too many to list.
    I side with Sam here, especially since the same thing happened to me on one of my recent videos, which isn't even about Sonic in any way. I deleted it, sure, but there's no reason that these comments should be surfacing on unrelated videos in the first place.

12. AngelComa

AngelComa

Site Staff
    I agree. Let's not be like those other SEGA fanbases that want something so they spam twitter/facebook/Youtube. SEGA really doesn't take that stuff seriously, its the equivalent of running into a room and shouting at people that you want 'x game' to come out. Just not a sociable way of doing things. If your commenting on a Yuri Yuri video, comment about said video, not something unrelated (especially a petition that people on here are working hard to make a success).

Its nice that you want to help, but there are better ways of doing it.

13. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    It was pointed out that the audio balance in my video is wonky around the time the S3&K title music plays. I didn't notice it on my PC, but when I watched it on my tablet, the lower-quality speakers meant that my voice was almost completely drowned out.

I'm therefore going to do a quick edit, perhaps also incorporating some of the suggestions from the previous page (Hidden Palace really does deserve more screentime!) As the current video has already been promoted and is garnering a good number of views, I'll eave it in place for now, and let the new version stay unlisted for the time being. In several days, I'll swap the two videos, perhaps garnering a second wave of attention from my subscribers. But the main reason I'm going to do a second edit is so the video can be used as promotional material for the campaign itself, to be sent to larger gaming sites while being as professional as possible. Bad sound balance is very amateur-ish, and I'd hate for a potential journalist to not cover us because he was watching my video on his phone and shut it off halfway through when he couldn't hear me.

Sound like a plan?

EDIT: Sounds like a plan!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6kHElRG_ek[/youtube]

This fixes up the sound, polishes a few things, incorporates more footage of Hidden Palace (in exchange for losing the brief shot of Knuckles in the half-pipe), and cuts out Stranger in Moscow, substituting, appropriately enough, Sky Sanctuary. Please link this new version for any promotional needs the campaign may have. Thank you!

EDIT the SECOND: Also, just noticed the petition is creeping up on 3,500, meaning we've gotten almost 200 new signatures since I took the screenshot last night!

14. Donnie Paradox

Donnie Paradox

Some Gai Member
    So RadioSEGA and I did an interview with Taxman and Stealth along with another interview with big_smile (he runs the Sonic 3 remastered site of course) to help spread awareness of the campaign for the show "The SEGA Lounge". Both are being combined into one episode that is themed on the campaign and airing later this week!

The word continues to spread. =)

15. VAdaPEGA

VAdaPEGA

Freelance Digital Artist Member
    Portugal
    Probably something minimalistic
    So I was looking at the website again and saw the picture for "2-player stages as Full 1-player levels"
    I'm going to assume that's just a mockup someone's made of Azure Lake for the website

I have to say, that looks pretty ugly and lazy so I did a thing
    [​IMG]

16. Man, that is impressive! This is what I always wanted see.

17. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    [​IMG]

18. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    Just in case anyone is wondering: Josh' Video will be added to the site (and a few tweaks will be made so it can replace the main video) as will VAdaPEGA's mockup and 360's articles (plus updates to the credits page). Just a little pressed for time at the moment!

19. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Nice, but that balloon looks tiny now. =P

What was the correct scale for resizing the 2-player zones, by the way? Around 150%?

EDIT: Wait a minute, why does this page say:
    Is this also Sonic 3 HD now? o_O

20. MotorRoach

MotorRoach

Didn't the original Balloon Park balloon animation have a blowing animation anyway? So it only makes sense it would have a tiny sprite before being the balloon gets completely full.