don't click here

Sonic on consoles will continue according to Iizuka

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by 360, Feb 28, 2015.

1. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    So with all the negativity surrounding Sega and their recent restructuring plans resulting in the scaling back of their console operations I thought this was thread worthy because for once it's actually some good news regarding the future of the Sonic franchise. Takashi Iizuka was interviewed recently presumably for the recent release of Sonic Runners and was asked directly about the future of Sonic games on consoles. The interview was with 4gamer and is in Japanese but we have a translation of the key question he was asked courtesy of Woun:

I cleaned up the translation somewhat to add clarification. You can see Woun's original translation on either SSMB or the site that we're not supposed to link to as there is a recent news post on there. The general gist however is an outright refutation to the idea that Sonic will only appear on mobile from now on and that Sonic games for home consoles will continue in the near and distant future. So as I said actual good news for once. I want to thank Woun for the original translation and TimmiT for pointing this out to me just now via posting it on NeoGAF.

So finally some good news. Sonic on consoles will continue. A collective sigh of relief?

2. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    To be honest I don't think there was any reason to believe Sonic would stop being on consoles, but that's just me.

3. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I don't they'll ever consider not making Sonic games for consoles...

4. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Yeah but even so given the Sega news last month there was still an element of doubt. Sega's console releases are mostly ending for all of their franchises so there was reason to believe Sonic may have been affected. Particularly with Sonic Team being shifted to Sonic Runners and Sonic Boom's catastrophic failure both critically and commercially. Just thought it was reassuring news to hear that the next Sonic game for consoles (along with all other potential future Sonic games) will be completely and assuredly unaffected by the changes within Sega especially given this is coming from the man who controls Sonic now and occupies such a high-level position in Sonic Team.

5. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Yeah, I only linked it there cause of there seems to be some confusion on if SEGA is going mobile/PC only or not.

6. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    You mean, despite them having already pretty explicitly stated that they would not go that route exclusively??

7. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Well yeah, this is GAF we're talking about here.

8. Donnie Paradox

Donnie Paradox

Some Gai Member
    I always figured that they wouldn't abandon consoles for Sonic. It wouldn't be a good business decision at all. At least now we know for sure.

9. AngelComa

AngelComa

Site Staff
    Sonic Generation is still one of the top 100 games sold in Europe every year. Why would you shut down other platforms? There was never any hint of them doing this at all, only a bunch of clickbait articles online.

Oh, people freaked out over nothing. Nothing new.

10. Dr. Corndog

Dr. Corndog

The rumor never bothered me because part of the focus was said to be on PCs, and that just got lost in the talk about mobile games. But I never expected them to give up on consoles, anyway.

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    >Sega
    >Good business decisions

Pick one.

12. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    Sonic sells too well for them to back out of making more physical releases, although most news had me thinking they were going to stop this too. Good to know any potential of a great Sonic release on the PS4 can still happen, as well as the chances of Sonic classic remasters coming to consoles.

Not to also mention that when one branch of Sega wants to make a good decision, the other won't let them. *bricked*

13. AngelComa

AngelComa

Site Staff
    All SEGA said was that SEGA America was working on digital titles, unless I misread the financial report? Though mainstream media failed reporting the truths and focused on creating better clickbait articles.

14. Donnie Paradox

Donnie Paradox

Some Gai Member
    True. I just never saw anything that said they were planning to stop making console games altogether. There just wasn't enough evidence to really reach a conclusion.

15. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    I would rather take a godawful Sonic game every year than not have the franchise at all. So long as there are Sonic games, we still have a chance of getting another quality renaissance, as in 2008-2011. Basically one Sonic Generations outweighs every bad game out there, for me.

16. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    I believe the next renaissance will be soon. Lost World was a misstep and Boom was an outsourced fluke, but by all accounts Runners is great and the next Sonic Team entry should be announced in the next couple of months. I'm optimistic!

17. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    I wouldn't.

If all SEGA did was release a game as bad as Sonic 06 each year, then I'd rather they never released a new Sonic game ever again.

I'd be more than happy if Sonic Team took 3 or 4 years to work on a new game, which is perfectly polished with excellent physics and consistently good stage design. To fill the 3 or 4 year void SEGA can release new Sonic mobiles games and re-release previous Sonic titles on PS4, Xbox1 & Steam. Not to mention the excellent all-stars racing games.

I still think they'll make console games for a long time. I just hope the new games are released on PS4, Xbox1 and Steam instead of being restricted to one platform.

18. AngelComa

AngelComa

Site Staff
    Not saying people are saying this, but when is the last the last time that Sonic Team released a Sonic 06 type bad game? Its coming up almost a decade and that game is still being mention like it just came out last week (not here, just in general).

19. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Granted it's not Sonic Team, RoL was just as bad as '06. For different reasons perhaps, but it was a colossal disaster of a Sonic game. '06 is just ripe for ripping on. And as good as Generations and Colours may have been, both had their obvious shortcomings and still weren't these truly amazing games. Put them alongside Unleashed, S4 and Lost World, which are very mixed bags at best, and it becomes obvious that the series is still stumbling along even if it's no longer being dragged through the gutter (until Boom happened).

Yeah, '06 is a cheap shot. It's gonna keep happening until the series can hit a stead good quality though. They came close, but didn't keep the momentum going.. And people are never going to forgot the "dark ages of Sonic", cause they lasted for such a long time.

20. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    Pretty much this. Even when a lot of people disagreed with design choices (Or the lack of them.) in many recent Sonic games, none of them were, on a technical level, poorly put together like 06 or Boom. (And Boom is getting patches, for some reason.) Lost Worlds runs like a dream, as much as the stages divide the community consensus on the game.