don't click here

Sonic Runners announced (Sonic Team/Mobile)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by 360, Dec 28, 2014.

1. NioZero

NioZero

Concepción, Chile
    Tornado Sky Fighters
    According to Google Translate (text recognition needs a lot of improvement)
    [​IMG]

2. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    I'm a time traveler from 2005 and I thought you might like this old joke on your new Sonic.
    [​IMG]

3. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    More people should make that reference.

4. SF94

SF94

Tech Member
    Nothing interesting!

* just winging it at this point
    ** oh man I have no idea what I'm doing keywords weren't even mentioned here send help

Keep in mind that I had to look up just about every bit of kanji here. I likely missed a lot of detail, too. Don't get the wrong idea, b-baka!

And here's a transcription for those who want it:

5. RenyNoise

RenyNoise

Literally Swimming in Privilege Banned
    Was tempted to make an edit myself, but I can't compete with that gold reference.

6. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    I made more, but they're nowhere near as good.
    Sonic weighs in on his last several games:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
  8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    That one is definitely my favorite of that bunch.

9. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    CulT's where my journey began, though I've hardly been since I joined up here. I certainly remember Amy Chao. Ahhh, good times, good times. I'm glad you guys like my things, by the way, thanks. They're free game if you want to use them for something.

I guess I should say something about the game before I derail the topic any further.

Sonic's mouth is too toothy. They made him shorter and cuter, but he's got the same amount of teeth showing as he has since '99 and looks like he could totally eat somebody.

Picking up other objects (besides rings) in high numbers seems foreign to me, but I like where this is going, especially since it's more level-based. It should be out in Japan soon, right? I remember someone saying it's coming at the end of the month. I'd like to see more of the game outside of snippets in a trailer.

10. Note to self - Swallow your water before opening a spoiler...

11. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    I dug through SEGA's FTP and found this.

[​IMG]

You were spot-on. :ruby:

12. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    The one you called GeneHF is now dead.

You have been warned.

-????

13. AngelComa

AngelComa

Site Staff
    This is the most advertising the Yakuza games have gotten since the first title. GG SEGA, cross promoting Yakuza 5 with Sonic.

14. Thousand Pancake

Thousand Pancake

Being a food you put milk on and then eat in the m Member
    Nevermind.

15. gold lightning

gold lightning

Looks like this thing is already on Google Play. here

However, it tells me that it's not available in my device's country (US).

16. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Think we can get the assets extracted? love to hear the music in this.

17. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    Interesting. Is it restricted in all the other countries?

18. AngelComa

AngelComa

Site Staff
    Came here thinking someone already uploaded the APK for this. WELP. *tips fodera*

19. Donnie Paradox

Donnie Paradox

Some Gai Member
    You can get the .apk and SD data for the game here. It was tweeted to me and apparently it is working for quite a few people so have fun!

20. Roybertito

Roybertito

Still alive, apparently. Member
    Alright so! I'm in the US but I've got Runners on my iOS device! I'm also totally not dead I just go by a different name on the rest of the internet and haven't used this account in years BUT

If you follow these instructions, you'll be able to do this too without having to provide Canadian billing info!

1. Click the link to the Canadian release from your device (https://t.co/a2yLhBs6s1)
    2. Let it switch you to the Canadian store
    3. Log out of your American Apple ID
    4. Click the link again
    5. Try to download the game
    6. Create a New Apple ID
    7. Use a non-Apple associated email and a random Canadian address
    8. Verify the Apple ID through your email
    9. Download Sonic Runners

Here's some screenshots! This album will update periodically! I have documented the IAP structure as well as I can! It appears Red Rings can be exchanged for spins on the "Premium Roulette", which lets you unlock companion items (RC things from Colors/Lost World, Chao, Chip), or for rings. There is also a daily roulette that lets you unlock Color powers and Items, which can also be bought with Rings. Rings also buy you "Revive Tokens" - I have four of these, and they appear to regenerate. I'm guessing energy? But they don't deplete in the that way. These are possibly just "number of actual falls you're allowed" because they've only disappeared when I've actually died. Presumably, Rings also let you buy characters - I haven't gotten that far yet.

This all comes off to me as a potentially brutal IAP system, but I'm just going to swallow it for now because the player is basically buried in rings during the actual game and they're giving every player 2 dollars worth of Red Rings for free every day so it could be worse.

As far as gameplay goes, there's some stuff of note. You can indeed not do anything but tap to jump. Spin dash happens if you don't jump while going down hill at a certain speed. There are rainbow rings - and boy are they fun to get through. Companion items boost your score or hurt enemies or other buffs/environment or badnik nerfs. You can have a "character" and a "sub character" who level up as you move through the Story Episodes, which are given to the player in text dialogue boxes that appear between each run. There is a set goal in each run, after which the player continues running until they finally die. My high score is 188,000ish. There's a ranking system, but no single player has gotten above rank F, it seems. If you unlock or purchase an item, it's not simply given to you (outside of the first time), it's placed in your run as an item box which you need to actually *bop* to use. There are Color powers here but they do not involve motion controls (thankfully).

There is a very typical level up system, and when I say typical I mean typical for a mobile game. As you would expect from a Hardlight title like Dash or City Rush, the upgrade system serves not to upgrade Sonic but to upgrade his abilities, like the effect duration of Color powers or item boxes.

Orbot and Cubot are in it. The dialogue is kinda funny and light. So far the stories have been Eggman trying to capture animals, but I can see how this has room for expansion and deeper content. There's an Event system, and right now all new players get 25 Red Rings every day for logging in, in addition to the "10 Friends for Amy!" thing. I'm guessing in future we may see some cool story-centric events. A lot of this is similar to Lost World. New Color powers like Indigo Asteroid return, and in addition to Windy Hill and other environments being reused along with models, we see a return of the parkour mechanic - if the player jumps and barely misses the edge of the next platform, Sonic runs up the side, and the parkour sound effect plays. The music is great - there's some new stuff, but also some stuff from Unleashed-Lost World. Overall this just feels like kind of the standardized "new modern Sonic" if anything, and it's... y'know, it's what we've got. The art is nice. Models are cute.

There's Japanese text that appears in the English version, specifically in the Game Center drop-down and in the name creation screen. The game's a bit choppy, and apparently was built in Unity which is a first for Sonic Team, I think. I can see why this is in soft-launch and why they don't think it's ready for global release, but I can also see a fully polished version of this becoming a successful little title, and it's certainly more fun and packed with content than anything Hardlight put out.

I'm not going to say I'm not bitter about Sega Networks eclipsing Sega going forward, and I'm not going to say this is on par with a console title. I'm also not going to excuse the awful in-app purchases. But am I gonna play a ton of this on subway? Am I really going to enjoy myself while I do? Heck yes. It's fast and it's fun and it's colorful and I genuinely hope it does really well - if not just for all of our sake.