don't click here

Gameplay Habits

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by upg, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Dashtube

Dashtube

'Cause I find memes funny Member
    Sonic Exodus
    In Sonic 2, I almost always rev up the spin-dash at the results screen and let go just as the screen fades out so it looks like I'm transitioning from zone to zone. :v:

2. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    I do this stuff too.

Also, when I spin dash, I move my whole hand so I can use three fingers to hammer A B and C and rev as much as possible.

3. AkumaYin

AkumaYin

Hey, I do that, too! Since I'm using a keyboard, I press A, S, and D a lot so that I can have the fastest possible release.

4. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Yeah, come to think of it, I may have started doing it back around the time I discovered the Sonic 2 Beta and had to use a keyboard to play it.

5. nesboy43

nesboy43

I've gotta have my high route, always.

6. Thousand Pancake

Thousand Pancake

Being a food you put milk on and then eat in the m Member
    I tend to play a game the exact same way I played it the first time if I haven't come back to it in a while.

7. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

it's the whole gang Oldbie
    Whenever I'm in any sort of section where I have to wait around, I tap down as fast as I can to make Sonic repeatedly crouch and uncrouch. Don't know why; it just looks funny.

8. Tiller

Tiller

HDK & World Runner
    Roll all the time.

Be the ball or not at all. :colbert:

9. Nova

Nova

If I'm in a waiting portion of the game (ie Marble Garden Act 2 at the end of the earthquake sequence) and have a fire shield, I hold my turbo button down and just flame dash all over the place like a maniac. Actually discovered a few weird glitches/game freezes this way.

I also rev up and spindash away at the end of each level in Sonic 2 - as someone said, it makes a satisfying sound that leads nicely into the next level.

At the apex of every single little slope in the goddamn games, I jump now.

I can't do Chemical Plant Zone without jumping and rolling to gain momentum on the bendy roads until I'm going at terminal velocity.

10. MartiusR

MartiusR

I had quite similar habit, but I'd prefer just to crouch with my character. Ignoring some practical advantages of this - I liked how it looked like especially in Sonic 3, when there was Tails near you - it looked like depressed owner and some cheeky dog waving his tail(s) nearby :)

11. ForgeCircuit

ForgeCircuit

In SA2, I found myself almost always somersaulting before jumping to make Sonic do that cool little flip. 90% of the jumping I did in that game was in this way. Also, in Sonic 1 I tend to try and jump mid-loop to squeeze extra speed out of Sonic.

12. Jen

Jen

#lapidot Moderator
    England
    Various drawings
    I always, without fail, jump over the goal posts in Sonic 1/2/CD rather than just running past them. I can only assume this habit started because of getting the bonus points in Sonic 1, but I've just kinda stuck with it to the point that I even find myself doing it in Generations as well =P

13. Vertrex

Vertrex

Layin' the wax and spinnin' the sound Member
    As a kid, I use to play Sonic Adventure DX and walk around Station Square as if I lived there.

14. FlackoWeasel

FlackoWeasel

Blue cheese lover! Member
    Hehe I do the same, but using Tails. Or I just pshed the capsule to see the pushing animation :D

15. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    I too do this, and what I've always noticed with Sonic 1, is that I tend to do a "reversal jump" kind of thing (Jumping, then tapping the other direction, so the animation is flipped). In Sonic 2, I tend to jump from one side of the capsule to the other side as many times as possible while the end tally plays, just to see how many times I can do it before the level fades out.

16. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    I do every single one of these. I also:

• try to play as smoothly as possible
    • moonrun by moonwalking into springs
    • jump in between spikes in Green Hill
    • get hurt by Robotnik after hitting the capsule in Labyrinth
    • complete Sonic 2 without getting wet
    • always do the Oil Ocean glitch that messes up the physics
    • collect every ring in Sky Chase (mostly out of boredom)
    • make the characters enter a running animation instead of their victory pose whenever possible
    • glide backwards as Knuckles whenever possible
    • make AIZ2 music play in AIZ1, and vice versa
    • kill Tails in AIZ to make him activate the capsule
    • hit the Eggman monitor in HCZ
    • play Sonic's MGZ and CNZ bosses as Knuckles
    • don't let the CNZ miniboss destroy any blocks
    • play the wrong bosses in ICZ
    • do the white water glitch in LBZ
    • kill Tails with the door in MHZ
    • skip the FBZ miniboss
    • use the scroll-glitch to get through every door in Sandopolis even when it's quicker to use the switches
    • fetch a drink during the LRZ boss
    • do nothing after Eggman leaves in the HPZ cutscene so Sonic's finger pointing syncs with Knuckles smashing the wall
    • hump Knuckles while waiting at Sky Sanctuary
    • make Knuckles wave afterwards
    • ignore special stages in Sonic CD and get Good Futures in every Zone instead
    • visit the statue that gives you rings

But a lot of those could be summed up as "break the game whenever possible". I still haven't gotten the Achievement in Sonic 3 (360) for completing Ice Cap, despite having the rest, including the one for completing the game.

EDIT: Can you believe I forgot a couple?

17. Fantastic

Fantastic

Born on an island, in the heavens. Member
    It's probably been said already, but something I like doing a lot is making Sonic dance to the background music. Most of the time is because I'm waiting for a platform or whatever, but other times I do it because it just looks funny.

18. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Add me into the "fake transition" camp for Sonic 2. I also like to play "doge tails" on Act 2 levels. I win if the stage transitions and Tails is either facing the other way, or wouldn't be able to reach me doing whatever he was doing when the screen froze.

I also have a specific habit for ARZ. I like to jump in the water and follow the entire underwater route without grabbing a single bubble.

19. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Trying to get as many hits in as possible on Sonic 2 Robotnik's weather machine. Can get three hits in a row before having to go through the pipes which leads to loads of graphics glitches due to the number of yellow clovers on the screen at once. I die so many times due to me being cocky but can't resist doing it.

20. cornholio857

cornholio857

The Great Cornholio Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    In search of TP
    In Sonic 2 and S3&K I always position/trick Tails so he gets crushed by hazards. Like crushing him with the Nut and Bolt "elevator" in Metropolis Zone. Dunno why, I always found it funny. :v: