don't click here

Sonic Crackers original proto cart for sale

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by ashthedragon, Jun 28, 2014.

1. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    I've just spotted this at Ebay http://m.ebay.es/itm?itemId=131221800931
    Some guy is selling his Sega games and console collection. Between the regular games, there is an original Sonic Crackers proto cart, along with a Simon Wai's Sonic 2 pirate and a few other suspicius Sonic pirates. The crackers cart is the original one.
    It might be interesting to buy them and investigate,or at least to keep them as part of Sonic retro's collection. I've no money for it but maybe some of you might be interested on it. Who knows, it might be a different build from the one we already have and dven if it's not, its pretty neat to own it.
    Sorry for any misspellings and such, Im posting through my phone amd it's a bit of a pain.

2. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Er, so is this egel? Because he had the Simon Wai proto cart last.

3. Orengefox

Orengefox

Snooping as usual... Researcher
    Right in front of my computer.
    Some artwork, a ZZT game, and a hack.
    That someone is egel (unless he suddenly sold off his stuff to this person on eBay). What's listed there matches everything he talked about in this topic [here]. Remember that old topic from way back when?

Thing is, we had a chance to get that Simon Wai Sonic 2 Beta cart redumped. There was all this talk about how to go about it too. In the end however, we never heard from him again. Wouldn't be the first time something like that has happened. Remember that "Sonic the Hedgehog (MD) Pre-Release Cart" topic? Not that it mattered in the end but still. Finally, there's that "Gamecube (NPDP) cart with Heroes, Riders, and Shadow the Hedgehog" topic. MSX is still kicking about last I remembered. If we do ever get an update on what became of that, that would be nice ;P

Chances of that Sonic Crackers being different from all the others are slim. If I remember correctly, there's like a shit ton of those Sonic Crackers prototype cartridges darted across the world.

In any case. If it is egel, I wouldn't go bothering him about those carts of his.

4. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    I hit up egel a long time ago about buying those carts. He kinda disappeared after a while. I really do wonder if he sold them or if this is him. Wish he'd post again.

...also wish I had that money lying around. I could scrounge it up if I had time to sell some stuff, but it'll be gone by then :(

5. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    That could be one of the first (fan-made) Sonic Crackers cartridges that were burnt and sold after the ROM was discovered.

But I wasn't there back then, perhaps somebody like Phugolz might know better about this?

EDIT: Oh hey, ICEknight from the past has some info!

6. Vangar

Vangar

Technically the Simon Wai Sonic 2 beta is a burnt pirate copy also...

7. nesboy43

nesboy43

These days it isn't hard to make carts like this. However since this matches the description of someone on here, and his entire collection, I am much less skeptical. If this was only the Sonic Crackers cart though, than I would be hesitant to say it was real.

8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I meant it's not a real prototype from SEGA, in case somebody thinks this is the one where every copy (like this early one) originated from.

9. egel

egel

Cheeseland
    May start a small page about my MD collection.
    Sorry for necroing this thread, but I just wanted to say I'm still around. I'm just not a frequent poster, and I really wanted to answer this topic. If any of the moderators find this inappropriate, my apologies - please lock it, or take whatever action you like.

That eBay listing was indeed mine. However rest assured, I still have everything, including the Jason Wilson Crackers proto and the "holy grail" - the infamous sonic 2 beta pirate carts. I was never able to dump them because I couldn't get the dumping to work properly, unfortunately, so unless the previous owner (Tails) did dump them they both remain undumped (but, I guess it's pretty safe to say that the rom on the beta cart is the same as the Wai ROM).

I have gotten some requests of selling both carts past year, and I am still considering offers. However I too would like to see a fresh dump of the beta cart so I would likely only sell it to someone part of the community. If there's interest, let me know.

10. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Cooljerk would probably be your best bet since he wanted the carts.

11. Vangar

Vangar

I have a Retrode, but I think it would be out of my price range. Are we talking over $200 here?

12. I also have a retrode and would kill to dump this.

13. N!NJA

N!NJA

Under your bed.
    Collecting all Cartridge based Sonic games and their regional variations!
    Depending on the price I would likely be interested in buying, I don't mind dumping it also as I already have a S2 Beta pirate (one which might be slightly different according to the original owner, might be bitrot though..) but I have no TV to hand currently (least one that will work with my MD), Got a Super Magic Drive also so pretty much ready to dump my one (http://I.imgur.com/i75Ryc5.jpg)

I'm not really a fan of pirates but in this case I would likely make an exception. I'm not sure if an SMD dump will effect the data ? not really sure as I've never looked into SMD/BIN dumps.

If you're still willing to sell PM me please, Thanks.

14. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    As far as I remember, SMD dumps can be converted to regular binaries by just deinterleaving them.

15. N!NJA

N!NJA

Under your bed.
    Collecting all Cartridge based Sonic games and their regional variations!
    I see thanks, wasn't sure as I thought they might need to be converted which might have changed the data.

Will try and find a TV that'll work with my MD and attempt to dump the S2 Beta pirate I already have. (And finally find out if it's bitrot or a different rom lol.)

16. hxc

hxc

spotteddove Researcher
    Is it really 'the' crackers cart, or one of the many repos made by the same sega employee? Name escapes me, it's been too long, ask drx.

17. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    I have a feeling that, if it ever existed, the only true Crackers cart would be one on a tall board (as we are well aware at this point, almost all short board Crackers carts are likely Dyer carts). I know there was a tall board found (the one that had the upper half of a TMNT prototype) but I don't know if that's even "authentic" in the sense of being legitimately used for development or testing purposes. It may very well be possible that the Crackers ROM we have was only ever ran on a ROM emulator like they would use for rapid development.