don't click here

Yakuza 5 localisation confirmed

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Overlord, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    http://blogs.sega.com/2014/12/06/sega-sony-partner-to-launch-yakuza-5-in-the-west/

The catch, apart from it being a PS3 exclusive? Download release only.

2. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Is a two year late, download-only release a good enough reason to move the Sega Retro page to "Yakuza 5"?

3. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    As much as a year late release of Yakuza 4 is, I guess.

Oh also, the pages of Yakuza 4 and Dead Souls might need to be updated now that they just released both games on PSN in the US:
    https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-us/games/yakuza-4/cid=UP0177-NPUB31510_00-YAKUZA4000000000
    https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-us/games/yakuza-dead-souls/cid=UP0177-NPUB31509_00-YAKUZADSPSNUS001

Not sure about when those will be available in Europe though. (EDIT: Oh, just after midnight apparently)

4. Elston87

Elston87

I'm raiding witches. Member
    Ack; digital only? Ah well; if it's the only way I can play it , so be it.

At least it's getting localized, though I hear Sony stepped in to make it happen, and it wasn't just Sega's decision; then again, this is all I heard floating around. I don't know if this is true or not.

5. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    From SEGA's blog post about this:
    For context: the #BuildingTheList campaign is a thing where Gio Corsi asked people on Twitter what games they'd want localized or ported to Playstation systems. So it sounds likely that it's because of Sony that this is happening, yeah.

6. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Thank God for Sony. I can import the JP release if I ever want a hard copy for my collection down the road. So so happy about this I still can't believe it!!

7. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    No Yakuza 1 + 2 HD. :(

8. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Use PCSX2?

EDIT: Oh shit, from the PR contact list Sony gave away on their press site:
    [​IMG]

Looks like Yakuza Zero may be getting localized as well. Source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=142109689&postcount=689

9. Spinksy

Spinksy

UK
    Digital only or not I'm still happy with this - lets hope for Shenmue stuff next :colbert:

10. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Still PS3-only, huh? A shame.

11. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    Never played any of the games in this series but it seems to be quite popular. Glad this one is getting translated even if it is download-only.

12. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    What else would it be on?

13. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    The Japanese hate the Xbox brand - they had to persevere with it when the 360 was top dawg in the West (it'll be considered last gen-therefore of a lower priority now), but a game designed primarily with the Japanese market in mind is never going to leave camp PlayStation. Especially in these days of Xbox One.

You've got Street Fighter V showing they're not too bothered about the Microsoft machine, but here's PES 2015 not giving a damn, and you can bet there'll be others.

14. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    According to the Gio Corsi dude, Shenmue was their #1 request, but they can't go through with it due to some legal complications.

If this is to be believed, that is.
    http://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=47323

15. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    Unfortunately, digital distro seems to be a huge part of SEGA's future plans. I feel for you, Overlord.

At very least now I don't have to read people bitching about "RELEASE YAKUZA" when I read stuff from SEGA's Facebook page. Now it will likely just be Shenmue that gets that treatment.

16. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    You're forgetting about Yakuza Ishin and Zero, which come after 5 (though Zero is the more important one as it isn't a spin-off). There are also the non-localized spin-off games Kenzan, Kurohy?: Ry? ga Gotoku Shinsh? and its sequel. :v:

17. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Steam, but then ValChron has spoiled me in that regard, since I expected to see a Yakuza game long before it.

18. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    (p.s. if there are fans of Yakuza in, we could use some help shifting this noise to their own separate pages - I don't know what these books actually are)

19. I know pcsx2 is a thing but I'd really love to get my hands on 1/2 HD in English - just to have the Japanese audio track for Yakuza 1. For consistency's sake, ya know? Far as I can tell there's not even an undub for it which I found surprising considering some of the weird stuff weeaboos (pardon the term but it's true) undub - I guess Yakuza's not really up their alley

REALLY excited for Yakuza 5 - I'm as disappointed as anyone that it's digital only since I have 3/4/Dead Souls sitting nicely on my shelf but I'll take what I can get.

20. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member