don't click here

Sonic Boom (Games) Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

This is the reason I called it "BRR's Cry Engine tech demo" and not "earliest build of Sonic Boom". Maybe we should call it "Cry Engine Promo footage" instead, since it's never stated to be a tech demo. And actually we do have a very, very brief snippet of off-screen footage direct from SEGA in the following video at 5:45, and it looks to be exactly like said tech demo.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IK6uQyteDOU

Character models and animations look just like the final game, and the environment looks like this infamous screenshot. I'm willing to bet that, while early, it was more than just a tech demo and was in-fact representative of Sonic Boom at some stage before the game went through development hell. The fact it uses the CryEngine makes me think it was never intended for the Wii U in the first place.

Also this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srz_xVXat3I

While you could dispute whether or not it's real time cause it's just the title screen, this footage is from E3 and is again just like the CryEngine promotional video footage.

2. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Guys I found out what RubyEclipse has been up to:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZNjmG5YUvU

+ - Actually not as bad as I thought it would be.  

3. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Heh, that was the best Sonic Boom related thing to have been released so far. :)

4. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Even if only Amy & Robotnik actually did any singing. =P

Good on Ruby for joining in though, I wonder if he was asked to play Tails or asked them? Even pimped out the game without being paid by Sega to do it!

5. Raia

Raia

Try to construct a Keio Saturn > PSX converter and mod a Sega Saturn Arcade stick
    That was actually pretty entertaining and great to see Ruby again.

6. Felik

Felik

Something seems fishy.
    There's a playthrough of Rise of Lyric on that channel where player (Sonic from the Musical video) says something along the lines of "Thank god I'm not playing latest Assassin Creed game. That game is a glitchy mess unlike Sonic Boom."

7. Yusuke

Yusuke

That Random Lurker Member
    Okay seriously is there a way to disable the fucking sounds that are randomly put all over this board? I really do like reading through here and seeing what you guys are finding/talking about, but with my apparently way2loud headphones set to a moderate volume, I still get blasted and given panic attacks at complete random due to some poorly placed incredibly loud sound of either some dude screaming his face off, or in this case, Sonic drowning poorly. I want to be here, guys, I don't want to not come here in case of fucking jumpscares. Does anyone really like hearing "blublbublbublbbbublbbb..." every time they refresh this topic? :/ Not amused.

On topic: I guess I got the Wii U one and it was shite but you all knew that, thankfully I didn't entirely pay for it by my lonesome, a friend and I bought it together, knowing full well what we were getting into. Fun for all the wrong reasons, etc.

8. Jay T.

Jay T.

It takes an idiot to do cool things... Member
    Download the AdBlock add-on if you're using Chrome or FireFox. Although I think noscript will work too. Not 100% sure.

A friend of mine mentioned something similar a while ago. Though I haven't looked at Unity, so I don't know how glitchy that game is in comparison.

9. It's just this topic. It's no where else. There's a way / script of disabling it no doubt but I personally don't mind it. I still find it funny, and a credit, to this game.

Funnies gotta be fun 'n all.

10. Lambda

Lambda

I don't like it. It plays when I 'm reading in public places and forget to turn the sound off... then I get all sorts of weird looks.

11. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    To the untrained ear I imagine it sounds like autoerotic asphyxiation.

I still find it funny, but I can imagine why some wouldn't like it. I'm impressed it's been in place for so long to be honest.

12. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    I think the BLBLBLBLBLBL SFX joke has run its course though, its getting alittle tiring to hear it every time I come in here or refresh or edit or post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xe6DI6yiew

Why did they think co-op was still a good idea?

13. IndyTheGreat

IndyTheGreat

Fixed Water (SADX PC)
    It's not like the Wii U is unable to make a game look like that "tech demo" as we have several gorgeous games already out or coming soom. This game had potential to be very gorgeous if they just used another engine that is designed to run on the Wii U.

14. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    To sell more toys.

Although you could also argue it was in Sonic 2 so that means it's a-okay. Context? Who needs that?

Although as an aside, it would be cool to see a game like this where the characters had a respectible level of intelligence, I.e. if they fell down a hole they'd try and get out rather than just teleporting around. The field of AI has progressed quite a bit in the last twenty years (although you wouldn't know it watching this game).

15. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    I actually think we should have the drowning noise on every page of every board so it's probably a good thing I'm not in charge of that stuff

16. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Hey guys I just put up my review of Shattered Crystal: http://www.sonicretro.org/2014/12/sonic-boom-shattered-crystal-the-retro-review/

It's kinda bad.

17. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Umm, Sonic? do you need some help?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdSZjcehTw8

18. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

This happens, absolutely without fail, every time you jump over that chest. You approach from the rising platform on the right, and as there's a ledge to the left you'd expect players to attempt to jump over to it. But nope. You just get stuck without absolutely no way to get Sonic out yourself. At least he's on the ground though, so you can switch characters. If you get one of the many clipping glitches in the game and just fall through the scenery into an endless pit, you can't switch because you're not on the ground. Your only hope would be if you're Knuckles, and you might be able to infini-jump out of there.

19. You can cause a similar glitch in Speed Highway by adjusting some HEX parameter.

20. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Something hilarious. The UK Wii top 20 charts for last week (ending 29th)

Sonic Boom (and Bayonetta 2 OOPS) sold fewer copies than FIFA 13. FIFA 13 being the FIFA game from 2012, I.e. one two years out of date.