don't click here

New Re-encoded Sonic Xtreme videos in the raw !

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Andrew75, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    AVI's Uploaded by Chris Senn, these have been re-encoded.
    We've all seen these before , but not like this! I think this is as good as its ever going to get. (unless we re-contrast the videos.)
    The E3 1996 promo video can be seen clearly for the first time . The 4 worlds video with Jade gully has a clean opening among other things if you guys can catch them.
    I think that the videos need to be re-contrasted though as they are a bit dark.

Here are Youtube up-loads in case you want to check them out quickly.

SonicDemo96 (New Paths and New Worlds)
    http://youtu.be/D6nAM6oVwqc

Xtreme promo spot ( shown at E3 1996 ) Music score intact and for the first time very clear visuals! (This is my personal favorite)
    If you look very close at 1:17 you can see that Sonic's sprite may have environment lighting as he runs arround the crystal.
    http://youtu.be/qdBKq7o6RTE

2. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Wow, you can really see how unrefined the game was at the point they were showing it off at E3! I see now why they inter-spliced it with the "Mario" sequences so they could cut up the gameplay footage to short bursts.

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Yet more proof this game would have potentially been a train wreck. Still interesting though.

4. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    I think if they had more time to work on things, I truly feel they could have pulled off something pretty fun and entertaining . When looking at that E3 video, and than actually looking at the leaked levels in person, you get a more complete view as to how truly incomplete the levels shown in that video really are. ( they seem like they were tossed together as tests levels , or maybe even rushed to make it on time for an E3 deadline. The only one that looks like it could be a full level would be the Jungle area which is quite massive. There is a lot of that level not shown in the videos. All the other areas that are shown is basically it. (What's not shown off screen actually does not exist.) Well there is a little bit more to them but not much)
    But yeah these levels are much earlier than what's shown in the other 2 videos. They too were quickly tossed together if memory serves correct. So we shouldn't judge by looking at an unfinished engine.

Here is the final Video uploaded to Youtube ( since I'm only allowed 2 videos in the first topic)
    Sonic Xtreme 4worlds (Jade Gully, Red Sands, Crystal Frost, and Galaxy Fortress)
    http://youtu.be/HX5Tc-Flxqw

5. SF94

SF94

Tech Member
    Cool stuff! It's nice to see higher quality footage of all this stuff.

6. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Amazing stuff, Andrew! It's great to have all of this in such high quality - particularly the E3 video, as it's nice to finally see that in watchable quality and in its entirety, but also the New Paths/New Worlds video as the leaked assets don't contain these levels, so this high-quality footage is potentially all we'll ever have of those. You can definitely see there's been a lot of refinement to the game's engine between the E3 video and New Paths/New Worlds!

Am I correct in saying that, as far as we're aware, the reason New Paths/New Worlds aren't included in the leaked assets is because the version of the engine given to POV was older, so some of the functionality (and thus the levels designed to show it off) wasn't yet present?

7. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    We should be thanking Chris Senn for sharing these just today on his forums.
    The new Paths level has been leaked in the first leak , there are multiple versions of the level though with various names, one name was star something. ( not going to check now, since im heading to bed, lol )
    but yeah paths data is included in the def files. With NeKit's help pin pointing path vertex positions, I've already rebuilt the paths by hand last year and they are fully animated to boot.( and yes working in AXSX)

8. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    That version they were using for E3 looks appauling, and now that we have clear music for it... it sounds appauling too.

You can see why people walked away from that conference thinking the game was terrible. Sonic seems to spend half the time levitating slightly above the floor.

9. Spinksy

Spinksy

UK
    Nice, thanks for uploading.

10. What? You don't like Hot For Teacher? [​IMG]

The lagging behind animation is the most annoying bit to me, how Sonic is still walking halfway through a jump. It's nice to see how far along some parts where before it was shelved, but I don't know, the game still sorta looks almost unplayable to me.

11. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Ah, apologies - meant to flag this up in my original post, but was in a rush this morning. Indeed, many thanks to Chris Senn for uploading these higher-quality versions - it's great to see that he's still interested in sharing information and footage related to X-treme with the community, even after all this time. = )

Thanks for clarifying - didn't realise we had various versions of "New Paths"; guess it's just "New Worlds" that we don't have from that vid then. Slightly off-topic, but it's also exciting to hear that you have a working version of "New Paths" working in AXSX, complete with the animated paths and everything! = D

12. Lambda

Lambda

Sorry if this was explained and I missed it, but the footage seen in that last video. The one with Jade Gully and the ice level. Is that the build we have?

13. The thing that bugged me in the videos was seeing instances of things like Sonic standing slightly tilted on top of an object in a manner that felt a lot like the wonkier physics in games like Sonic 4. I was also kinda put off by how Sonic runs faster than his movement in many of the obviously-automated "speed sequences" like corkscrews. In general, it felt like this engine wasn't a solid foundation for a game that was meant to play "like Sonic", and... strangely enough, the way Sonic moved in regards to his acceleration and momentum made me think often of SRB2, where Sonic would zoom fast through a level on a dime in such a way that the camera would have difficulty keeping up if he veered too much left or right.

14. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Yes that's what we have publicly available so far.

15. Lambda

Lambda

Awesome! That's the one that always intrigued me the most, since the levels look like... levels. :P

16. Thank you for sharing this! I'm noticing a lot of details that weren't visible before like faint falling snow in Crystal Frost.

17. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Falling snow ? where ? the only thing I see that could look like snow are from Sonic's invincibility powerups, lol

18. It's just barely visible. It's easiest to see against the shadowed area when Sonic's jumping on the lift. You see little white specks appearing and disappearing in a repeated pattern.

Edit: May be that some of the background blocks are animated with a sparkling effect now that I'm looking at it again more closely.

19. It's fascinating that these are finally publicly available in a more polished visual state.

What's more is the difference between that of which was shown to public / press at E3 at and the demo's (specifically New Paths) by Ofer and Chris. That New Paths demo really does somewhat shine and so you that the game's concept designs were being sufficiently met by the developers. Though we may know the other half of that story (performance issues, multiple platform builds ect. ect.), it's a shame we've never had the chance nor seen a fluid game come out of this in the end. I can only imagine the awe that would be in watching some serious Speed Runners of this game with all the fancy camera and level / engine mechanics that existed.

Then you look back at the E3 build and think "shit." Ah well.

20. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    Mediafire has taken 2 of the links down. Are they archived on the wiki yet?