don't click here

Sonic Boom (Games) Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Oct 2, 2013.

1. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

I'm amazed at the amount of suggestions about company decisions being flung about here like they're absolute fact. Let's just be clear here that none of this is verified yet, so the next Sonic skipping Wii U, or how SEGA decided to release Boom is all speculation.

2. I will say that one difference between this scenario and Colonial Marines is that it at least seems apparent that Sega knew this game would suck at least pre-E3 this year, as opposed to the apparent blindsiding they got with Gearbox.

Edit: also, the AMERICAN branch doesn't like Classic Sonic? They actually ARE completely out of touch with what the fanbase wants. This project was doomed from the start with that mindset! Sega should just fire the whole lot. For crying out loud, what has been wrong with Sega of America the past few years? Learning this on TOP of the complete lack of an American PSO2, it's almost like SoA is nothing but a self-destructive tykebomb.

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Hey on the bright side, maybe Sega needed another Sonic 06 to give them a swift kick in the ass again. After 06 came out we got some of the only good 3d Sonics to exist (unleashed, colors, generations). Then they got comfortable and made lost world (heroes) and this (06 2).

Here's to hoping sonic runners is Sonic R 2

4. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    So um, just theoretically, how BAD of a financial hit does Sega take from two games and a TV show* (and by extension, the toyline based on it) all tanking?

*I still have hope for the content of the show, but that early morning timeslot smells like death.

5. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    Apparently SEGA is taking down videos of the game.

6. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

The LPs, yeah. With only a few hours until the American release as well. It's kinda pathetic.

Oh but they missed the best one
    http://youtu.be/hDCzoqhjP7M

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    I would had given BRB the benefit of the doubt if they were a bunch of rookie developers straight out of college or something similar. But they are not. They are seasoned veterans who have been working in the videogame industry for years, with a fair chunk of them all coming from the same studio, who is one of the most celebrated videogame developers ever. Seasoned developers who have been supposedly working on this game for what, three or so years by this point. And in an interview some of them have outright shared their past experiences of past games in the series.

BRB should not only know the basics of what makes a good game and what doesn't (and if not a good game, a unique game at the very least), but considering these member's past history with Sonic and three plus years' worth of development time, should know the basics of what works for (a series like) Sonic and what doesn't and ultimately have some grasp on how to make a game that while distinct from traditional main Sonic games nonetheless isn't a complete departure of the fundamentals of the series' gameplay.

But this is all redundant because the quality of Rise of Lyric speaks for itself.

Given the amount of marketing Sega has given both the games (despite it being well justified) and the animated series, I wouldn't blame anybody for believing this. :colbert:

8. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    The 3DS CGIs and final boss battle were leaked.

The final boss is probably the most boring thing I've ever seen, unless you LIKE fighting the same boss four times in a row with not so much as a change in pattern.

9. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    It's well within their right to do so since the game isn't officially released.

10. Captain L

Captain L

The guy who likes Shadow the Hedgehog Member
    Waiting for the coming of the Great White Hankerchief
    You know what, I've had a change of heart. I'll play Rise of Lyric when the library gets a copy, might not be long. There's the possibility I'll be surprised and somehow enjoy it, but it's more to be sure I can say it's shit and to be a heretic and claim Shadow and Black Knight are much better games.

11. 1) While I'll accept taking down LPs and whatnot, it's obvious the intent is to take down videos specifically calling out the game on sucking. Considering how many of the videos are intended for critique purposes, I'd contest whether this is within their rights. ("Fair Use" rules were designed in the first place to protect the rights of critics and parody in the first place.)

2) The fact that Sega is resorting to this shows that they are desperate in their damage control. They already look bad at YouTube over the Shining Force shit, and this is just adding fuel to the fire.

12. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Is SEGA Japan taking down the videos then? Cause I remember what a shit storm it was with the Shining videos and people flooding the SEGA Forums demanding answers when it was something SEGA Japan did.

But anyway, if they are targeting specific videos that call them out on the game and not just taking them down in general then yeah, that's bad.

13. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    No, it isn't. Video feeds of games should count as fair use since they're not the source material at all, but are produced *by* the source material. Completely transformative.

14. SpaceyBat

SpaceyBat

United States
    Freedom Planet 2
    I'm not sure what my favorite part is - Knuckles blocking the camera, Lyric's ship casually flying in to soothing nature music, or everyone standing completely still as if they're in awe at the sheer intensity of it.

15. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    If Knuckles were merely blocking the camera, it'd be simply bad. But no, they took it the extra step, and that dude there is full-on clipping right through him, standing in the same place. How something like this can go unnoticed in QA is beyond me.

16. Captain L

Captain L

The guy who likes Shadow the Hedgehog Member
    Waiting for the coming of the Great White Hankerchief
    To be fair, that doesn't always happen. The uploader explained in the comments that the way partners follow you is very similar to how it is in Sonic 06, where Sonic leaves them behind and they teleport to his current location all the time to keep up. Knuckles just happened to teleport in when the cutscene started, and since it isn't a full cutscene with programmed locations for characters, it does nothing to compensate if someone gets in the frame, though I don't know how they would program around that.

17. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    Oh I know, right? It's not their fault for giving the property to shitty developers, or the fault of specific shitty developers making a terrible game. It MUST be the fact that they let western developers make a game at all! And yes, this will be their logic, I don't doubt it at all.
    Just as they take a common fan suggestion, stretch it to breaking point in their next game, the game fails because they hinged a lot of the game on this one horribly mutilated implementation of the suggestion, and then who is blamed? The idea, and the fans. Then the fans are told "they don't know what they want" and "this is what happens when Sega listens to their fans".

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Another thing I just thought of. I'm really really glad they emphasized that this was a sub series. No one is taking it seriously. It's a bad game, it'll get bad reviews, but it's just stupid. I honestly think it's impact will be far less damaging than Sonic 06. Perhaps because the series is already considered a joke, but at the very least we should hear less doom and gloom out of this and more people having shits and giggles with the stupidity of this. Hopefully Sega will wise up a bit after it and we'll all learn something from this. And then we can get another Sonic game and this whole Nintendo exclusivity bit will be over.

I want another PC game though. Seriously.

19. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Man, this shit is so boring over eight years later. SEGA just keep their roller coaster ride going and everyone is stupid enough to get on it.

Thing is though, we're probably all fucking stupid to think that SEGA still creates these games for anyone over 12, because, well, apart from you guys, I don't know anyone around my age (20+) who's played a 3D Sonic since Sonic Heroes or Shadow The Hedgehog.

There's a reason for that. Half of the games aren't good. The ones that are (and aren't classic remakes/remasters) are overlooked as the rest are substandard.

20. Tichmall

Tichmall

J.League PK Party, a "penalty kick" minigame.
    The game looks like something you could find on PS2, but I have to say, that Knuckles is hilarious.