don't click here

Best way to play Donkey Kong 64 through emulation?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Willie, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Toasty

Toasty

BulbaSAUR! Member
    Honestly I'd just invest in the cartridge. It's extremely cheap on eBay (about $18.) That's quite good considering it's a Rare Ware title.

2. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    That's what I said, but I think having a decent controller to play it on was the issue.

Also, this just came to my mind : http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/gc_to_n64_adapter/

This particular one is kinda old, but there are adapters to use GameCube controllers on the N64, or you can make your own if you have all the right equipment. After playing both N64 Zelda's with a GC controller on the virtual console, and one of my cousin's copies of Zelda Collection, they feel much better suited to N64 games than the first-party controllers are, if not perfect.

EDIT : Any idea what an optional Search Page hijacker is doing in the 2.1 installer for PJ64? I don't feel comfortable installing the emulator itself even if I clicked Disagree.

3. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    What were your settings with Project 64 1.6? I'm tempted to make a video showing how badly this game runs for me.

----------

If I do want to play the game on original hardware, a friend is willing to lend me his N64 and game, but I'm having issues getting my CRT TV to work for games because the remote for it is long gone. I ordered a universal remote, but could never get it to work. I tried calling customer service, but after awhile, no-one will answer and I'll get redirected to an automatic voice mailbox...only for me not to be able to leave a message because their voice box is full. Plus as I mentioned earlier, I don't want to spend quite a bit of money on a controller (or an adapter) for only one game on a system I do not own.

4. Vinchenz

Vinchenz

Yo! Hustle! Hustle! Member
    Sorry but I'm fairly certain I don't have those files anymore to check. I'm certain I used Glide64 Final (10th Anniversary) as the video plugin, and I'm pretty sure my settings were pumped up. My computer is pretty dang beefy so I'd be playing it at a high resolution and such.

5. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Sounds like my configuration.