don't click here

Sonic Overture Thread [Sunrise Gate Zone Demo Available]

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Jassbec, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    That will be up for you to decide. I'd say it's great enough that it's up for debate. It's very different music though. You're going to be hearing someone else's talents for the next stage.

2. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    How many and which musicians are involved with this project?

3. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    If this becomes another case of After the Sequel, except more like Before the Beginning... :V

Sorry to hear about the whole controversy issue. Never would I think something like a video game modding community about a SEGA game would spawn such obscene backstabbing. Pretty ridiculous

Rrgardless, the work you guys put into the demo is stellar and I again CANNOT WAIT to see the next part of this project c:

4. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

The Land of Waldos
    Six musicians.

Mr Lange (me)
    Sean Evans (aka Lone)
    Toni Leys
    Symphonic Games
    Can Of Nothing
    Faseeh

Thank you from all of us Chimera, we can't wait to share it.

5. S0LV0

S0LV0

Sonic Generations Helpdesk Tech Member
    Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    Basically lots of artists I know and love. I look forward to seeing how the musical direction develops, I'm very interested in this pseudo-modernized-Genesis style.

6. Faseeh

Faseeh

That's nice to hear. We're aiming for a CD hybrid with FM, to anchor the "Crazier 90s Sonic" feel (if you could call it that).

7. Jassbec

Jassbec

Lost Prototype Member
    Sonic Overture, Zeondrive
    maybe
    if you enjoyed the previous tracks you will really enjoy the rest of the soundtrack
    speaking of that, the zone is coming along well

We call it CD/FM Hybrid, it's not a very original name but it works, lol.

8. Machenstein

Machenstein

Those spoiler tags had me all excited.

Now that this thread has been bumped, has the new Sonic 1 prototype material given you guys some new ideas? Personally, I'm surprised to know Sharps was a parakeet instead of a chicken.

9. Jassbec

Jassbec

Lost Prototype Member
    [​IMG]

10. Liraxus

Liraxus

Some shmuck Member
    Idiotville
    Nothing, really.
    Oh /boy/, another Sonic Fangame I get to wait excitedly for, maybe even more than Sonic After the Sequel made me. (Sorry, Feperd.)

Starting off, this game treated me to some lovely recreational pixel art of Sonic 1's beta artwork, and I will say I am all down for this idea, considering I'm a Sonic 1 Beta buff, and I think this game took that style and expressed it beautifully, the bright colors shining off of a wonderfully selected pallete featuring plenty of pastel colors fits shockingly well in a Sonic game. Throw in the previously mentioned Sonic 1 beta artwork, such as the golden sun loop, and those glorious temples, and I can't help but LOVE this games graphical presentation. (Also, I hope that the "His name is sonic!" on the title ring is an homage to Super Mario Sunshine, because I smiled at that after my mind registered that it wasn't saying "Hell is a blue sonic" behind him...don't ask, I'm weird.

What I like about this is just its wonderful presentation, for a first zone, it's really knit tightly together, and each one keeps to a general style while mixing up the graphics and adding new gimmicks to make each zone feel unique, something I felt Sonic ATS lacked in alot of areas. Each one feels involved with the small cutscenes that don't interrupt the gameplay and keep things going(something that, again, I think was a bit bothersome in ATS), such as Splats being introduced(and his face on a goal sign, which I will say was a nice touch), and Sonic bumping into Eggman's massive rear end. I literally LAUGHED when that last scene happened, and that's something I don't recall a 2D Sonic Game ever doing, this game has character, it has good gameplay, good graphics, just...alot of great things.

I'm EXTREMELY excited to play this, and I hope others who want to create fangames takes note of this game for doing its own thing while creating the classic Sonic gameplay I'm sure a lot of people yearn for.

11. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

The Land of Waldos
    Actually...
    [​IMG]

Splats is the name of the badnik: [​IMG]

Thank you for the positive review Liraxus.

12. InfinityInfinity

InfinityInfinity

The Key spamming Pac-Man main Member
    OOP NORTH!
    Sonic Zodiac
    2 months late, but I'd just like to verify this as I was also caught up in the situation for being framed as one of the hackers. Thankfully the hard work of Lange and some others were able to sort out this whole mess, and sanctions have now been applied to those responsible. Just some closure on the incident, for those wondering.

13. Jassbec

Jassbec

Lost Prototype Member
    We've been making some great progress lately. We present the public debut of stage 2, Granite Zone.

http://pc0.hapisan.com/Overture/Granite Act 1 Preview.mp3
    Download
    [​IMG]

Granite Zone is located deeper within the island, featuring the ruins of temples in an overgrown jungle alongside a volcano. Wrought iron craftsmanship and ancient trees weave through the scenery, as lava from the volcano overflows into the ruins, making them difficult to traverse. Mysterious flying objects can be seen far away hovering in the sky.

We're also happy to announce that Sonic Overture will have a new home, as a new engine is in development that will free us from the limitations of MMF2 and Sonic Worlds. Stay tuned for updates.

14. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    New engine? What aspects to MMF2 was holding this game back? Also, that screenshot looks really, really pretty.

15. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

The Land of Waldos
    I could write a book on all the problems it has. To repost what I said on SFGHQ:

16. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    That looks awesome, Sonic Overture is probably my favourite fangame.

Who's the composer for the track? Is it the same person who composed Sunset Gate?

Also what's the new engine...or is it a secret :p

17. Faseeh

Faseeh

The composer of Sunrise Gate was Mr Lange and this one's is Sean Evans. He's awesome too.

We're glad you like what our team has done! :D

18. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    The background blends in with the foreground because you're using the same (or similar) set of colours. You might want to change that? Backgrounds and foregrounds in Sonic games tend to be a bit more distinct.

Otherwise lovely stuff.

19. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    I know what it is but I don't know if Lange wants it revealed yet or not.

20. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

The Land of Waldos
    Techokami would be right, it's still under wraps. We'll definitely have a big announcement when it's ready.

The colors are definitely going to be adjusted. A lot of it is a temporary rough draft for the mockup. We're aware of the blending issue.