don't click here

The Sonic 3, 20th Anniversary & Knuckles Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Taxman, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Lambda

Lambda

It's free to make accounts. :v:

And you never have to use it again.

2. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    Hopefully the best outcome, having both PC and Genesis soundtracks for the stages, could come to fruition. Carnival Night, Ice Cap and Launch Base have always had my favorite songs in Sonic 3 and the PC songs to me aren't bad, but not high on my Sonic song favorites.

If the songs are even the problem, that is.

This makes me wonder, what if new original songs were composed instead, taking inspiration from the original songs?

Either way, some food for thought:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48wugEUoPpo

3. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    By all means, continue escalating it. I'm writing my own letter to submit, taking some samples from what some of you wrote here and propositions I can argue on a business perspective from my time covering the industry, specifically SEGA. I'll be posting that up a little later once it's in good shape. All it'd need is translating. But we need to make enough noise that it cannot simply be ignored without making someone over in Japan look like an awful person.

Do the appeals, spread this around, get that hash tag trending (globally would be huge, but let's start small. We're basically an online grassroots campaign now.) I don't expect SoA and SoE to help us out officially since they'd likely get blasted by SoJ, but it'd be huge. For now, it's all on us. Make it known this is what we truly want, but understand the complications around it and appeal that either SEGA works around it or they settle the matter, whatever it may be.

4. Lambda

Lambda

Sorry for posting again so soon, but I just wanted to share. I did a bit of an iteration on Big Smile's short letter, making it more medium-sized. Not lacking in detail, but with very simple wording to help aide any translations it may receive. I'm sure Gene's letter will be better, but I figured I'd share if anyone's interested in working it over again. :)

5. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    We gotta get the attention of websites like Sega Nerds, Retronauts, USgamer, or any Sega fan-site affiliate with a love for classic Sonic games. We should get everyone together to put this campaign in full blast to stir up storms at the SOJ because, as it has been stated so many times, they don't seem to care much about the opinions from overseas consumers or even their own international branches for that matter. Recruiting the help of the Japanese Sonic fan-base would be instrumental too. Have there been any efforts to round up the Japanese fans in fact?

6. GeneHF

GeneHF

Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    I don't even know of many Japanese Sonic fans to begin with.

I also think, if some of you multilingual folks want to help out, that there's a centralized site (the one posted earlier is a fine example) that also breaks this down in several other languages. Let's just really get this going global.

But seriously, we should address the legal problems in our appeals too. We know there's something there and I feel it's very important we address this too.

7. Tanks

Tanks

So that's the uniting force then. Make sure to emphasize that you wish for a remastered release, regardless of the soundtrack. We're willing to make concessions. Be creative, be original, but stick to the point. Remember, every nook and cranny of the Sonic community, be it from the major forums or the fanart and fangame communities, need to know. If you already gotten the word out to people who follow you, urge them to spread the word as well. Happen to know any big net celebrities? That is an opportunity that would be HUGE for us. Networking and connections guys. Use 'em like you've never used them before. We've all seen these sorts of movements crash up against some pretty thick walls, but what those movements lacked was a clear, concise message and a snowball's chance in hell. We've got that chance. There's tons of hope here. SEGA's been pretty cool to us in recent years (despite us being a tad bit whiney at times :v:) and Tax and Stealth's ports are proof of that. We just have to push to make it a success.

I personally suggest holding off on pushing this to the "games press" until there's been a good post consolidating a lot of the information here on one, easy to access page. If someone wants to put together a pretty website or, heck, a nice retro front page post would do it, that should cover it for now.

8. GeneHF

GeneHF

Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    I don't want to consider making a Retro front page post unless we can get a centralized location up. I don't want this to be interpreted as a "Retro thing." It might have started here, but this is something that in my mind is larger than it.

9. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Big Smile has put together a nice start here. Once it's finished, it would be a good base of operations.

http://www.sonic3onmobile.com/

10. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    I've sent a Tweet out. FTCR has done a post, when I get home I'll think about how best to throw a post out on the notorious tumblr to make it worth a damn.

Whatever we do, I'm all aboard. I like that site Big Smile's got going.

11. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    I suggest we have a new sticky thread that is regularly updated with links to the official hashtag, Taxman's video, Stealth's blog, Sonic websites, letter to SOJ and some other bits like a signature for people to use on the forums they go on.

#BringBackSonic3 https://twitter.com/hashtag/BringBackSonic3?src=hash
    Taxman's Sonic 3 video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct1cErthI6s
    Stealth's blog http://hcstealth.tumblr.com/post/100311283757/sonic-3-knuckles-20th-anniversary
    Letter templates (insert here when ready)
    SOJ address (for the physical letters)
    Sonic Retro http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showforum=1 (place the sticky thread in here)
    Official Sonic 3 Mobile site http://www.sonic3onmobile.com/
    Retro Sonic Club http://retrosonicclub.deviantart.com/
    Retro Sonic Club hashtag letter http://retrosonicclub.deviantart.com/journal/BringBackSonic3-492415522
    (insert other websites here)

Once this is in momentum I'll post the details on the FL Studio forums to see if the folks over there are interested and for them to spread the word.

12. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    This needs a lot more to it before it starts to even think about being given out, even with the "this is under construction" notice. As it is, it just sounds like "GIVE US THE GAME PLS" without anything even recently discussed in this topic to back it up beyond "I want the game. Gimmeh." I think it is way, way too early for a subsite such as this, until it gains more momentum and at least until we can all agree exactly what should be the establishing points on the list to make it convincing.

13. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

I realize this is far from the point, and I don't want to sound ungrateful, but... couldn't we focus more on the "remake" part rather than the "on mobile" part? Let's not exclude the PC/console users patiently waiting their turn to play this stuff.

14. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I'd be happy with that.

Not the happiest, but happy.

15. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Perhaps they can release the game and deal with the music issues later, then release that in an update that gives you a PC/MD Music option a la 2012 CD's JP/US Music options.

16. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    I was going to submit the letter to my translator guy, but shall I hold off as it looks like some other members might have some ideas? I'll submit tomorrow, so if any one has more suggestions, please advise!

It is only very early. I was aiming to get it all finished when the translated letter is complete.

However, I am not sure what more a site needs other than an explanation of the remake, social media links and the letter writing campaign.

I don't think it's a good idea to focus on issues such as music rights, because we don't know if the music is the problem. It's better just to show Sega Networks that there is demand for the game and then let them decide about the music.

One major problem we have is that Sega Networks is mostly Japanese. So we need to make sure our opinions are as simple as possible. If we suggest too many things, they'll get lost in translation. We don't want Sega Networks getting confused and then hiring another team of developers to do an emulated version on mobile.

Sega obviously don't have any intention in the near future of releasing it outside of mobile, so if we start focusing on other platforms we will confuse the issue. And really, while it might sound harsh, why can't PC/console just buy an Android device? They are relatively cheap, connect to TVs and work with controllers. Granted it's a pain and an unnecessary expense. But it's no different than getting a WiiU to play Sonic Lost World.

17. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    I agree with this, focus on mobile where it can be updated with fixes and when it's all done we can then hope for the collection on other platforms.

18. GeneHF

GeneHF

Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Less focus on the platform at all, more on actually getting it made. It doesn't matter if it's on mobiles or Steam.

19. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Yeah, it's best to not mention the platform and just focus on getting Sonic 3 Taxman/Stealth Edition.

20. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I'll be be honest. I've been frequenting this thread and still don't have much of an idea of what the approach is actually going to be properly. And people on other sites are even more clueless. We need to arrange a full course of action on here, get everything ready and then take action. There's no use in having a site that's so blatantly unfinished, especially when the whole campaign is in such early stages. Launch this too soon and we'll have no chance.