don't click here

General Project Screenshot/Video Thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, Jun 26, 2008.

1. JojHeywood

JojHeywood

Arbitrary. Member
    Eggman's whiter look doesn't really look that bad all things considered.

2. Xeric

Xeric

Workington, England
    S3K Mighty Sheet
    Could it be possible to give Tails his AoStH/SatAM pallete, Psi? Tails wouldn't look as.. broken(?) then.

3. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    There's not enough yolk in that Egg Psi... fix it! [​IMG]

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    It's definitely looking good, but I think it should be moved down a bit. Sonic looks too close to the top of the screen and it looks awkward.

5. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I'm surprised people pointed out the palette changes, since they're pretty much exactly the same as in the previous two hacks.

I may look into it, but I want to get the basic thing working first. Palettes will be the least of concerns here, especially for S3K hacking.

6. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    I'll admit ignorance -- I haven't been paying attention for a while, and although I knew you already had a lot of work done with Sonic 2, Sonic 3 just rings a lot closer to home, for obvious reasons.

7. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Retro 80's themed Twitch streamer ( on hiatus) Member
    Hmm, I will see what I can do, I mainly attempted to mimic the original screen this one is based around while trying to keep the "SEGA" text as centered as I could.
    But for now I am going to stop messing with it. I just coded the screen into the game from scratch (Using only 55 lines of code, which isn't too bad.)

8. ShadowBlitz

ShadowBlitz

Not sure if this is the best place to put this or if I should be posting this in perhaps the SADX topic, but this was something I wanted to release. If there's a way to change the warp areas for the doors and the object layout in general then I'd be very interested to know, but for now I feel like this came out pretty well given the limitations. Definitely would like to be rid of the invisible water if possible. Hopefully I'll have some more interesting stuff to show in the future for this game.

Download is here

For the record, I'd like to thank CorvidDude and a few others for their patience with me in IRC when I asked about getting mods for SADX compiled a while back. Not to mention for making most of this possible to begin with.

Also out of curiosity, is there a way to get SADXLVL2 to import more than one file at once, import separated level pieces from one .obj file, or import level pieces with multiple materials? I know in an older version of SADXLVL2 I was able to import more than one material on an object by having multiple material ID's set to it at least, but that doesn't seem to work in what I believe is the latest version.

[​IMG]

Edit: I'm also curious if there's a way to increase the limit of textures that a level will load. The game was giving trouble loading textures past the number of textures in the original PVM.

9. SF94

SF94

Tech Member
    Probably better suited for the SADX topic, but whatever. I love you.

I don't know about materials, but there's definitely an easy way to increase the texture count for a level (that is, assuming this is a modloader dll, which I imagine it is).

Here's an example from my port of the autodemo At Dawn. It unsurprisingly takes Speed Highway 3's place:

Code (Text):
    2. // The number of textures
    3. NJS_TEXNAME textures[110];
    4. // The texture list structure (contains a pointer to "textures" and its count)
    5. NJS_TEXLIST texlist = { arrayptrandlength(textures) };
    7. // When setting up the landtable, you then just stick your texture list in there
    8. LandTable landtable_00017D74 = { LengthOfArray(collist_00016448), 0, 0xC, 700, collist_00016448, NULL, "HIGHWAY03", (NJS_TEXLIST *)&texlist /* <- like so */, 0, 0 };
    10. PVMEntry SpeedHighway3Textures_list[] = {
    11.         { "HIGHWAY03", (TexList *)&texlist }
    12. };
    There's a little more to it, but that should get you started.

10. ShadowBlitz

ShadowBlitz

Ah, I'll post future stuff in the SADX topic then when I have something to put up.

The texture thing is very helpful to know actually since as you figured, I made this as a modloader dll. I ended up combining a few textures and cutting a few less noticeable ones to make everything fit for this.

Your autolevel At Dawn port was definitely pretty cool to see in action by the way. It was really cool seeing those levels in playable form.

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Wow! It's amazing how those textures make the game look that much more fresh. I'd love to see SADX with a fresh coat of paint.

12. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash

The only way to import more than one model at once is to use the nodetable import/exporters. You can't do it with obj (although nodetable itself is just a list of obj files with extra data attached).

13. sega16

sega16

I have been doing some more work on Retro Graphics Toolkit recently. I have decided to add support for Lua scripting allowing more much greater flexibility in what Retro Graphics Toolkit can do.
    [​IMG]
    This image may look a bit boring as it is just a simple mandelbrot however the interesting aspect of this was that it was generated by simply running a Lua script and then reducing the truecolor image to a palette (what you see here). Even better the program to do it was only 73 lines including mandelbrot code and I could make it even shorter see https://github.com/ComputerNerd/Retro-Graphics-Toolkit/blob/master/luaExamples/mandelbrotToTilemap.lua
    I think this will make Retro Graphics Toolkit more flexible for example one big advantage being making custom file formats very easy to use.

14. ShadowBlitz

ShadowBlitz

Ah okay. I'm guessing this is the script to use then?

It seems to work pretty well although when I tested a large export I ended up getting this error. I'm probably doing something wrong somewhere, but I'm curious about what would cause that.

15. DiscoTheBat

DiscoTheBat

Dimension Alpha
    Sega CD and 32X Shenanigans
    Well, this is my first post around this community so I'll be blunt and quick, My name is DiscoTheBat, many people may know me (or not) from my SSRG account, my SMW works as well and some of my projects such as the Sonic 1 for SNES port and my Sonic 2 & Knuckles hack which I'll be posting the video's link here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlOhZDAYr4M

Unfortunately, due to some personal issues, the project is partially frozen, but for now I have a bit of progress done in it, such as some levels, cutscenes and the new sound driver I'm developing/adapting for it.

16. Pacca

Pacca

ASM amateur Member
    Labyrinth Zone
    Sonic 2 CD Remix
    I'm glad to see you haven't given up on this project; I'm still eagerly looking forward to it! It's incredibly impressive, seeing how much you've managed to port into S3K! I have two questions, though: (A) How do you plan to add the special stages? (B) WHY THE BOSS MUSIC! WHY!

17. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

This is looking good, the transitions are cool, remind me a bit of the Sonic 2 Sonic 3 version hack. Liking the new splash screens too.

18. AURORA☆FIELDS

AURORA☆FIELDS

The cute one here Tech Member
    Finland
    AMPS
    Like I've told many times, this is fantastic work so far! Aside from polishing up here and there, I see nothing to complain about!

As for me, I have something to show as well. As you may know, I am rewriting SoniPlane, for many reasons, one of which is space usage:
    old: [​IMG]
    current: [​IMG]

And here is a random filler screenshot:

[​IMG]

19. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I actually thought it was hilarious when it came up. =P

Very impressive, Disco! Looking forward to seeing more of this.

20. DiscoTheBat

DiscoTheBat

Dimension Alpha
    Sega CD and 32X Shenanigans
    Green Snake, I have checked your thread in regards to this tool and so far, I'm finding this pretty useful, I can't wait until I get to do mapping works with it! Keep up the good job!

Well, for your (A) question, I'm pretty much working on compatibility x speed, more like unifying engines and improving them as I keep going, the result you can see in the below video. Also, aside from that, I'm working on a new compression system that can surpass Kosinski speed and Nemesis compression ratio, so far I'm still working on it but perhaps it can come out eventually.

As for your (B) statement, well, I know there are musics that people won't like, so I'll try to overcome this issue by allowing new playlists as soon I expand my driver capabilities, it's basically pretty much that.
    Thanks for the replies.