don't click here

Sonic CD Help Plz

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Fiz, Jul 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fiz

Fiz

FACKIN' BIG PENIS Oldbie
    PENIS
    Okay, I just downloaded the Sonic CD iso (european), because I now have enough space on my hdd for it. Works fine. Now when it comes to the music...I've been downloading them from SonicStrike (which is a bitch to download from, because the damn downloads cancel 50% of the time).

I have renamed what music I have downloaded so far (12 tracks out of 34) so that it works with the ISO file correctly. Well, some of it works, some of it doesn't. Mainly, the damn title screen music will not work nor will the level complete music work. The mp3 files work fine in winamp and are not corrupt. Perhaps there is a bug in GENS? (I am using 2.11), or maybe the site has the tracks named wrong? (According to them, title music is track26.mp3, and the zone clear is track28.mp3)

Help plz? Oh and don't give me some smartass answers or I will fucking kill you, considering I am asking nicely for help. :)

2. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    The site has the track music wrong. You are supposed to rename them as "SonicCD 01.mp3", "SonicCD 02.mp3", etc., assuming the ISO name is SonicCD.

3. Fiz

Fiz

FACKIN' BIG PENIS Oldbie
    PENIS
    I've stated I renamed them correctly a few times :|

I'm about to say this damn thing is corrupt, just like SonicStrike is. The EUR ISO file for me is 107 mb.

4. Eric Wright

Eric Wright

Born into this. Oldbie
    I use NeoGenesis on my xbox, but it's a port of Gens... when I play Sega CD games in ISO+MP3 format, it requires things be all in the same directory, and be named similarly and in order:

track_01.iso
    track_02.mp3
    track_03.mp3

etc etc etc... also, make sure your cue-sheet is correct. Sega Xtreme has Sega Cuesheet Maker available in their download section:
    http://www.segaxtreme.net/misc/software.html
    follow the instructions to get version 1.1.00. You can name the cuesheet filename whatever you want, but you need to keep the other things in the proper layout.

Dunno, if you want, I can give you a rip of either the Japanese or the USA version; but rather than being in the crappy ISO+MP3, they're in BIN+CUE. You could convert it yourself afterward, but you'd at least have all the audio tracks and could convert them to mp3 on your own accourd

5. Heran Bago

Heran Bago

Ah! It's Puyo battle then. Tech Member
    Am I the only one who thinks that the system of keeping the ISO seperate from the music is F-ing stupid?

6. Eric Wright

Eric Wright

Born into this. Oldbie
    THat's why BIN+CUE is better...not to mention the fact that it's effectively an accurate reproduction of the way the data is on the disc. It's the best method for archival.

7. StephenUK

StephenUK

Liquor in the front, poker in the rear Tech Member
    Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    I think you need to have all of the tracks downloaded before it will work properly, not just 12 of them. I remember once when I had 1 track missing, and it fucked up the whole tracklist. Try getting them all and see if it works then.

8. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    Hey guys-why don't you just get the PC version, and make an ISO and replace the tracks with the japanese music instead?

9. Fiz

Fiz

FACKIN' BIG PENIS Oldbie
    PENIS
    Hm, I'll try that. LOst is also sending me another .iso Sonic CD just incase my other .iso is actually corrupted (which is a chance with SonicStrike)

10. Knux13

Knux13

Member since May 19, 2002 Banned
    The title screen music is track 30-something. Try again once they're all downloaded.

11. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Try adding dummy MP3s for those tracks you still haven't downloaded and see if all the others work now.

12. Eric Wright

Eric Wright

Born into this. Oldbie
    track 30 is invincibility.

title screen is 26; tracks 26 and 27 are duplicates, though 27 is accessed in the "Visual Mode" screen.

28 is finish level
    29 is super shoes
    31 is game over
    32 is special stage
    33 is little planet or whatever- the song that plays in time attack
    34 is the opening
    35 is sonic boom/cosmic eternity

wow, I pulled those all off the top of my head... I hope they're right, but I'm pretty sure they are.

13. Shakidna

Shakidna

Rehash Rampage Member
    What? I get track number 27 in Time Attack.

14. hunterex2000

hunterex2000

Searching for the answers... Often running into br Member
    East of England
    Trying to stop smoking... Sweet, sweet nicotine.
    I had this exact same problem... Sonic CD is a bitch to get to work properly on any emulator. <_<

If you have just twelve MP3 files in the same directory as the ISO file, it'll play them in order but skip the gaps. Even if track three is named 'soniccd21.mp3' if that's the first track you've got, it'll play it as track number 2. And if the next track is named 'soniccd31.mp3', it'll take that as track number 3. Our current emulators scan and arrange the MP3 files for use alphabetically and numerically... It's a bastard, isn't it?! :angry:

For example, the Sonic CD title music is track 26. But if track 25 is missing then all the tracks move forward on place, so track 27 would play where track 26 is supposed to and so on. That's how the original Mega CD CDDA program was constructed within the machine itself if you break it down. On the original CD, it wouldn't miss out any tracks (obviously) so it'd work fine.

So, until you've got every single track within the same directory as the ISO, your game will have messed up background audio.

Oh, and Shikidna track 27 is supposed to play on the Time Attack menu. It's exactly the same music as the title screen music, so I see where you're coming from. I guess the guys who orchestrated the music were lazy beggars who couldn't be arsed to write new music.

15. Eric Wright

Eric Wright

Born into this. Oldbie
    I've never had any problem playing this game; be it from the original disc, one I threw together with mp3s and burned to play on my physical sega cd, or everything together in an emulator.

I told you, I can give you a BIN+CUE rip of any version you want, USA/EUR/JAP, and you can run it through a program to convert it to ISO+WAV and then compress the WAV files. That way you know you have a perfect ISO, and you've got every single audio track where it should be.

16. EXOGGEDDEN

EXOGGEDDEN

orgasmic Member
    You need to have the .ISO file with the name "track" in this case(Then track02, track03, and so on). You also need all the .mp3 files present, or else it'll fuck up. Fun thing is, it doesn't HAVE to be Sonic CD's MP3s in order to work. You could add and rename any MP3s to check if it's really a problem with the iso or not. I've tried it once with NiGHTS' soundtrack, and it worked =P

17. FinalBeyond

FinalBeyond

I've tried the advice in the thread, and finally I can play the music. However, the order appears to be messed up.

What is the correct order for every track?

18. Fiz

Fiz

FACKIN' BIG PENIS Oldbie
    PENIS
    Yea, I just got another .iso of Sonic CD euro and the music still doesn't play. It must be that I don't have all the files in there.

And it would be very helpful if someone posted the track order to make sure I have them named correctly

19. EXOGGEDDEN

EXOGGEDDEN

orgasmic Member
    Track02 - Unused time warp thingie
    Track03 - PalmTree panic present
    Track04 - Palmtree panic good future
    Track05 - Palmtree panic bad future
    Track06 - Collision Chaos present
    Track07 - Collision Chaos good future
    Track08 - Collision chaos bad future
    Track09 - Tidal tempest present
    Track10 - Tidal tempest good future