don't click here

Super CD-ROM2 vs Mega-CD

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by doc eggfan, Oct 16, 2014.

1. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    I've just started collecting PC engine software, and am impressed with the range of software available. It got me thinking how weird it is that NEC got a wide range of different and exclusive games using the CD format and it doesn't seem to suffer the same stigma that the Mega CD got for lazy cart ports and "crappy" FMV games.

Does anyone know why that is? Both Sega and NEC more or less had the same strategy, yet NEC seems to have got it right and Sega not so much.

2. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    Just really quick, something I've noticed with the PC Engine/TG16 is that accessories are its thing. I imagine people who were invested it in were already used to buying separate hardware for certain functionality.

Regardless of that, Sega's approach to the CD format was to really try and take advantage of it and market it, in any way that could. FMV was a type of game that was not really practical on a cartridge, so they became the headliners to show off Sega CD. Ports from the Genesis with enhanced music were probably seen as a easy way to make money, so Sega went that route full force. NEC, however, seemed to use the CD format more for the same reason you'd use an enhancement chip in a cartridge. That is, to remove limitations within the software. This is all from a purely American viewpoint, of course.

3. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Super simple - the Super CD-ROM2 did reasonably well in Japan and was supported by Japanese developers, but had virtually no support in the West. With the Mega-CD, the reverse is true (sort-of - there was some Japanese support in the beginning, just not enough). And IIRC there was a close-knit deal with Digital Pictures.

Apparently the US favoured FMV tat. I've been surrounding myself in a lot of old marketing recently and the general theme seems to be "guh pretty colours" over products with actual substance.

4. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    CD was not marketed as addon but the "future", you weren't supposed to develop HuCard games at that point nor people buy them. Shift of focus.