don't click here

Sonic X is no longer licensed in the United States

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Mendinso, Oct 3, 2014.

1. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Maddie Blaustein, I believe. She voiced Omega in Shadow and 2006. Then she went and died. She also voiced Meowth in the Pokemon anime before the voice actor change.

My mistake: Shadow was a one-off performance by Jeff Kramer.

2. Episodes 1-52 were embarassingly bad, but 53-78 were kickass. I'd love to see that shit properly made in English.

3. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Yeah well be lucky cause this is what we had to deal with. Horrid...

Yes Jeff Kramer was Omega's VA for SHTH, perfect guy for a replacement I don't know why after he left they chose Maddie Blaustein she had range but "robot" wasn't one.

4. Xilla

Xilla

The problem that I've gathered from reading interviews from some of the 4Kids cast was that they were basically shown a few clips from Sonic Adventure 2 and were told "Do it like that".

5. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Not like the Adventure cast had much more to go on :P a common thread in the Sonic series seems to be awful - or non-existent - voice direction, at least until Unleashed and beyond.

6. JaredAFX

JaredAFX

You telling me a shrimp fried this rice? Member
    Florida
    Downloading megahertz
    I really, REALLY disliked Jason Griffith as Sonic until Black Knight (it was almost there in Unleashed, but it wasn't until Black Knight that I actually like the voice). Of course, it's just personal opinion. I think Sonic was just too squeaky (kind of like Jet) and almost had a... New England accent without the mishapen vowels, if that makes any sense. If this were a week ago I wouldn't have mentioned Black Knight; ClementJ642 is back from his summer break and jumped right back into Sonic, and I immediately noticed that the voice is just an easier speaking voice and I like how he did it. Do I like Ryan Drummond and Roger Craig Smith better? Hell yes. But I appreciate that he was able to evolve the voice into something pretty good.

When new episodes of Sonic X were airing, I was at my mom's Saturday mornings with DirecTV that aired them on Sunday, and I was at my dad's Sunday mornings with Comcast that aired them Saturdays. I have no idea why or how, but basically I never got to watch it, and by the time they were rerunning it I had watched the first two episodes to death on GBA Video and had honestly had enough of it. I've watched several episodes (my absolute favorite is the baseball episode where we figure out that next to no one in the Sonic universe can play baseball XD) and it's okay. I don't hate it, but I sure don't love it.

7. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Jason was never good.

8. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Good riddance. The show was beyond lousy, with frequently terrible animation, rampant with flanderization of the entire cast, dull plots/adaptations of the games, and starring that spotlight-stealing little shit known as Chris rather than Sonic himself.

9. Jay T.

Jay T.

It takes an idiot to do cool things... Member
    Sonic X was, okay to me. It wasn't great, but it wasn't terrible neither. It had moments I liked, and it was interesting to see them use plots from the games rather than the usual random stuff, but it's not without flaws. The idea of Chris didn't bother me too bad. I'm guessing they wanted someone that the younger audience could relate with or something of the sort. I kind of remember seeing a clip or two of the Darkstalkers cartoon that had a different main character, so I guess the approach was similar. I guess something like that worked back then, but now, not so much.

As for the voice acting, I kind of think the amount of negativity online bothered me more than the change itself. Took time to adjust, but I wasn't put off by it completely. I felt kind of bad for Jason. I thought he got better as time went on, and I really liked his role in Unleashed. Won't deny I was a tad disappointed he wasn't coming back after that, but thems the breaks. I do like Roger's role as Sonic though.

It was a matter of time this was gonna happen anyway. Got mixed feelings about the idea of a redub, but I'll give it a go if it ever happens.

10. Rabid

Rabid

The Pallete Master Oldbie
    I didn't mind Sonic X too much, really like the way it roped the stories of SA 1 + 2 and explained why there was a whole city of people in sonic's world.
    I also couldn't stand the English dub, eventually Chris's, Amy's and Cheese's voices drove me to stop, but I do remember an age when the sonic community tried a hand at it's own dub, didn't get far I think possibly on the old SSRG... I don't think it was as old as Area 51... but I digress.

11. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    It was during the CulT days.

12. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Yes, it was CulT. I still have some of our clips and video somewhere, it was terrible =P

13. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Too bad the idea died. I'd have loved to see a Sonic X Abridged by CulT. Though, this was way before YouTube became big and abridges were even a thing.

14. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    If it's Sonic X Abridged you're after, Sonic F hasn't done a terrible job (of what few episodes they have done):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyoFoL4YtV4

15. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Oh god I remember those CulT parody's. we need to upload those even if they were terrible, those were fun times.

Yeah but too bad Sonic F takes 6 months to release 1 episode.

16. Kushami

Kushami

Oldbie
    Not to derail the topic, but I just wanted to say thank you for the props! I was the DVD Producer/Package designer on Cybersix and I work on all the Lupin titles as well as Sherlock Hound. It's nice to know people appreciate the hard work!

17. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Do you think asking them to produce Sonic X dvds is possible then?

Lupin eh? tell me have you heard of a guy named Lee Sparkes at all? just curious, he also goes by the username Bolt7 as well.

18. Kushami

Kushami

Oldbie
    Asking them couldn't hurt? I don't control at all what DT licenses, though. So I dunno.

Yeah. I do all the Lupin packaging and sort of oversee some of the production of content with my friend Reed Nelson. We recently wrapped up the Cagliostro DVD. I haven't heard of Lee Sparkes/Bolt7, though, sorry!

19. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    I was just wondering if it was a legitimate possible thing that could happen. like you said, guess it wouldn't hurt.

Its okay, hes a good friend of mine and a member here at Retro. he doesn't visit much due to his job and his hobby of running a Lupin The 3rd newssite (which I'm gonna plug)
    http://lupincentral.ghost.io/
    http://lupincentral.tumblr.com/
    https://twitter.com/lupincentral

Hes got allot of connections so I was just curious. :)

20. Tharthan

Tharthan

The Literal New England Patriot Member
    Well praise the lord that at least one IP is out of Saban's grubby hands.