don't click here

Sonic Boom Moves to NYC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by RGamer2009, May 22, 2014.

1. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    + - Spoilers - similar story for Retro at SoS, from what I can remember. In fact if anything, we tend to get more Sonic t-shirts at post-SoS days and Barcade runs...  

2. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    I can confirm that no one in our group wore Sonic stuff. I just remember being in my CM Punk Best in the World shirt (because I am the Best in the World. :specialed: )

I don't know, I don't see the appeal of going full fan out if you're going to these kinds of events. It's not like wearing a team jersey or shirt of your favorite competitor if you go to a sporting event. This is just Sonic...

3. Lambda

Lambda

If you're not willing to "fan out", then why would you care enough to spend the money and go to the event?

To be fair, I'm not a cosplayer or something like that. I'm just going to be wearing a Sonic t-shirt, and that'll be the extent of my "fanning out", but I dunno... it's sort of a "when in Rome" thing.

I'm going to the event as a fan, so I might as well dress like one. If, for instance, I were going to Sega HQ for some reason, I'd dress business casual, because I'm going to a place of business.

All of that being said, in the end it doesn't really matter. Just my perspective. I like to "dress the part".

4. Jen

Jen

#lapidot Moderator
    England
    Various drawings
    I always wore Sonic shirts to SoS, but that's partially because I've got so many of the sodding things =P

If you're at a Sonic convention, that basically says "hey, I'm a Sonic fan" - so you don't need to wear the shirt or do the cosplay or whatever else. Even though I personally do tend to "fan out" at things like this, I can perfectly understand why other people don't want to. If Boom is anything like SoS, you're absolutely surrounded by all things Sonic basically constantly; somtimes you can have too much of a good thing ;P

5. Some more people! Let's get organized. What's the easiest way to do that? =P I was thinking maybe Facebook ? I'm guessing we don't all want to exchange numbers =P

6. GeneHF

GeneHF

Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Or just... organize here. :v:

When in Rome would equate to wearing all blue, a Sonic-themed shirt and one of those ill-fitting goofy looking Sonic themed hats. :v:/>/> Mind you, I only have a few decent memories of Boom 11 and Boom 12:

-Meeting Retro crew for the first time in person
    -E3! (Like Boom, once you've gone once, every other time is eh. Magic dies.)
    -JaxTH stalking people who were likely underage. :colbert:/>
    -The Grand Retro/Stadium Barhop
    -Driving people around in L.A. in SS' rental car for the first time ever as designated because everyone else was too shit-faced, and the GPS was busted.

...oh, something Sonic related... um...

-Meeting Ruby. He's a pretty cool guy. Would share beers with now that it's not a big conflict of interest (or sodas. Root beers are nicer!)
    -Sick of watching so-called Games "journalists" bumble their way through a Sonic game, show how to really play Sonic Generations (game wasn't out yet. Two links.)

-San Diego~. Glory to the nacho/french fry combo baskets at roadside Mexican shops
    -Smash 64 with oldbie A2K and his roommate
    -The Retro Pre-Boom Event at YardHouse A2K and I almost blew off because of Smash. Skyler's a mark.
    --Sidenote: the awkwardness of random other Sonic community people joining us and having to endure their awful conversations and hyper social awkwardness. Sorry guys, time and place to begin loudly yelling out insipid SA2 dialog.
    --That one guy who wanted a photo with Retro and asked his parents to take a picture.
    --Said group going, "Oh, you're Gene! Awesome!" when I introduced myself, then A2K introduces himself and gets a, "...Who?"
    -SOCIAL EXPERIMENT. (the stares people walking by were giving were better.)
    -Ruby confirmed Big's Fishing Adventure for the first time.
    -JaxTH continuing to stalk underaged prospects. :colbert Crib-robber.
    -The Grand Retro Adventure the next day where we ALMOST (not really) stole a giant sized Sonic statue (also meeting Kellie and Trippy.)

...oh right... actual Sonic stuff again...

-People joining me in heckling Iizuka when you can tell he was just giving BS answers to fan questions. I'm glad he went more troll mode the following year (and that disastrous Q&A, while hilarious to watch in how bad it got, is likely why he's not doing it this year.)
    -My ears bleeding. Literally. I don't know if it was the Crush 40 concert or some 11-year-old girl next to me shrilly bleating out Live and Learn. Either way, I lost hearing.
    -Skyler, SS and I hijacking the show at times by chanting toward Ruby, S0L, Ken Balough, and Kellie... and some other stuff.

Okay, so it's more than a few, but most of it had little to do with the brand itself. It felt more like a means to go somewhere, but get bored quickly of it and go find more fun things to do. Drinking was usually involved and I always set myself as the designated (because I love being the one that remembers all this nonsense.)

7. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    Let me echo the sentiment that the event is more about the people you meet up with more than the brand. Most of us are far too old and/or jaded to be excited about anything from Sonic, online or in person, and it's more about shooting the shit with each other.

We'll see about that come Santa Clara. :colbert:

8. PicklePower

PicklePower

Wiki Sysop
    Is anyone from the Chicago area planning on flying out to NYC? I'm feeling crazy enough to fly out there but I'm not crazy about flying out there alone.

9. Barry the Nomad

Barry the Nomad

Site Staff
    Chicago
    SEGAbits
    As noted earlier in the thread, I'll be attending.

Not mentioned in the thread as of yet is that I'll be the only official Sonic Retro person going who has access to the news page and the Twitter account - I'll also be covering the event for SEGAbits. Though, honestly, I'll be mostly there for the spectacle of it all and will likely not be recording long stretches or attempting to upload some hyper slick video the next day. I'm sure there will be more than enough people video taping the thing anyway.

However I will be taking photos and will be doing the social network thing for both sites. So if you want to make it in life and be seen on the Retro twitter, find me and I'll make you a star.

I'll likely be driving into the city at around 2pm, and my only real plan outside of Boom is to hit up VideoGamesNewYork which is a 40 minute walk from the event. Not sure how early people be lining up, the Facebook page for the event says over 2k people "are going". Is this legit? If so, then goddamn and I guess I need to line up as soon as I get there.

I'm up for meeting up with Retro forum members nearby so I don't look forever alone, so if anybody is interested let me know.

10. GeneHF

GeneHF

Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    2000 is overly generous. I don't think it's ever physically held that many people. You should be fine not lining up (unless you're fine with waiting in line with VERY enthusiastic Sonic fans.)

Really, if I was still going (I'm back in Miami for the rest of the week due to reasons) I'd have gone, gotten bored after an hour and left to go explore the city more, VGNY included of course. Nintendo World might be cool, what with Smash launch weekend and all, but eh. It's a little two-story store barely bigger than a typical Gap. Honestly, I stand that if the observation deck was open, I'd go to the top of the new World Trade Center.

11. Spindash54

Spindash54

Did you ever wonder how he spins in place? Member
    I'll be there. Not sure who's there I actually know though. Been awhile since I've been active in the community, though it's still nice to see some familiar names posting here like Overlord.

12. Barry the Nomad

Barry the Nomad

Site Staff
    Chicago
    SEGAbits
    I'll likely roll into NYC at around 1 or 2 and hit VideoGamesNewYork and then check out the line, if it's looking crazy I'll jump in. I secretly want to hire the Sonic Boom Uber car and roll up in that.

13. VideoGamesNewYork is incredible-- went there a few days ago. Amazing

14. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    From the Twitter:

[​IMG]

"do you know Sonic Retro?"
    "Yes, I know Sonic Retro!"

15. He knows of us :O

Sonic Boom is a'ight so far but man is it packed. And the line for Tracy Yardley is long !

16. Spindash54

Spindash54

Did you ever wonder how he spins in place? Member
    Mike Pollock is essentially entertaining us al night as a Eggman on a faux NY Late Night Show set. Having fun so far, though Iizuka was barely at the autograph table in the beginning. Hope he returns soon. Also, Jun has been breaking up the segments by live playing music over video of that respective level.

17. So I stood in line for four hours for Tracy Yardley to sketch me something and I was up next, then got cut off by the venue. I counted at least 6 cutters, along with the twerp who shoved his way through when I was next. I didn't end his life because I know how crappy the Tracy's night was, and he didn't need the drama of blood splatter at his table.

Much respect to Tracy though. He was a complete gentleman to all of the people I saw him deal with. Wish I had the chance to tell him I appreciate his work-- maybe I'll tweet him or something.

Outside of that, Sonic Boom was all right. Not amazing but was cool to finally get to see Jun perform.

18. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Did you guys bumrush the poor old man? =P

19. plushifoxed

plushifoxed

that power is yet unknown Oldbie
    jazzy nyc
    puella magi chroma magica
    surprise! I was there

I spent the whole time playing smash and carrying my friends' heavy-ass sonic suit head

then we went to times square and I got my 15 minutes of sanic
    [​IMG]

ok back to never posting

20. GeneHF

GeneHF

Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    You have fulfilled your posting requirements for the year. Good job.

So, attendees, what'd you think? Particularly, those who are multiple times attendees. Sounds like Mike did a fantastic job of a Late Night Eggman Talk Show.