don't click here

General Project Screenshot/Video Thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, Jun 26, 2008.

1. neonsynth

neonsynth

Previously 'SonicVaan' Member
    Germany, Stammbach
    gaming and music production
    Oh gaawwd! This reminds me of that second level from Sonic 2: Advanced Edit with that tune from Dangerous Seed... which I really love! Hope to see more from it. :D

2. ShadowsofYesterday

ShadowsofYesterday

I have no idea what's going on. Member
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sonic and the Magic Hat
    Both of those plants look nice, but that "blossomed" one is definitely my favourite. I also noticed the tree before I even read your post. I actually thought the tree was kind of stale before, so this is a nice improvement. Love the nice "barky" texture to it.

One thing I'm a bit confused on though is why a plant would be in a pot, out here in the middle of nature.

3. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Okay so whilst I've pretty much been running the Hacking Contest for some years now I pretty much stopped doing hacking myself. I did some music work on Sonic Boom, Sonic ERaZor amongst other stuff but that was years ago, I've fallen behind so much that many people can actually surpass my work nowadays. So I thought it's time to try and work on something myself, which is being called Sonic Excursion. The basic concept is that you play as three characters (Sonic, Tails and Knuckles) who have their own individual acts with bosses being split up between characters so only one will get a particular level boss but another will get another etc.

I haven't done any level art at all, it just wasn't my thing. And unfortunately, nowadays pretty much every hack demands it, so the only thing I can really do is mix up various pieces of artwork from other levels and try and make something else up.

[​IMG]

This is Morning Wood Zone (or as it's called now - Isolated Oak Zone), at least a mockup of it. The palette hasn't been fixed and I'm aware that there could be some shadows put in. I'm probably going to end up getting someone to help me clean it up.

Will I submit to my own contest and let the other judges look at it? Possibly. Will I actually finish this level? Probably not.

4. SpaceyBat

SpaceyBat

United States
    Freedom Planet 2
    :ssh:

Anyhoo, it's cool that someone's finally going to make additional tiles to go along with the Wood Zone graphics. What about adjusting the grass so that it follows a cylindrical curve like the tree bark beneath it?

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    ( ?° ?? ?°)

Trash if you must.

6. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    [​IMG]

7. Devon

Devon

I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me? Tech Member
    your mom
    Testing out the wild battle and the pokeball...

8. redhotsonic

redhotsonic

Also known as RHS Tech Member
    United Kingdom
    YouTuber
    Meh, I got bored, so I decided to do a test. How well does the underwater driver in Sonic 2 Recreation really work? (MD.emu was used to test the hack, as I believe it's the best Android emulator that's closest to real hardware) Listen to a snip-it of Mystery Cave Zone's music, then listen to it with underwater mode on, then to the test, with underwater mode off, but the music playing underwater! (sorry about the volume when literally underwater)

Well? Did ValleyBell do a good job?

Nice try, mate, but not accurate *runs*

9. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Retro 80's themed Twitch streamer ( on hiatus) Member
    You didn't stick the device you were recording with underwater, results of this video are not accurate enough. Penises got stuck in fans.

10. Clownacy

Clownacy

Tech Member
    If I can chip in, MD.emu is based on an earlier version of Genesis Plus GX, which I'm hearing good things about in terms of accuracy: some even saying it gives Regen a run for its money.

11. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I may have a WIP project that can convenience you:

[​IMG]

And if you get really far with the Adventure gimmick then there's more:

[​IMG]

How did you get the VS screens in full resolution by the way?

12. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    Apparently Fusion does screenshots like that by default. It also displays the full height in 2x scale, but it still doubles the width.

The sprites look nice. I don't think I'll be using Big, since there's no way I could top Big's Fishing Derby.

Edit: as long as I'm here:
    [​IMG]

13. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Thanx. Oh well. :P Liking the redone menu screen.

Is VS mode planned for any of the other characters? (If race mode for Sonic is planned you could maybe ask LoneDevil about his Metal sheets).

14. MotorRoach

MotorRoach

You don't know how happy those Big sprites make me. They are just so beautiful, and same goes for Tikal.

15. redhotsonic

redhotsonic

Also known as RHS Tech Member
    United Kingdom
    YouTuber
    Guh, there's always one smart ass! =P I'll redo it over the weekend, will that be of a satisfaction, sir?

Hm, I may look into that tomorrow when I'm on my laptop. But to my knowledge, MD.emu is best on Android, right?

16. Clownacy

Clownacy

Tech Member
    Oh... as it's running on an outdated (and, if Gen-GX's changelog is anything to go by, less accurate) version of Genesis Plus GX, the official and regularly maintained Retroarch port is recommended. Not by me, exactly, as I can't figure out how to compile an up-to-date version of the emulator, and shove the core into a Retroarch APK, and last I checked, its settings were a pain in the arse as there were less than in MD.emu, and the mode 1 support is hardcoded (anyone from the IRC should know about this all too well), and...

Well, technically, I wouldn't call MD.emu the best, but it's the best I can use, so go crazy. Theoretically, you could use the two's source code to update MD.emu's Gen-GX core, but I wouldn't know how that would turn out. You'd get better (read: existent) MCD support, I can tell you that much.

17. ShadowsofYesterday

ShadowsofYesterday

I have no idea what's going on. Member
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sonic and the Magic Hat
    Ha, I've actually been wanting to do exactly that for a while now, change the instruments and whatnot while underwater. Nice work there.

18. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Retro 80's themed Twitch streamer ( on hiatus) Member
    Quick copy/paste from SSRG that I was too lazy to post here sooner:

Taking a break from level art and such to mess about with this:
    Originally I planned to have a SEGA screen that was a nod to the one from Ultimate Soccer:
    [​IMG]

My original attempt was to use the art from that and add a few more colors to it:
    [​IMG]

I now feel that it looks horrendous, thus I've done a little something using the original artwork piece, shrunk it down, ran it through imagenesis then used photoshop to edit the palette and do a few hand edits. Here is the result. :
    [​IMG]

It's not perfect but it's the best I could do for now. I might touch it up more later.

Edit: Fix'd images.

19. LoneDevil

LoneDevil

Eternal Underdog Member
  20. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Wait a minute. Character editing in Sonic CD is possible?!? What are you using?

Agghhh. So far behind. I have the Amy sprites and everything.

By any chance will Metal's mission be to make Bad Futures?