don't click here

How to rip Dreamcast audio?

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Afro Thunder, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Afro Thunder

Afro Thunder

Call Da Doctor! Member
    NS, Canada
    Trying to get outta Dr. Dre mode, and actually release an album.
    Since this is Sega General, I figured it'd be best to post this here. Not that long ago, I made a post about ripping audio from a PS2 game via an RCA splitter. Due to a recent brouhaha concerning my funds, that option is currently out of the question. Now, the game I'm looking for also had a Dreamcast port, so if I knew what file types to look for in the rom, I could rip it through that. Are there any programs that can get Dreamcast audio?

2. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    The vast majority of Dreamcast games just use ADX files. Get an ISO, break it open, and look for anything with a .adx extension - this can then be played with plugins like foo_adpcm and in_cube on Foobar2000 and Winamp. Or VGMStream for either.

3. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    If the audio isn't streaming audio, you might want to see if there's a PSF2 or DSF audio rip already existing for the game.

DSF Central, when it was still around, had DSF rips of pretty much every Dreamcast game that didn't use Streaming audio. You could use the audio players mentioned above to convert a DSF or PSF2 rip into a streaming format more suitable for whatever you're trying to play the audio on.

Edit: As it turns out, DSF Central is still around. But they don't have a rip of Ready 2 Rumble Boxing if that's what you're looking for based on your post in the other thread. However, R2RR2 does have a PSF Rip, if that helps.
    PSF Central: http://psf.hcs64.com/
    DSF Central: http://dsf.hcs64.com/

4. Chibisteven

Chibisteven

US
    Sonic Shuffle is one of those wild cards (uses sequences, with it's own samples and DSP effects for 99% of it's music) and has no OST release. Annoyingly, the game's Jingles don't show in the sound test and there's a few missing music cues in the sound test. Such games like this aren't often encountered, so it's usually nothing to worrying about.

The vast majority as Overlord has stated use streaming audio and all you need is to crack open the ISO and look for it. Most streaming audio games have .adx extension (supports seamless looping), although some may use other ADPCM formats (The Grinch uses .STR for example - Dreamcast Version) and couple games have used MP3s. If your game has an OST release, try purchasing that soundtrack instead.

5. Afro Thunder

Afro Thunder

Call Da Doctor! Member
    NS, Canada
    Welp, I did what you said, and the game I'm trying to rip (Ready 2 Rumble Boxing 2) seems to be one of the few that doesn't use the ADX format at all. In fact, it doesn't seem to have any audio formats I recognize, even though I know the game streams its music. Here's the immediately available formats though cracking it open with Daemon Tools:

.PVR
    .BIN (tried cracking it open with Daemon Tools, but it got rejected)
    .DRV (an audio driver)
    - A Rating System File
    .DAT
    .SFD (A movie format)

Other than all that, there's absolutely nothing in the ISO that points to any types of obvious music formats.

6. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    I think Sonicblur's edit just answered your question if you missed it =P

7. Afro Thunder

Afro Thunder

Call Da Doctor! Member
    NS, Canada
    Indeed, these look correct, sonicblur. You saved me from a possible meltdown :v:/> Now, if I wanted to convert them to a different format (say, wav or mp3) via Winamp, how would I do so?

EDIT: There seems to be at least two tracks missing from this pack you linked. namely, the credits music, and the music that plays while introducing the boxers. Other than that, it's perfect.

8. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    In addition to input plug-ins to play formats like .vgm, .psf, .psf2 and .dsf, WinAmp has output plug-ins.
    I think WinAmp comes with a .WAV out plug-in by default, you could use that to convert to .WAV and use something like RazorLAME to convert the WAV to MP3. Or track down an MP3 output plug-in for WinAmp, but I'm not sure if there are any free ones since it's been years since I've done that.

If you switch to a file writer output plug-in you'll notice the music plays really fast and you don't hear anything. But when it's done you'll find the file in the place you configured to save it. Just remember to switch the output plug-in back to speakers or Audio out or whatever it's called.

Edit: It's possible that the two missing tracks you mentioned are actual streaming audio which would explain why they're not in the rip. But you'll have to find them on the disc. :-)

9. Afro Thunder

Afro Thunder

Call Da Doctor! Member
    NS, Canada
    And where is the default location for the files the wave plugin makes?

Edit: And the two tracks I mentioned aren't readily visible on the disc - be it the DC or PS2 versions

10. Chibisteven

Chibisteven

US
    In Winamp use Nullsoft Disk Writer. (out_disk.dll) and click play on any track in the playlist.

Be mindful of games that loop as they may sound off if they abruptly end before the loop starts again. Although any game that loops with the adx extension can be set to loop a certain number of times, and fade for you. Some other ADPCM games may require assembly via digital audio editor. I saw .xa for your game so all you may need to do is just convert to wav and not worry (as the track probably just restarts itself after it ends).

The audio rate is low (22,050), so if you want to burn to CD for example you'll have to up sample it to 44,100 Hz (you can use audacity and project rate if need be).

EDIT NINJA'D

Usually my music, although you change preference or options in Winamp to point to your desktop or mix into one file (sample rate converter in Winamp sucks, so don't use it).

11. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    It's worth noting foobar2000 also has output writing built-in.

12. Chibisteven

Chibisteven

US
    One of the best ones, too. When it comes to audio foobar2000 is almost untouchable, in it's capabilities. Winamp is more the general media player that's expandable, where foobar2000 is the advanced stuff.

13. Zeether

Zeether

Just be careful with converting to mp3 in foobar, some files won't work unless you mess with DSP presets like downmixing.

14. Chibisteven

Chibisteven

US
    It's well known that anything that has more than 2 channels (stereo), will not work with standard format MP3s. The codec is generally pretty limited on what it can support. Try Audacity with advanced mixing, it'll give you crap as well.

For downmixing to a 2 channel medium you have a choice of standard Stereo or Dolby Surround encoded material (the later is delivered to a standard Dolby Pro Logic (II / IIx / IIz) decoder). The first is easy as Hell to do. The second is more tough to do as it involves whether or not you have to phase-shift the surround sound channels in the back or sides, yourself or if they already have been phase shifted. You should also observes pan's law when dowmixing to standard Stereo as well.

You're talking about game music that hasn't even broken past 2 channel Stereo all that much. Even games that have 5.1 or 7.1 Surround Sound often just use simple up-mixing technics (rarely anything like Pro Logic at all) on any music that plays.

SAMPLE