don't click here

General Project Screenshot/Video Thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Clownacy

Clownacy

Tech Member
    Is there any way to introduce green to the palette without tinting everything green? I mean, changing the water and sky to green would alone have a large effect on the atmosphere of the level. Sure, my eyes don't hurt, but I feel like I'm suffering from sensory deprivation; I'm seeing everything in one colour.

2. AkumaYin

AkumaYin

Perhaps I'll change it so that there's a bit less green in the palette. However, there still will be a good deal of green; I'll just add a bit more variety.

3. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    I'm in agreement. Unless it's the main focus of the hack, like... say Color Contrast, that's something that should be avoided.

Also even with the improved palette... Sonic STILL blends in too much with the background. His palette needs some work as well IMO.

That being said, and as I point out in my soon to come YouTube review video... some of the palettes in the hack aren't so bad... It's really mostly the first ones you see.
    Also do use level select and check out Labyrinth Zone... there is something pretty cool in the works there. *wink wink*

4. AkumaYin

AkumaYin

I... don't exactly know what you mean by that. You could drop me a PM describing what it is if you're not willing to describe it in public.

Now, there is supposed to be a good deal of green in the hack, probably because green is Chaoxilla's favorite color. =P

And, I assume you've checked out SLZ's palette? Now that one is beautiful, in my opinion.

I'd also recommend listening to music in the sound test. Some of it may not be the best, but there will be more and a few of the current songs may improve or change.

5. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    The water skipping feature thing you got going on over there. I jumped in the water and Sonic was hovering along the surface in a cool fashion

6. Clownacy

Clownacy

Tech Member
    Isn't that an old Vladikcomper guide?

7. AkumaYin

AkumaYin

Yes, that is an old guide I found. I thought it would be a neat feature to have.

8. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    It's honestly the one big thing that stood out the most in your hack. I think if you can get more unique stuff like this going on, and just tweak your palettes a lil bit more, you'll have something cool here.

9. AkumaYin

AkumaYin

I have stated that the hack is incomplete on a certain level, mostly due to the Hacking Contest deadline. Actually, I'm just the co-creator of this hack; Chaoxilla is the main creator and creative mind, whereas I do most of the music and coding. (I do some other stuff besides that, too, like the tweaked GHZ palette.)

I'm glad somebody's giving feedback that's a lot better than in the Hacking Contest entry; really, some people probably only play the first level for 10 seconds and only focus on the level palette before closing the emulator and voting for the Big the Cat Community Trophy.

EDIT: If you want a screenshot of what the old palette looked like, here's one:

[​IMG]

10. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    One thing id go for is if you guys want a green sonic, make his skin color something else, that doesnt clash...

And yea thats too bad that some people feeling inclined enough to vote and comment didnt seem to look for both pros and cons... based on what ur saying, IDK I never read those.

11. AbsoluteG

AbsoluteG

disgusted by origins plus Oldbie
    A black Hole
    life and shit..., a sonic 1 remake
    [​IMG]

Trying to get back into the hacking game, after I originally had ended this project after on and off work for years. It's been a while.

12. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    I really love the strong emphasis on curves there, they're implemented graphically well! It makes the level feel somewhat brand new.

13. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    Working on an experimental layout for Labyrinth Act 1. Apologies for the mediocre palette, it's been that way since I basically started the hack years ago XD

From the description:

14. AbsoluteG

AbsoluteG

A black Hole
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Another couple of screenshots from my project. where I basically redrew some of the graphics for a few of the levels. I still gotta figure out how to make the game load objects in the background plane for Spring Yard. as I want to eliminate the old uncompressed art sparkles I'm using in this screenshot.

15. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    That's rather cool stuffs, the LZ background especially!! What are the bright white streaks in the background? I'm assuming it's shards of light from open holes on the ceiling, but I can't be sure, Either way it looks like it has great depth!

Regarding objects in the background, be warned, it will require all of the FG plane to be high plane, this is to bring the FG infront of the sprites. This may cause an issue with Sonic however, since his graphics are sprites, this may mean needing some sort of pathswapping object (not to change the path, but to change Sonic to high plane/low plane, so he can go infront of or behind certain FG sections). CPZ is a good example of this. Worth checking out.

16. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    I really like that Labyrinth shot.

17. AbsoluteG

AbsoluteG

A black Hole
    Yes, I'm well aware of that, though the problems I'm trying to solve is a bit more complex. Specifically what I'm trying to accomplish is this...
    [​IMG]
    According to what HCKTROX had told me when I was helping him out formerly with a hack, He had found supposedly that S1 had at one time the ability to load objects to the background plane too. Which might explain how Sparkling Zone had animated Sparkles in the background in the game's development. I'm not sure if reenabling that is even possible.

Currently Spring Yard/Sparkling uses a ton of uncompressed art, pretty much maxed out to the limits uncompressed art can be used. it takes up a lot of space and makes the level take a while to load. I'd discuss this more, but perhaps I should make a new topic. or discuss this via private messaging. I don't want to fill up the screenshot thread with posts like this :P.

18. flamewing

flamewing

Emerald Hunter Tech Member
    France
    Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
    HCKTROX is wrong; S1 never had the ability to load objects to the background plane. It has the ability to align sprites with the background plane. It is all controlled by bits 2 and 3 of obRender:
    Code (Text):
    1. obRender & $C    Effect
    2.    0             Object is positioned in absolute coordinates
    3.    4             Object is potitioned according to level coordinates ($FFF700)
    4.    8             Object is potitioned according to background coordinates ($FFF708)
    5.   $C             Object is potitioned according to background coordinates ($FFF718)
    SCD has similar capabilities; it is S2 and S3&K that no longer have it.

19. FireRat

FireRat

Nah. Fuck it. Banned
    Chile
    Mobius Evolution 2
    Hmmm... Not exactly:

- At some point, like flamewing said, some objects could indeed had the ability to be rendered with the background coordinates.
    - However, what I tried to say, is the following:

From ObjPos_Load (If we're in GHZ1):
    Code (ASM):
    1.         ; . . .
    2.         lea (ObjPos_Index).l,a0 ; load object list pointers
    3.         movea.l a0,a1
    4.         adda.w  (a0,d0.w),a0    ; load object list for the level
    5.         move.l  a0,($FFFFF770).w ; load first pointer, ObjPos_GHZ1
    6.         move.l  a0,($FFFFF774).w ; load first pointer, ObjPos_GHZ1
    7.         adda.w  2(a1,d0.w),a1
    8.         move.l  a1,($FFFFF778).w ; load second pointer, ObjPos_Null
    9.         move.l  a1,($FFFFF77C).w ; load second pointer, ObjPos_Null
    10.         ; . . .
    and like so:
    Code (ASM):
    2.         dc.w    ObjPos_GHZ1-ObjPos_Index, ObjPos_Null-ObjPos_Index
    Such dead code/pointers lead me to think that at some point S1 had the ability to load two obj lists at same time, perhaps each with different coordinates, the second possibly meant for objects rendered by setting the background coordinates at obRender.

My english isn't this good to explain it very well, but if you understand, it's required to work like this in the case you need to have background sprites at "free positions"
    I re-setup it for the trees that appear between FG and BG planes here:

20. AbsoluteG

AbsoluteG

A black Hole
    I figured it out, it was thanks to a lot of work today, that I was successfully able to implement Spring Yard's Sparkles.
    [​IMG]

I still have a lot of work to do with them, but you and flamewing I thank a lot for this.